Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if anyone on here has had experience with the brake system from a factory 2012 Dodge Charger Pursuit package. I bought one about a month ago used with only 43,000 miles on it and since it wasn’t actually a patrol unit, I figured I got a steal. The car is fantastic and with my job as a supervisor in private security they love it. Problem is the brakes squeal like a dying pig even though they’re brand new, I have them change because the originals I bought with it were squealing. Apparently they are incorrect rotors and pads, even though the pads are carbon ceramic. It could be that the rotors aren’t vented or slotted, but before I bother going and getting new ones, I’d like to see what other people in this position have done. Apparently a call to the neighborhood O’Reillys priced a set of rotors for a pursuit at 700 bucks for the whole kit. I don’t see any way in hell that’s possible, so I’d like to try to find a way that will work without a break squeal but still have effective stopping and cooling power. Help Charger lovers!

·
Registered
417 Posts
For the noise coat the back of the pads with Permatex disc Brake quiet. Been using it since the 70's. You can apply it to the shims or remove them. I coat the shims. Its tacky.

As for hardware, you want MOPAR sales code BR9 (pursuit) brakes. I get StopTech from Tirerack.com and Powerstop Z37 (TopCop) pads.

For everything you want to know about the police brakes on the charger go HERE, a thread on converting lesser sales code brakes to the BR9.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a link? Im not finding them. Or if you have a part number I usually use Summit Racing

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just an idea, there is always a trade off when it comes to brake pads. Typically the normal consumer wants less dust, less noise.. Most of these do not equate to a performance oriented pad. So the more performance you go the more noise, and dust you will get. Pursuits are designed on that level so it may be normal. Mine squeak every so often, specially when warmed up but never fair to deliver great bite.

But, alot of squeals are harmonics and that brake "goo" or silicone helps calm that down.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
BR9 brakes came out in Mid-2014 (front only) the full front/rear set appeared in 2015. They will fit any non-Brembo steering knuckle.

To get rid of the noise try taking the rotors off and wire brushing the hub surface..any rust spots will not let the rotor sit flush and can cause all kinds of problems from vibration to noise.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts