Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’ve recently had the oil changed in my Car & happened to look underneath my car & see there’s a lot of oil everywhere. Could this possibly be that the oil drain plug wasn’t tightened properly or could it be something else?
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Tire

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Tread Automotive design

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I'm assuming by your username that it's a 3.6 Pentastar? Have you checked the tightness of the filter and plug? I'm not familiar with that motor, but I'd check the filter and make sure it's tight, and make sure the gasket from the old filter isn't still there.

There was also recently a thread about something similar, let me see if I can find it.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm assuming by your username that it's a 3.6 Pentastar? Have you checked the tightness of the filter and plug? I'm not familiar with that motor, but I'd check the filter and make sure it's tight, and make sure the gasket from the old filter isn't still there.

There was also recently a thread about something similar, let me see if I can find it.
Yes, it’s a 3.6. I’ll have to take a look at the filter & check out the gasket hoping it’s an easy fix

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oil running down the transmission is a tell-tale sign the oil filter housing is leaking. Sometimes the O-Rings at the base will leak and sometimes the housing will crack if the cap is over-tightened--which may be the case for you.The torque is only 18-ft lbs. The upper & lower intakes have to come off to replace it.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Oil running down the transmission is a tell-tale sign the oil filter housing is leaking. Sometimes the O-Rings at the base will leak and sometimes the housing will crack if the cap is over-tightened--which may be the case for you.The torque is only 18-ft lbs. The upper & lower intakes have to come off to replace it.
That looks to be the likely cause as you can see the oil is dripping down from above the pan. Gravity and wind is spreading it all around the cross member there.

Best,

Reactions: mrminux

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Who did the oil change? Filter assembly is under the engine cover in the center front. If they over tightend the filter cap it can break the housing under the intake manifold.
Also they are supposed to replace the oil filter cap O ring with each oil change. Maybe they forgot to put new one on.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,591 Posts
Good luck getting them to admit and cover it. $109.00 (Aftermarket) to $279.00 (MOPAR) from Rock Auto.
Getting trade-craft auto servicing these days is a long shot.
I have read lots over the years about these cracking so it may be just a coincidence?

Auto part Electronic device Circuit component Camera accessory Machine

Reactions: Gtchargerr

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
The only way to be sure is to wash it all down, get her up on a lift and then trace the leak upwards to the source. It's also possible that the tech wasn't careful and spilled a bunch of oil when refilling after the oil change. If that's the case, you wouldn't see any oil drip once you clean all the existing shizz off there.

Good luck!

Reactions: Gtchargerr

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only way to be sure is to wash it all down, get her up on a lift and then trace the leak upwards to the source. It's also possible that the tech wasn't careful and spilled a bunch of oil when refilling after the oil change. If that's the case, you wouldn't see any oil drip once you clean all the existing shizz off there.

Good luck!
That's a nice thought, but I wouldn't think the oil would be so dark.
I've heard there's a all aluminum housing. Appears to be made by dorman. So take that for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
That's a nice thought, but I wouldn't think the oil would be so dark.
I've heard there's a all aluminum housing. Appears to be made by dorman. So take that for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Dorman is crap. Aren't they the ones who make the junk lifters?

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
674 Posts
Font Material property Parallel Paper Paper product

Obviously every shop will be different. But here is the receipt from when mine cracked.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Its my understanding the aluminum filter housing does not fit 2018 and up models years. If the car is under warranty, Stellantis will replace the o-rings if there is no visible damage to the housing. This policy is based on inspection of removed housing by Stellantis after the returns were inspected which concluded the majority were not cracked nor were the glued galley plugs on the housing were leaking. If it continues to leak after seals are replaced, the dealership will then be allowed to replace the housing under warranty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
David Pike has a good explanation of the issue and which Pentastars the Dorman fits.
He verifies that Chrysler made their techs replace the o-rings first before replacing the entire unit.
If you look in the valley below the cooler you will see oil collecting if its leaking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts