Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally ordered a 2014 R/T R&T with track pack around 12 days ago. Called the dealer today to see what VIN number will be so I can track it. The dealer said they lost the sheet and if I get them a copy they will submit tomorrow. They also said it is around 6 weeks to have the car to me.
So I am being told I have a all in 8 week wait!
Am I right to be a bit upset about the situation? Should I be asking for comps at this point? Is it really taking 6 weeks?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
6-8 weeks is nothing!! Ask your dealer for the VON not a VIN. Until the order has been approved and scheduled its a VON then it becomes a VIN. My car took close to 15 weeks. 6-8 weeks is pretty quick, but if sales start to slow down and what you ordered is not so common it may take longer. I think you are getting a little excited. Your car will arrive it just takes time so relax, and get to know the codes for production, the production 800# and track your car. Once it is approved and all materials for the build have been acquired your car will go from approved to build to built in 24hrs...then the wait begins as it gets quality checked....moved to storage...moved to rail...waits for rail...loads on rail...ships on rail...unloads at rail yard.....loaded for delivery....accepted by dealer

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I've ordered several Chrysler vehicles and 6-8 weeks is typical. However, I was pleasantly surprised this last time as the time was cut down. I ordered on 12/07 and took delivery on 12/31... but Dodge shut down regular production for the entire month of December to focus on sold orders. I guess this makes up for the others that took the entire 8+ weeks.

Trust me, the next several weeks are going to be the slowest in your life... and they only get slower as the due date approaches. But when she gets there, the wait will be worth it.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
So finally ordered a 2014 R/T R&T with track pack around 12 days ago. Called the dealer today to see what VIN number will be so I can track it. The dealer said they lost the sheet and if I get them a copy they will submit tomorrow. They also said it is around 6 weeks to have the car to me.
So I am being told I have a all in 8 week wait!
Am I right to be a bit upset about the situation? Should I be asking for comps at this point? Is it really taking 6 weeks?
Thanks in advance.

Looks like there are two separate issues here:

#1) Sounds like the Dealer fumbled the ball by losing the order sheet. One does have to wonder how long they would have waited to contact you if you hadn't called them.

#2) Length of build time...6-8 weeks is pretty good. Last car I "ordered" was my 2001 Sebring Convertible. I ordered it in early January, and it was delivered in Mid-February...roughly 6 weeks later. The dealer was surprised it came in that quickly. In my 2005, my parents ordered a 300C, and it took over 3 months for the car to come in.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok , so glad didn't have new car today,
Snow storm, wtf, Atlanta. Guy in front of me wrecked and I had to a ditch so as not to hit him. With my car safely stopped I helped push a lot of people up the hill and then a bunch of people pushed me onto the road. Snow + lowered car + ditch = suck. Lol
Car isn't damaged, I'm just cold and tired, what a crap day. I'm closing my department tomorrow. My people don't need to be our in this crap.
If it had been the 2014 I would have openly wept. Lol.

Tried to upload pic but app isn't working.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Dude... Birmingham here, so I feel your pain. Stuck in the &@?!¥#€%£ office and can't go home due to the snow. At least it wasn't your new Charger and you weren't hurt. She'll get here soon enough. This is the most difficult point in waiting for delivery. The anticipation damn near kills ya.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the story continues. Dealer committed to expedited shipping...LIES.....I was supposed to pick it up today. Now they are saying they don't know why it hasn't left New York and it will be a few more weeks. I wish there was some way I could file a complaint. 18004adodge isn't any help. I have all the correspondence from the dealer in email as they refuse to answer or return calls.
I really don't care about a good deal at this point. Should I tell them to keep the car and go elsewhere? I don't mind the wait, I'm sick of being lied to.
Thoughts?
Dodge cares help me out?

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
expedited shipping? did you pay extra for this service? I've never heard of a dealer being able to expedite shipping.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
There isn't anything productive to be done here. It's a sales department doing what it does... bend reality.

Fact is, it takes a couple months to build an ordered car because the factory has to run a couple months behind. Otherwise you have a lean week or two and have to idle the factory waiting for orders to come in. This is done deliberately in order to never have excess inventory of parts or cars. Orders to suppliers are placed weeks in advance of the parts being needed at the factory to build your particular vehicle.

Shipping is a similar situation. In order to not have costs through the roof, the vehicle distribution network is designed to allow full trucks and trains all the time. Cars will be moved from yard to yard in batches, and eventually make their way to a dealership lot. There generally isn't anything to do that will speed that up. It can take a week or more for a vehicle to arrive.

Yes, dealerships make stuff up. That's pretty much a given.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
There isn't anything productive to be done here. It's a sales department doing what it does... bend reality.

Yes, dealerships make stuff up. That's pretty much a given.

That's the only reason I'm upset, if they would have said "we messed up and took three weeks to place the order, and it will take 3 months now sorry but we can't do anything" I would have been ok with it, however the keep "bending the truth" that's the problem, if one of my people lied to our customers or committed to things they knew we couldn't deliver I would fire them, quickly.
I guess I'm expecting too much from the dealership, however when they put it in writing that they will expedite shipment I do expect them to do it, and if they don't I would expect a company like Dodge to make the situation right. Being in shipment for three weeks already is pretty absurd, and now 2 more weeks? You can ship anything next day, I do it with car sized crates everyday, yeah it's not cheap but if my people committed to it I would fund it to preserve the company's image and not to lose customers.
I really am just sick of being lied to, thanks for letting me vent guys.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't worry. You will get your car. Did you hear about the train that went off the tracks and overturned back a few weeks ago that was coming down from Michigan and Canada full of brand new cars on it? Look on the bright side. Things could be a lot worse and your car could've been on that train lol.
Don't worry. You will get your car if the train doesn't go off the tracks and flip over like the other one did a few weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts