Charger Forums banner

Do you pre-fill your oil filter?

• Yes, I do pre-fill it.

Votes: 64 54.2%
  • No, I put it on dry.

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • I let someone else take care of that matter.

Votes: 8 6.8%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the consensus on prefilling the oil filter? I've looking around for an answer and haven't found anything definitive.

·
Registered
615 Posts
What is the consensus on prefilling the oil filter? I've looking around for an answer and haven't found anything definitive.
Why bother!

Most filters are at an angle if not horizontal, so filling it only makes a mess unless of course you are only partially filling yours, defeating the purpose.... which there is none! You are only saving a step anyway by doing that. I just fill till it is full on the dip stick then crank the engine for a few minutes, shut it off for a few more and then top it off!

Job done!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
When I remember to, I do it...

...there have been a couple of occasions where I've forgotten to pre-fill, and the clanking noise on start-up was sphincter-clenching!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I always pre-fill my oil filters as much as possible. The startup after an oil change are the hardest/harshest times your engine will see since it has no oil or pressure. Pre-filling helps cut that wear and tear down considerably.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I always prefill mine.
Easy on on the 5.7 as its perfectly verticle

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
YEp, alway prefill, but on horizontal filters, I only fill it halfway.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have never pre filled and oil filter. Whats the point?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i dont prefill mine. i put a little oil around the rubber seal though. i dont think theres a point in prefilling... the filter wont really be "full" till the engine is on forcing the oil through there at 30 psi or w.e

·
Registered
572 Posts
I prefill mine.....the oil filter is dry otherwise and would need to fill before the engine sees any of it, prefilling the filter gives the engine a bit to work with until the filter gets filled.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have always prefilled the filter. This is the way I was taught and there is no use changing the way I do it now. It is just my preference. IMHO

·
Registered
235 Posts
Why bother!

Most filters are at an angle if not horizontal, so filling it only makes a mess unless of course you are only partially filling yours, defeating the purpose.... which there is none! You are only saving a step anyway by doing that. I just fill till it is full on the dip stick then crank the engine for a few minutes, shut it off for a few more and then top it off!

Job done!
Definately fill! You are basically starting and running the engine "dry" for the time it takes to fill the filter! Purpose is to get oil into the engine and build pressure asap. For horizontal/angle mounts, put in as much as you can.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think the filter would fill before the your done changing the oil. My dad once forgot to put the oil filter on before putting oil back in the engine and it poured all over the floor. So I would think it would get filled after your first quart of new oil????

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Definately fill! You are basically starting and running the engine "dry" for the time it takes to fill the filter! Purpose is to get oil into the engine and build pressure asap. For horizontal/angle mounts, put in as much as you can.
Errrrrr...that's not actually true...... There is a film of oil left on all the mating surfaces which seperates the metallic components and as long as you don't rag the engine before the oil pressure light goes out, you won't be making much of a difference WRT engine wear. However, this being said, with filters that were almost vertical, I always filled the filter before fitment - from the outer holes, of course. And, with an engine in good condition, the difference between and filled filter and non-filled filter, the difference in the oil pressure light going out was a second or two. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I never pre-fill my filter. But maybe I will start. I never figured there would be that much of a dry start-up. I would think that maybe there is still oil on the cylinder walls. But with the srt8 it would be easy to pre-fill the filter.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Never have on any of my cars, the filter on the charger is the first one thats been vertical so I should start. I do on my semi. It holds almost one gallon. The fuel filter on the semi I put on dry and then use the hand pump to fill it, but thats a different story.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Is it just me or does the filter seem to take more oil to fill than it should? It takes damn near a whole quart, it doesn't seem that big just looking at it. :nervous s

It's bigger than it looks. Really, it is.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I used to pre-fill, but stopped doing it. I'll explain.

Advantage to Pre-Filling --> Less motor operation while in "dry" mode. In other words on the initial start up after an oil change, the cam and lifters are lubed "faster". I put faster in quotes, because I believe the time it takes for oil to circulate from the pump to a lifter is a matter of seconds (maybe even a fraction of a second).

Disadvantage to Pre-Filling --> You must have a lot of faith in the oil blender's filtration process at the blending plant because the oil you're dumping into the filter is being dumped on the clean side of the filter. Knowing my luck, I'd buy a bad batch of oil and dump shavings into my filter without noticing.

Just my two cent. Take it as you will.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Is it just me or does the filter seem to take more oil to fill than it should? It takes damn near a whole quart, it doesn't seem that big just looking at it. :nervous s

It's bigger than it looks. Really, it is.
I've heard that excuse before...... :smoke:

I used to pre-fill, but stopped doing it. I'll explain.

Advantage to Pre-Filling --> Less motor operation while in "dry" mode. In other words on the initial start up after an oil change, the cam and lifters are lubed "faster". I put faster in quotes, because I believe the time it takes for oil to circulate from the pump to a lifter is a matter of seconds (maybe even a fraction of a second).

Disadvantage to Pre-Filling --> You must have a lot of faith in the oil blender's filtration process at the blending plant because the oil you're dumping into the filter is being dumped on the clean side of the filter. Knowing my luck, I'd buy a bad batch of oil and dump shavings into my filter without noticing.

Just my two cent. Take it as you will.
That's why when I filled mine, I tipped it into the outer holes and let the oil leech into the centre cavity. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts