Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion, the Charger ought to have come with the option of having a standard transmission... I would have bought a std transmission as I like to be able to hold a gear thru a corner and shift when I want to.

Previously, I owned a Nissan Altima with an autostick but never bothered with it... after all it was only an Altima, not exactly a thrilling ride.

Today for the first time I used the autostick for the whole ride to work (~50 min) and it wasnt too bad.... down shifts are hard to do smoothly in the lower gears, but being able to control the upshifts made for a more interactive ride.

I did find that the position of the autostick was a little too far back but I could get used to that.

Anyone aware of an after market shift lever that move the stick forward?

Also, how many of you like to use the autostick feature on a regular basis?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I am extra lazy so I don't use it unless I am downshifting from 5th to pass on a highway or something like that, to get the jump on a car.

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Also, how many of you like to use the autostick feature on a regular basis?
Pretty sure there's lots of threads on this already, but I use Autostick 100% of the time, and I have since the day I picked up the car.

And you're right, without a clutch downshifting into first is sometimes somewhat less than smooth (as Miss Foxxxy can attest to) but that's life with the R/T.

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
131 Posts
It just doesn't feel right to me to have a stick but no left foot clutch...still very strange.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I don't use it daily, I'm too lazy. But I do have fun with it sometimes when I'm in the mood for a more involved drive. I did always kind of wonder why they even bothered though since the computer takes over shifting for you if you mess up. Kinda defeats the purpose I spose. I also had the down shifting problem where it wasn't so smooth but after much impatience and practise I have almost mastered the smooth downshift lol.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I use it 100% of the time, I guess I like control if I have the option.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I use it 50/50... I like to shift it to pass on highway driving, which is 90% of my commute every day... But I agree... I would have jumped on a 5 speed manual in a hearbeat.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
No offense to anyone, but I think Autostick is a total waste. What good is manually shifting in Autostick when the transmission is going to change gears on it's own anyway? I don't see the sense in it. I also don't understand why the overdrive can't be locked out like so many other cars. I don't need all that shifting going on in local driving. It's just unnecessary work that the trans is doing. I expected better from Daimler.

The second that Keisler has all the bugs worked out I'm dropping in the manual trans.

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
What good is manually shifting in Autostick when the transmission is going to change gears on it's own anyway?
I've seen more than one person refer to this on these forums, but I don't find that at all. The only time the trasnmission doesn't do what I tell it to is if I accidently try to downshift too early (it won't let me) or if I forget to upshift before the red line (It will shift for me to protect the engine). If I am driving hard at WOT, I purposely don't upshift so that I get the best possible acceleration. I let HAL take care of it for me. Usually when doing a fast start I will let HAL shift from 1st to 2nd, and then I will manually shift from 2nd to 3rd once i get up to speed. But under regular driving conditions I shift when at will, and the tranny does what I tell it to.

It's safer to shift manually (better control of the car) and more fun.

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use the stick in freeway traffic and on the streets. On the freeway with normal traffic, automatic to take advantage of the cylinder cut-off.

·
Registered
453 Posts
No offense to anyone, but I think Autostick is a total waste. What good is manually shifting in Autostick when the transmission is going to change gears on it's own anyway? I don't see the sense in it. I also don't understand why the overdrive can't be locked out like so many other cars. I don't need all that shifting going on in local driving. It's just unnecessary work that the trans is doing. I expected better from Daimler.

The second that Keisler has all the bugs worked out I'm dropping in the manual trans.

When u want to pass someone, downshift once or twice and floor it. You can't do that with a regular automatic.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've had a couple times where i downshifted a little to aggressively and chirped the wheels :nervous s

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
in the R/T I use the autostick EVERYTIME I had the cutouts open, if they were closed, I use auto just for the MDS. The SRT8 doesn't have MDS so I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use autostick, just seems more fun for me :)

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I use it every day!! I think if I cant have a stick shift Autostick is the 2nd best thing!!!

If you are not useing it you are def missing out!!!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
When u want to pass someone, downshift once or twice and floor it. You can't do that with a regular automatic.
Any automatic transmission is supposed to do that for you without touching it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Any automatic transmission is supposed to do that for you without touching it.
How does an average automatic know you want to go down to 2nd or 3rd gear if you're in 4th or 5th and ur speed is not declining?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't have to, my wife does it for me.:) Oh wait you mean in my charger? I have messed with it a few times but I am also not enamored with it shifting for me any way. The thing knows when its time to shift and will do it for me so I just let it do its thing most of the time. So am I to understand that MDS doesn't work when I am using autotick?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts