Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have a MAF screen on our cars? :)

I know that there is a slight performance gain by removing them! It also leans you out a tad which will increase performance.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't hold me to this.. But I think the Hemi is a Speed Density system and does not have a mass air flow sensor.. I think..... :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If you mean a Mass Air Flow screen, No.
The LX Hemi does not use a MAF system. They use a Speed Density system.
This type does not measure the amount of air entering the engine to calculate the amount of fuel to deliver. A speed density system uses the throttle position, engine RPM, inlet air temp, and manifold pressure to calculate the amount of fuel required. (02 sensor during light load)
This is the reason the engines don't respond well to mods. There is a limited rang of variance from the stock volumetric efficiency it can adjust to.
Once a programmer comes out with fuel maps to calculate fuel delivery to match additional CFM at given RPMs, our mods will come to life. It could be a programmer alone would be worth major horse power with out further mods.

If I left anything out I?m sure it will follow.
________
Ocean View Condominium

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
AZCHARGER said:
Do we have a MAF screen on our cars? :)

I know that there is a slight performance gain by removing them! It also leans you out a tad which will increase performance.
What are you, a Ford guy?! :whistle:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dutch said:
What are you, a Ford guy?! :whistle:

I know for a fact that removing the MAF screen on a car gives some preformance. It was flow tested on a Pontiac Grand Prix to give a 14% INCREASE in voulmetric flow!

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hey, Dutch, where were you when the new guy referred to the MDS as "Displacement on Demand", Chevys trademarked term?:)

I hear folks talk about how speed desnity systems not liking change, but in my experience, that depends on how those tables were written. How big a margin was programmed in. And I'm still waitning on programmers. Lotsa talk, no product, even almost a year after the 300C/Magnum were released.

·
Registered
549 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Hey, Dutch, where were you when the new guy referred to the MDS as "Displacement on Demand", Chevys trademarked term?:)

I hear folks talk about how speed desnity systems not liking change, but in my experience, that depends on how those tables were written. How big a margin was programmed in. And I'm still waitning on programmers. Lotsa talk, no product, even almost a year after the 300C/Magnum were released.
The rumor mill seems to be churning forth that something is in the distant future. I think the only reason that some of the programming companies are not messing with the SRT-4 crowd is they might think that the kiddies (yeah I know alot of adults own them too but there are a bunch of kiddies that do own them) will not pay enough money and order enough units to justify the time and effort spent on a tuner....and besides why would they want a tuner when they can just buy the staged upgrades from MaMopar with all of the parts anyway. Think about it...the tuner market is basically shot to crap due to staged upgrades for the SRT-4....just don't add more power then the staged upgrades can handle or the engine can handle for that matter.

Just my take on the whole thing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
not that anyone cares about the MAF screen anymore, but that is a common trick especially with GM cars, the screen is designed to straighten the airflow into the motor, and NO, FORD does not use screens on their units.

This is a temporary trick, that readjusts itself, and can also cause poor running of the motor over time, this is why porting MAFS caused so many problems years ago. Yes short term power gain, but when tested over time and at the speedway, it proved to be nill or hogey without some tuning to back it up. It is designed to work in a specific range that is preprogrammed in the chip that resides in GM's MAFS, where you plug in the sensor.

Sorry, used to be a big Chevy LS1 engine buff!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts