Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 R/T with all stock tires and rims (Michelin something, it's snowing outside and I don't want to go see what they are). These tires have been terrible. There are fewer than 28000 miles on the car, and I can't keep the tire on the front passenger side inflated... One picked up a screw the second day I owned the car... It got plugged (I know... radial tire... but it worked). A couple of rotations later, the same tire started acting up in the front again... Another screw... Another plug. Put it in the back and drive around on it for only a couple hundred miles... Then it gets cold outside and the front tire immediately ends up flat again... But that's not the one with the plugs in it. I find out when I'm spinning the back tires in the snow wondering why the hell I can't move that it's dead... Not sure why yet. I'll find out in the morning. Do these tires pick up everything they drive over or am I just *really* (un)lucky?

Honestly, I've never had tires that went flat as often as these. Is this a fairly common problem with the stock tires on the 06 R/T? With two unreliable tires, both on the same side, I'm going to have to buy a completely new set, which upsets me considering I didn't get nearly enough miles out of them.

A couple of questions for you guys:
1. Has anyone else had problems with these tires?
2. What kind of tires can I get to replace them that won't break me (it is the holiday season after all)?
3. WHERE do I get them?

I'm not *that* knowledgeable with cars, but I do know that I'm going to get screwed at the dealer or pretty much anywhere else if I take this car in to get the tires replaced at an all-inclusive tire place. I would love to see 4 new tires on this car for under $500, but from what I can see that's probably pushing it. If I buy tires on the Internet (maybe by using the 30% off Microsoft Cashback trick), where do I take them to be installed? I mean, I know they have to put the tires on the rims (and I know I can't do it myself), but I do know I can't stand these Michelins any longer. The tread fills up with snow and becomes a giant bologna skin on the road. Mixed with traction control and rear-wheel drive, I have a car that spins both back tires then cuts power to both because it thinks for some reason that might make me move... All at a 5 degree hill with a half an inch of snow on the ground... Then the flat tire to boot.

I've heard new car take-offs can be pretty cheap if I can get a hold of someone who has some for my car. I'm reluctant to even think about those because they could either be 1. Hot or 2. The same terrible Michelin tires that have failed me numerous times. Honestly, the donut is going to have more traction than these things at this point. They're just AWFUL.

Has anyone bought tires on the Internet and is willing to share secrets?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
I have an '06 R/T with all stock tires and rims (Michelin something, it's snowing outside and I don't want to go see what they are). These tires have been terrible. There are fewer than 28000 miles on the car, and I can't keep the tire on the front passenger side inflated... One picked up a screw the second day I owned the car... It got plugged (I know... radial tire... but it worked). A couple of rotations later, the same tire started acting up in the front again... Another screw... Another plug. Put it in the back and drive around on it for only a couple hundred miles... Then it gets cold outside and the front tire immediately ends up flat again... But that's not the one with the plugs in it. I find out when I'm spinning the back tires in the snow wondering why the hell I can't move that it's dead... Not sure why yet. I'll find out in the morning. Do these tires pick up everything they drive over or am I just *really* (un)lucky?

Honestly, I've never had tires that went flat as often as these. Is this a fairly common problem with the stock tires on the 06 R/T? With two unreliable tires, both on the same side, I'm going to have to buy a completely new set, which upsets me considering I didn't get nearly enough miles out of them.

A couple of questions for you guys:
1. Has anyone else had problems with these tires?
2. What kind of tires can I get to replace them that won't break me (it is the holiday season after all)?
3. WHERE do I get them?

I'm not *that* knowledgeable with cars, but I do know that I'm going to get screwed at the dealer or pretty much anywhere else if I take this car in to get the tires replaced at an all-inclusive tire place. I would love to see 4 new tires on this car for under $500, but from what I can see that's probably pushing it. If I buy tires on the Internet (maybe by using the 30% off Microsoft Cashback trick), where do I take them to be installed? I mean, I know they have to put the tires on the rims (and I know I can't do it myself), but I do know I can't stand these Michelins any longer. The tread fills up with snow and becomes a giant bologna skin on the road. Mixed with traction control and rear-wheel drive, I have a car that spins both back tires then cuts power to both because it thinks for some reason that might make me move... All at a 5 degree hill with a half an inch of snow on the ground... Then the flat tire to boot.

I've heard new car take-offs can be pretty cheap if I can get a hold of someone who has some for my car. I'm reluctant to even think about those because they could either be 1. Hot or 2. The same terrible Michelin tires that have failed me numerous times. Honestly, the donut is going to have more traction than these things at this point. They're just AWFUL.

Has anyone bought tires on the Internet and is willing to share secrets?
yep, michelins are soft because customers complain about road noise so they get soft tires and they go flat more often and wear faster. I had one michelin go flat 5 times in 10k. its a michelin i expected no more. I've been dealing with tires for over 11 year and they are by far one of the worst brands i've ever dealt with out of hundreds> now someone will get on this thread who has a set that they never had problems with and they will debunk my statement and say i'm wrong but oh well.
Kumho makes a tire, half the price of the michelin, with better trac, temp, and treadware ratings in this same size.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
First off it's a 3 season tire on the car.You really shoud have snow tires if your going to be out driving in the snow.As far as the front tire going flat have you had it checked?If there is nothing in the tire itself maybe the valve is bad.......tires don't usually go flat for the hell of it.And the Michelins are a 100x improvement over the Continentals these cars originally came with.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
TireRack.com has lotsa tires cheaper than most. Check them. You can have em shipped to your nearby, friendly autoshop to get mounted, balanced etc.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I can't stand these Michelins any longer. The tread fills up with snow and becomes a giant bologna skin on the road.
:rofl:

Mine didn't last long...too many burnouts at the track. :rocker:

yep, michelins are soft because customers complain about road noise so they get soft tires and they go flat more often and wear faster. I had one michelin go flat 5 times in 10k. its a michelin i expected no more. I've been dealing with tires for over 11 year and they are by far one of the worst brands i've ever dealt with out of hundreds> now someone will get on this thread who has a set that they never had problems with and they will debunk my statement and say i'm wrong but oh well.
Kumho makes a tire, half the price of the michelin, with better trac, temp, and treadware ratings in this same size.
Never had any problems with mine. You're debunked! You know, aside from the problem mentioned above!

First off it's a 3 season tire on the car.You really shoud have snow tires if your going to be out driving in the snow.As far as the front tire going flat have you had it checked?If there is nothing in the tire itself maybe the valve is bad.......tires don't usually go flat for the hell of it.And the Michelins are a 100x improvement over the Continentals these cars originally came with.
Winter tires should be mandatory in regions where there's a lot of snow. It is up here, where research shows that 80% of cars off the road have all season tires on them. However, one must also take into consideration HOW people drive...but winters definitely provide more stopping grip. That could make a huge difference...

TireRack.com has lotsa tires cheaper than most. Check them. You can have em shipped to your nearby, friendly autoshop to get mounted, balanced etc.
x2

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it's a new day and I decided to jack the car up and look at the tire to see if there was something stuck in it. Couldn't find anything, but I did realize they're good year assurance tires (not michelin as I thought). These are supposedly all-weather.

Either way, they suck.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
a/ does the tire say m +s ?
i'm assuming yes cause i think all assurances are

b/ michelins were put on the daytonas and contis on the r/ts because the michelins had a higher speed rating. Unfortunately since the michelins have a lower temp rating they baloon more at those higher speeds and turn egg shape even with 40+ psi in them which you should have if doing over 100. Its a joke.

The assurances have a higher treadwear and are a better tire then those michelins. 5 flats on those would most likely be from the same issue happening over and over to your car. I.e. a place with glass you drive to all the time. Michelins are terrible about that. They have no nylon weave in the steel belts (some models). Unless your getting a pilot sport michelin, i'd pretty much state they are all junk. they have for years been rated low on all the tires sites by the companies and the customers both. Unless its a caddie or lincoln type vehicle where the customer is looking for soft and quite which michelins excel at.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
By 26,000 miles I had to replace the original Continentals tires on my R/T. I don't do many burnouts and they wore out quickly even though I rotated them twice in that time.

I ended up getting new rims and tires from tirerack. I went with 20" rims with 245/45/20 Khumo Ecsta ASX's. They are great so far, I like them much better than the Continentals. Much more responsive in the corner with more grip. We'll have to wait and see how many miles I get out of them.

I had Cooper Weather Master snow tires mounted on the stock rims to run this winter.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
just fyi guys

tire maintence

pressure check weekly
rotate every 5k or 6k based on your oil changes
balance and rotate is every 10k
alignment is every year or any time the springs have sagged more than 1/16 inch from stock ride height

I see lots of people on many forums complain about only get this or that out of tires but never do i think any of them do the above, as outlined in the service manual.
I've gone 70-80 on 40k tires before. Now realize i work in the industry so balancing, aligning, all that junk is free for me so i have no excuse not too. its all about proper care and maintence.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
in short, to answer your question: Yes.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
just fyi guys

tire maintence

pressure check weekly
rotate every 5k or 6k based on your oil changes
balance and rotate is every 10k
alignment is every year or any time the springs have sagged more than 1/16 inch from stock ride height
I just looked at the manual and it does say every 6,000. Why the hell did my dealer tell me every 8,000 then?????

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Sounds to me like someone's punking you and putting screws under your tires. Do you have any enemies? ;)

I had the Michelin Pilots on my R&T R/T (Daytona without the stickers). They lasted ~33k and I never had a flat.

I now have Goodyear Assurance ComforTreds. Have about 10K on them so far, and they're better in snow than the Michelins, but they're not snow tires. No flats, yet. I wish they had TripleTreds in our size...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Go with 255/55/18 size tires.. wider tread footprint.. = better traction.. nitto 420s are good summer/rain tires and for cheap but not snow tires by no means..

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
big mech- who do you talk to at the dealers? salesman are idiots and bullspitters, service writers are self proclaimed techs who are idiots themselves. They can tell you what the manual says but they have no idea why it says it. Find a certified tech at your dealer , bring him donuts and he'll take care of your car .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts