Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get a copy of my key today at a local lockshop. He looked up in a book and told me to go to the dealership to get a copy of the key because it has a chip in it. Is this the case? and how much would it cost? I just want the key itself not the large black dodge key with the lock/unlock/and trunk release. thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Yes sir. You need the whole big black key assembly for it to work.
Not sure, but the dealer will charge you $40-50 or something close to that

·
Registered
626 Posts
I went to get a copy of my key today at a local lockshop. He looked up in a book and told me to go to the dealership to get a copy of the key because it has a chip in it. Is this the case? and how much would it cost? I just want the key itself not the large black dodge key with the lock/unlock/and trunk release. thanks in advance
You can buy an S code SKIM key and it will work. All Chargers (unless it's a cop car with the key-alike option) have the SKREEM chip key system. It's basically the old SKIM system (Grey key) with RKE added to it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yes sir. You need the whole big black key assembly for it to work.
Not sure, but the dealer will charge you $40-50 or something close to that
Nope. S Code key works just fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info, do i have to get the "S Code skim" key at the dealership? anyone know the price?

·
Registered
626 Posts
thanks for the info, do i have to get the "S Code skim" key at the dealership? anyone know the price?
They do make generic versions. As long as it has an S stamp on the blade by the grey cover. Not sure about price.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have always preached to my kids to get an extra key and hide it where you can find it. When I bought my Charger it came with the two key with chips and buttons. I didn't want to hide as it would get or what ever so I wnt to Lowes and had them dup the key. Now I have hidden that one. Should I lock myself out, I grab that one, open the trunk then grab my extra chip key to turn off the alarm. With a small square of velcro it sticks good anywhere its carpetted.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Do the Charger keys have a chip in them??????

I dropped my keys once and it got chipped when they hit the pavement. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Do the Charger keys have a chip in them??????

I dropped my keys once and it got chipped when they hit the pavement. :)
YES!!! Unless it's a cop car with the key-alike option in which case it would not.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I stand corrected.
Whats the fuke is a S Code key?
A SKIM key with an S stamped on the key blade. It does make a difference, some of the SKIM keys are different. They will work, I have done it before.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The regular key runs about 150 bucks from the dealer and will need to be programmed.

Not sure about the "S" key thing. Never heard of it.
Apparently you didn't read my occupation in my signature below my replies. I have done it numerous times. IT WORKS.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My charger only came with one key when I bought it and it cost me $137 for a new one from the dealer, that is the key and programming together.
:confused:only one key:confused:

I hope you bought used.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
How about that key on/off option?

After we shut my R/T down from my test drive and did some paperwork, we went back to start the car again but it wouldn't start. The guy who was showing me my car turned the key from off to on about 10 times and it kicked on.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
My charger only came with one key when I bought it and it cost me $137 for a new one from the dealer, that is the key and programming together.
Car is suppose to come with 2!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.