Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you know, I recently painted my dash pieces in black, to rid of the tan color. Well, it was all good for about 2 weeks, the paint (Krylon Fusion) realy holds up well. The problem is not the chipping, the problem is scratching. where ever you use the pieces the most (door panel pull handle, B pillar for the seatbelt), it's realy easy to leave white marks. Whenever you remove the seatbelt, it retracts right on that pillar and hits it, making it easy to scratch. Under the door pull where your fingers will hit, it's also easy to scratch. I don't have marks all over, but I have some; only 2 weeks after I painted. So you can see where this is going... imagine 3-6 months down the road, how many marks I will have... Good thing is that my car will be on storage for about 1 year. I had planned on getting teh Super Bee stuff when I come back from overseas, but had hopes that I wouldn't need. Unfortunately, I now WILL have to buy the stuff, lol.
So, a little advice for all that wants to rid of the tan color in the interior of your Charger, DON'T PAINT IT!!

I mean, myself driving the Charger, I can be carefull, but the passenger side where my wife rides, has the most marks. I dropped my car for a wash today, and the passenger side had more marks...

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
yeah i ran into the same thing on my other car. the only way i got past it was painting the interior with car paint/clear.

thats the only REAL way it will hold up to daily driving but then your pieces would be all shiny :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
You may want to try a paint sealer or clear coat. I'm not sure who exactly has them but they do make them and they also make it in a matte or glossless style. Yeah usually if you paint over another surface you MUST seal the paint or it will eventually scratch or flake off

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may want to try a paint sealer or clear coat. I'm not sure who exactly has them but they do make them and they also make it in a matte or glossless style. Yeah usually if you paint over another surface you MUST seal the paint or it will eventually scratch or flake off
I used clear coat, that's why they came out shiny. It's not chipping or scratching the paint off, I meant to say it scratches the clear coat and leave some white marks. Very minor, but I'm afraid it'll just get worse.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Goval you need to leave that poor car alone already, seems like your doing something new every week......................:tongue: just messen with ya

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have had a few issues also... and my parts are not even in the car yet.
they are sitting waiting to be installed.

I would definately advise people to purchase the bee parts rather than paint them...

best case.. purchase a bunch of parts that get the most wear first... then find the paint that matches the bee parts. if you still would like to paint.. then paint them.. then when you can afford to switch then do it. a group at a time.. that way your car matches while you do it...

That has become my new plan...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Has anyone tried using Dye instead of paint. Dye is supposed to solve this problem.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Spray dye doesn't penetrate plastic it just lies on the top of the part. The parts from the factory are dye injected so the color is the same throughout the part. No interior part thats painted will hold up like the original piece.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Spray dye doesn't penetrate plastic it just lies on the top of the part. The parts from the factory are dye injected so the color is the same throughout the part. No interior part thats painted will hold up like the original piece.
ok so it's either spend close to 2k to get it done right, or find a totaled superbee and buy the parts cheap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
has anyone tried to wrap the pieces in some kind of material like suede or leather? I was just wondering if there was a way to do that or if if would start to wrinkle up after awhile.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
pone of our members used neffy wrap(I think thats what it was called) to wrap his a, b, c pillars in for the carbon fiber look so Im sure a good vinyl would work.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Like a month ago i started wrapping my pillars with suede, here are pics of the first ones i got done.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
that looks great mikey! how hard is it to do?

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
UGHHH ....i saw a show on the SPEED channel a few nights ago. the guy was painting interior such as center consoles and showed all the steps on how to do it but most of all showed the exact paints to use....to bad i forget the name. ill try and figure it out post it up on this thread. its legit at the tip of my toungue

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Like a month ago i started wrapping my pillars with suede, here are pics of the first ones i got done.

mikey where do u get the suede...any write ups ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts