Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,016 Posts
Looks like too much anti-seize lube of some kind. Normally anti-seize grease is silver/gray in color and more like grease than oil. The mechanic may be using something else as a substitute. If oil was getting into the combustion chamber the electrodes would be oily. They look clean and dry. If oil was getting past the spark plug tubes (seals) the insulator section would be oily but they look clean and dry.
In either case the oil would be on the electrodes or the insulator section and not on the threads.
Make sure the new spark plugs are the correct plugs and check the gap on the electrodes. Use a small amount of anti-seize grease on the threads. I also use a small amount of dielectric grease on the bottom-inside of the coil spark plug tubes. This helps seal around the spark plug insulator against any cross-fire or oil leaking in.

Reactions: dtoro

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Djalbin you nailed it. I never use any anti-seize on the spark plugs but now that you mentioned it it makes sense. I didn't use it on the new ones, finished one side yesterday but I'll put some on the next 8 today thanks for the tip.
I'll buy some dielectric grease as well and add it in the coil tubes, easier than remove all the plugs anyway. Many thanks.

· Registered
4,016 Posts
Some spark plugs have a trivalent plating. The coating acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize. Maintenance schedule for your 2006 Hemi calls for spark plugs to be replaced every 30K miles. So the risk of of them seizing is small. I still use a little bit because the Hemi heads are aluminum and it takes me awhile to accumulate 30K miles ... so the plugs don't get changed that often.
Make sure you torque the spark plugs at 13 (± 2) ft. lbs. The 2006 Hemi plugs, and the threads in the head, are a torque critical tapered design. Do not exceed 15 ft. lbs.

If you're using NGK (LZTR4A-11) the gap is 0.044" to 0.045"

· Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
2,372 Posts
Just throwing darts here. But have you ever replaced or checked the PCV valve? I’m willing to bet that you have a combo deal at work, not just one thing.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just throwing darts here. But have you ever replaced or checked the PCV valve? I’m willing to bet that you have a combo deal at work, not just one thing.
No, I have the car for a couple of months only and never touched anything. Considering what I see I don't think much has been done. PCV is a cheap and straightforward replacement so why not? Thanks. I just don't want to keep placing different orders, want to do it all at once.

· Premium Member
3,131 Posts
dtoro:
I believe the oem plugs for the '06 Hemi were Champion Coppers. These plugs are NGK, which is a good brand also. They don't look very worn at all. Whoever went crazy with that grease or whatever it is on the plugs, should not be allowed to have anymore, lol. How are you calculating the mpg? 5 is crazy low.

Don

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dtoro:
I believe the oem plugs for the '06 Hemi were Champion Coppers. These plugs are NGK, which is a good brand also. They don't look very worn at all. Whoever went crazy with that grease or whatever it is on the plugs, should not be allowed to have anymore, lol. How are you calculating the mpg? 5 is crazy low.

Don
I'm doing the old Mileage ÷ fuel in the tank.

Just ordered a couple of O2 sensors

· Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Ok on the 02 sensors. A stock 5.7L at idle, will use around half a gallon of fuel an hour. I just can't see 5 mpg, unless you are running a circle track in 2nd gear, at full throttle for hours on end. There are no signs of a leak, and you smell no odor of fuel in/around the car?

Don

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok on the 02 sensors. A stock 5.7L at idle, will use around half a gallon of fuel an hour. I just can't see 5 mpg, unless you are running a circle track in 2nd gear, at full throttle for hours on end. There are no signs of a leak, and you smell no odor of fuel in/around the car?

Don
Sorry, typo. That's 15 mpg or less. 🙄

· Registered
4,016 Posts
Depending on the weather, how the car is driven, etc... 15 MPG is not great but not unusual for a 5.7L Hemi. Cold weather and city driving will lower average MPG. Since the car is new to you and you don't know it's maintenance history it's worth going through the scheduled maintenance items. In addition to the PCV valve, also check the engine air intake filter. Engine oil should be 5W20.
A transmission fluid & filter change is a good idea too if the car has not had the transmission serviced. I don't know the mileage of the car but it is a 2006 model year.
I don't know what fuel brand was used in the car over the years but switch to a Top Tier fuel if you're not using one now (use 89 octane). The detergent gasoline will help clean the fuel injectors and valve, piston carbon deposits. You can put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in a full tank of gas to start the cleaning process.
TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands

Check the air pressure in the tires. With cold weather the air pressure can drop in the tires and then you're not driving on fully inflated tires. Depending on the type of driving you do this can affect MPG.

Reactions: Rhill1124
1 - 12 of 12 Posts