Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, had my charger for a month now, got tint, 20"s and dual magnaflows. don't know much about cars but someone suggested replacing the stock air filter. in everyone's opinion should i do this and which kind should i get? also are the any other mods that you can suggest to go with what i have going on already?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
In the SXT there is a large plastic bladder that restricts air flow under the air box. You've got to get under the car to remove it. I'm not exactly sure what the real name of it is, but we on the forums call it the "air silencer". With that removed you'll be able to get more air up into the filter.

I've got a drop in K&N and I removed the air silencer and ran an air tube from the bottom of the air box to the bottom air dam in the front bumper. I forces a bit more air up directly to the filter.

Works for me and cost the price of the filter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so, if you are contemplating something like a k & n air filter, you will need to remove this "air silencer"?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks, so to be clear on this you can remove the silencer but you don't have to in order to just replace your stock air filter? sounds kinda like replacing the air filter is good but the filter and silencer would be better?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
ok, thanks, so to be clear on this you can remove the silencer but you don't have to in order to just replace your stock air filter? sounds kinda like replacing the air filter is good but the filter and silencer would be better?
Yes and Yes .. :) Although there is nothing to prove that removing the "air silencer" adds anything of value. It just makes sense in theory. Unless I'm missing some dyno sheet somewhere I've never seen anyone lay down any hard proof that it adds performance.

Have fun!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where is a good place to get an air filter, just any parts store, online?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Depending on your price range, you can get a cold air intake (CAI) which eliminates the air silencer and forces more air into the engine, and doesn't need to be replaced every 3000 miles or whatever is recommended these days, that's what I did, there is more proof that it does something but is still debatable on here (most things in life are debatable on chargerforums, lol)

There is also many choices for dual exhausts here (depending on your price range) and shorty headers from JBA, and chips and flashes, always more to add. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
oh, so just an air filter like a k&n , think its about $40 at auto zone, will have to be replaced every 3000 miles?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
oh, so just an air filter like a k&n , think its about $40 at auto zone, will have to be replaced every 3000 miles?
Not the K&N I believe but stock ones are supposed to. The K&N filter won't do too much for you really.

·
Registered
860 Posts

what u r talking about is a K&N filter that just replaces your stock filter. that would be every 3000 miles or so. If you get a drop in K&N air hammer or cold air intake it would give u a bit more power and sound great. i have K&n cold air intake and love it. hope this helps

·
Registered
21 Posts
ok, had my charger for a month now, got tint, 20"s and dual magnaflows. don't know much about cars but someone suggested replacing the stock air filter. in everyone's opinion should i do this and which kind should i get? also are the any other mods that you can suggest to go with what i have going on already?
I just replaced my K&N drop in filter with a Mopar CAI . I found the K&N was fine , but I wanted to improve more .
The Mopar CAI sells for around $349 at the dealerships , and I have seen the K&N filters sell for around $40 at the stores . You can buy my K&N drop in for half that if you are interested in upgrading from stock .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, not sure yet what i want to do, let me tell you all what the main problem is. Replaced 17" with 20" wheels and got dual magnaflows. Car seems to act sluggish now, gotta press on the gas more to get it to go. So a CAI would help, anything else that might help?

·
Registered
281 Posts
it takes more power to move a car with 20 inch tires then a car with 17's.

That is your sluggish problem.........a cold air intake and jet chip will get you moving better.

Ed

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh wow, knew it was one of the two, thats all i did to the car was wheels and exhaust, only a month old and knew it accelerated better when i first got it. been checkin into the cai but im unsure about what the jetchip is, is that where your computer gets reprogrammed for changin the tire size, etc? thanks alot Ed

·
Registered
281 Posts
You cant program the Jet Chip......it is plug and play.......your speedometer is probably not off by much, but you can have your computer programmed at the dealer ship for the tire size change.

Install the CAI and the Jet Chip and you will feel a difference.

Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts