Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
You will have a warning indication forever on the dash I think.
They can be removed from your old rims and put right into the new rims. It is not difficult. You can also buy them new for about $50 a piece. I check my pressure regularly, but one night I got into the car, put it in gear, and saw the warning light come on. I checked the tires, and sure enough the right front was very very low. I filled it with air and it never went low again, and came to the conclussion that I had upset someone and they had let the air out. So, I recomend you use them. What if you are on the freeway and pick up a nail which causes a slow flat? This TPMS could save you from other much more costly damage.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I agree with TBY, but as far as a slow leak, I think you would notice a shimmy in the wheel before it got so slow as to the point where it would cause serious damage. When I put the aftermarket wheels on, I was told that the wheel sensors would be about 150 bucks... so naturally I was like FORGET THAT! All that happens is a small exclamation point lights up on the dash and flashes (seriously, its hardly noticeable and doesnt bother me at all). It provides an audible tone each time it initially comes on, but thats it. One tone that is, again, barely audible and then it just flashes from there on out and it doesnt bother me in the least. I wouldnt take them off your old wheels if you plant to use them in the future like I am (will be running stock wheels in the winter!) because then it becomes just that much more of a hassle to have to keep re-installing them. Your choice though.

-Pat

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
sorry meant to say "before it got so LOW as to the point where it would cause serious damage"

BTW, with my stock wheels, I apparently developed a slow leak and before the light even came on to warn me of low tire, I noticed the wheel pulling one way and the car generally not steering properly (I was freaked out because I didn't even know what the heck the exclamation point meant! It gave no indication that it was tire pressure and it had me thinking it was like some type of check engine light!)

-Pat

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
It is accually a law that if your car came with TPS you MUST leave it on your stock rims. (Yes, it truely is law, look it up) You do not have to have it on aftermarket rims however. :)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Besides the little presure symbol lighting up, My car sends a warning to the driver info screen every 5 minutes... very annoying. Keep the sensors and maybe they save you some day from a nail leak.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Do the TPMS sensors come on the SXT's? Because in the manual it only says "if equipped" . Would it be on my price list?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
That friggin light is so annoying, whenever it comes on i immediately put air in the corresponding tire...i dont know how anyone could drive around with that light on...TPMS is a great feature...luckily i found a set of SRT wheels that already had them installed...I recommend if your car came with them and you change wheels out to the after market...reinstall the TPMS and try to keep the car the way it was out of the factory...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Look at your valve stems. If they are metal you got them. If they are plastic you dont.
I didn't know that, thanks! That should be part of the "did you know that" sticky thread. It's an easy way to tell.

Also, and I think this has been put out there a number of times, that at least back in the '06 model year, SRT's showed which tire was low. Mine on my R/T, will only show that at least one is low pressure (though honestly, I've never actually tested that - I've always had enough air in them).

I added the sensors to my winter rims too - sure, extra cost, but I didn't want to have to stare at an idiot light all winter, and if the sensor picks up low pressure before I otherwise do, it might save an along-side-the-road fix it session - always better to do things under more controlled circumstances.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
It is accually a law that if your car came with TPS you MUST leave it on your stock rims. (Yes, it truely is law, look it up) You do not have to have it on aftermarket rims however. :)
Could you please provide a reference to that law?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Could you please provide a reference to that law?
Tire & Tread Act.

The June 2002 Final Rule Requiring TPMSs

1. The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking

NHTSA initiated the TPMS rulemaking with the publication of a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) on July 26, 2001 (see 66 FR 38982, Docket No. NHTSA-2000-8572-30). That NPRM proposed to require passenger cars, light trucks, multipurpose passenger vehicles, and buses with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less, except those with dual wheels on an axle, to be equipped with a TPMS.

System Disablement

The June 2002 final rule did not permit disablement of the TPMS, as it is the agency’s normal practice not to allow safety systems to be disabled. Paragraphs S4.2.1 and S4.2.2 stated that the TPMS telltale must continue to illuminate as long as any of the vehicle’s tires is experiencing under-inflation at the level specified under each option when the ignition locking system is in the "On" ("Run") position. The preamble to the TPMS final rule specifically stated that NHTSA decided to prohibit any control that automatically disables the TPMS under any condition, dismissing arguments for even temporary disablement of the system.

From the Tire Industry Association

In case you haven’t read this publication for the past two issues, the federal government has passed legislation that mandates TPMS on every vehicle under 10,000 lbs GVWR starting September 2007. It’s not an option for consumers who purchase new vehicles after that date, nor is it an option for tire dealers and service providers who install or repair passenger and light truck tires. TPMS is the law and if the laws are not followed, the penalties could be severe. Those points alone should be enough to justify the shift in approach, yet there will still be some that refuse to recognize the opportunity and responsibility that TPMS creates.

With that said there really isn't anything to say the owner can remove them. If you were to get into some type of tire related accident and the system is disabled by you, I am sure some type of law will come down on you should someone get hurt. It probably would be the same if you were to diable seat belts or airbags. Its totally up to you. I bought the extra sensors for my snows so I wouldn't have to look at the light. If a scan tool could disable the light, I would be all over that for the snows. I like TPMS, but it sux when you have to change wheels and spend extra money.

·
Registered
230 Posts
ok my 07 se did not come with it but i purchased r/t rims and tires that has them. my q is this, can it be turned on or do i have to buy receivers? i know some things are just options to be activated like adding the bluetooth mirror. the wires are already there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.