Charger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks...here's my dilemma.

This last weekend, i color-matched and tinted my tails using VHT Nightshades.

Stock tails, i sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper and masked off areas not being tinted.

Sprayed 2 light coats of VHT, let dry for an hour, sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper and applied 1 medium coat of VHT and got the desired darkness.

Sprayed the color-matching paint with about 3 coats (each with an hour interval) and let dry overnight.

Gave the tails a quick prep sand with 1000 grit sandpaper. Applied 2 light coats of Clear, Let dry for an hour, sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper and continued to apply 1 medium coat. Let that dry for 1 hour, sanded and gave 1 heavy coat of clear.

Let that dry for 3 hours. Washed with the same soap i use to wash the vehicle. Dried tails off and proceeded to wax/polish by hand (as i have no buffer). Afterwards, i still have not achieved the finish i have been looking for. There is a slight texture on the tails, but still feels smooth to the touch (No glossy shine).

Could it be that i used the wrong type of Clearcoat or should i find someone with an orbital buffer to try and bring the shine out?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

:rocker:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I think its the clear your using. being its from aresol form most likely.

rattle cans do not give you a smooth spray laydown as you would expect.
Mine turn out fine with no 1000grit sandpaper involved.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think its the clear your using. being its from aresol form most likely.

rattle cans do not give you a smooth spray laydown as you would expect.
Mine turn out fine with no 1000grit sandpaper involved.

What would you recommend? All i've seen is Clearcoat in the Aerosol can

1 - 3 of 3 Posts