Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really dont know if theres much pull for these, as vendors that check the forums will only produce if there is a need/market for them.

however there are options:

-freshmade cam, from scratch aka called blanks

-regrinds, materials added then regrinded and polished down.

thing is many people have stated "until the reprogram comes out"...and granted thats a great thing to have under the arsenal tent, cam shafts are mechanical, and even without a reprogram, as long as the camshaft isnt EXTREME such as changing the lift or duration to a high amount, by mechanics should give a fair gain.

camshafts also arent that expensive to get most times.... 2-300$ for most sport compact i4's and v6's

so for anyone who has any ideas, specs, cautions, inside knowledge on the subject please, feel free to add it.

are there any known shortcomings with the stock cam?

are the stock cams billet forged?

i know OHC's dont use pushrods as OHV's would, but use "followers" for the connection to the rockers to cam...are they rollers (hopefully) as opposed to tappet?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Typically, camshaft(s) are one of the primary methods for getting more out of an engine.. The question is always "more of what?" because what is added to one RPM range will likely be subtracted from another. For heavier cars and some trucks, we used to use an "RV" cam for better low and mid range power. Naturally, you won't be doing any real racing with that, but I would think that dropping the powerband down a bit on a 3.5 would be a good thing.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would love to see a camshaft for the V6. I dont know what type of cam we have but I believe HHP is looking in to this for the V6. The B&G flash states it will work with mild cam, so if someone does come out with one a programer might not be neccesary.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typically, camshaft(s) are one of the primary methods for getting more out of an engine.. The question is always "more of what?" because what is added to one RPM range will likely be subtracted from another. For heavier cars and some trucks, we used to use an "RV" cam for better low and mid range power. Naturally, you won't be doing any real racing with that, but I would think that dropping the powerband down a bit on a 3.5 would be a good thing.
definately true... basically a low end, mid range, or top end setup are the choices. i'm guessing no one really will get to top end stuff, so like you said a low to mid range one would be advantageous.

I would love to see a camshaft for the V6. I dont know what type of cam we have but I believe HHP is looking in to this for the V6. The B&G flash states it will work with mild cam, so if someone does come out with one a programer might not be neccesary.
speaking of which, does B&G openly state what parts their flash changes? reason i ask, a flash is basically a reprogammer. not a hand held that we can pass around like the superchips one to the V8, but its still a program to go into the computer and change values, hence reflashing. on the lxforum, theres a group called diablo i think, stating they are close to a programmer, or hacking the comp.... but for if B&G is reflashing comps, hasnt the system already been hacked/figured out?

and you're right on the mild cam.... i've actually never seen where a mild cam didnt work on stock computers. since OBD II's have been put into cars around late 95, and most all 96's, i;ve never seen a car that didnt respond to a mild cam.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
it says chevy, ford and late model hemi. still does us no good

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it says chevy, ford and late model hemi. still does us no good
while true, if theres an interest, or one willing to pay, a custom cam can prob be made.

remember, in automotive money talks, bench racing, usually walks:grin:

DodgerLA, i've heard of them before. i think they may have an exhaust line out as well...

never dealt with em, but willing to give a call sometime this week...

cranecams.com and compcams.com are two places i know of offhand.... compcams actually have some dodge stuff in stock...although it sucks it not our stuff... just some hemi parts and neon stuff. anything is worth a try though.

some parts i may just go ahead and try to get self made, such as a crank pulley.

sucks for a platform this big to be sooo lacking, but it seems like a exhaust post or intake post, you get 2-5+ pages.

heres another thought, some posts mentioned a supercharger for the prowler or crossfire.... same engine apparently? true? false?

if so, did they have any boltons that anyone knows of?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Right above where it says GM/CHEVY they have a link to a custom cam worksheet. Try there....

·
Registered
839 Posts
sucks for a platform this big to be sooo lacking, but it seems like a exhaust post or intake post, you get 2-5+ pages.

Totally agree with you on that one. Sucks big time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts