Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like the car is performing worse than it once did, and mileage has dropped as well. I'm looking for tips on things I should do to troubleshoot.

This morning I was attempting to accelerate past a Lexus GS350 (it was not initially a race) and found to my dismay that the Lexus began pulling way. To further the shame, I later discovered the driver to be an older asian woman.:cry:

Specs on the GS350 say that it is comparable to but should slightly underperform a stock Daytona. My performance mods include Mopar CAI and Bassani exhaust, so I should be able to best the GS350, right? I've got two car seats in the back, but that shouldn't make a difference. It was almost 90 already, and A/C was, but conditions were the same for the other driver.

Additionally, my mileage has also plummeted to a lousy 13mpg mixed. Now, I knew what I was getting into when I bought a Hemi. My complaint lies with all the other forum users who proclaim that CAI and exhaust mods imrpove their mileage.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do I have a loose connection somewhere? Should I reset the ECU? Which fuse do I pull to do this?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I feel like the car is performing worse than it once did, and mileage has dropped as well. I'm looking for tips on things I should do to troubleshoot.

This morning I was attempting to accelerate past a Lexus GS350 (it was not initially a race) and found to my dismay that the Lexus began pulling way. To further the shame, I later discovered the driver to be an older asian woman.:cry:

Specs on the GS350 say that it is comparable to but should slightly underperform a stock Daytona. My performance mods include Mopar CAI and Bassani exhaust, so I should be able to best the GS350, right? I've got two car seats in the back, but that shouldn't make a difference. It was almost 90 already, and A/C was, but conditions were the same for the other driver.

Additionally, my mileage has also plummeted to a lousy 13mpg mixed. Now, I knew what I was getting into when I bought a Hemi. My complaint lies with all the other forum users who proclaim that CAI and exhaust mods imrpove their mileage.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do I have a loose connection somewhere? Should I reset the ECU? Which fuse do I pull to do this?
How many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well with 22"s on your vehicle, gas mileage will change and also taking off with big tires changes that also.
I dont think he/she has 22's

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Might be time to clean the filter on CAI. My old cougar always started performing like a dog when the K&N I had on it got dirty.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It mostly a matter of how you drive it.

Mixed driving ( 13 mile to work stop and go and home ) I am seeing about 18mpg ish on my 20's with 265's and 295's.

Highway driving I see 24-26mpg

I have a CAI, Gibson headers, HighFlow Cats, Zoomers Cat Back and SuperChips 91 Tune, AK, RTM, RSP.

As a suggestion, Try running some BG44k in your next tank of gas, also you might want to get some TB cleaner and clean the TB and the intake, you will be surprised at the crud that accumlates in our cars.

I took the TB off, that is after a little bit of cleaning. This is a 50k miles. I run fuel cleaner every 5-7k miles and I typically run Shell / Exxon / BP gas.

I would also suggest that you check your plugs, its a 30k service part.

-R

·
Registered
5 Posts

I feel your pain R/T....My car has about 31,000 miles on it and I too feel some days it's lacking performance. I had the 30,000 mile tune-up and plug change done recently and was expecting a big improvement, but on hot days there is a definite performance lag. I have the Mopar CAI & Flowmaster cat-back, and like you thought I would notice an increase in power. Hopefully someone has some ideas because I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I feel your pain R/T....My car has about 31,000 miles on it and I too feel some days it's lacking performance. I had the 30,000 mile tune-up and plug change done recently and was expecting a big improvement, but on hot days there is a definite performance lag. I have the Mopar CAI & Flowmaster cat-back, and like you thought I would notice an increase in power. Hopefully someone has some ideas because I'm in the same boat.
At 31k have you replaced your plugs? Rumor has it any charger below the SRT8 has copper plugs and they are recommended to be removed at 30k.

The problem could also be gasoline. Down here they change the gas in the summer and it makes a lot of the cars run like total crap. My Harley get 50 MPH in the winter but 40 MPH in the summer... And I always use Amaco gas in it.

It could be gunked up injectors too.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
performance wise...i've found sometimes i have to do the foot stomp a couple times on the pedal to wake it up a bit... i only have 1700 miles on mine. as far as mileage goes, there are so many factors involved from the a/c on to the weather conditions to if you have your windows up or down... so i've heard anyway. hope your car feels better soon :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, thanks for the great info.
I'm still running to the stock rims, but I've upgraded to beefy tires (Goodrich KW2) with an extra inch of wheel diameter. The ECU has been reprogrammed to compensate for this change.

I'm at 19K miles, so hopefully the plugs are ok. However, those are some good tips regarding the TB and CAI cleaning, so I'll get in there later this week and clean those up a bit.

Anybody remember which fuse to pull to reset the ECU? If I do that, will it forget the wheel size reprogramming?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Fuses 11, 14 and 16. Not sure what you mean by reprogramming the ECU. Are you talking about the PCM?

Btw, wheel size is measured from the outside diameter of the rim, not the overall tire size. So what was re-programmed in?

Also, what octane rating of gas are you using? If you can put in 91/93, you will notice a nice improvement in MPG.

I noramlly run 89 and get like 14, 15 up to 18 at times. I ran 93 and got like 22, 23 and up to 24 MPH.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are you sure that was a gs350? Isnt that a v6?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crow,

The ECU = engine control unit. The computer that adapts the engine to how you drive. If you pull the right fuse, the computer "forgets" everything it has learned about how you drive, and goes back to being like stock.

Yes, "wheel size" does refer to rim diameter when taken in that context. What I am referrring to, though, is that I got larger tires. I went from 255/45 to 255/55. In that sense, my overall wheel diameter got larger. The odometer value is calculated from the number of revolutions of the wheel. A larger diameter wheel will go a father distance than a smaller diameter wheel for the same number of revolutions. Therefore, if the odometer calculator is not corrected for the new wheel size, the distance it measures will be lower than the actual distance travelled. I had the dealer correct this calculation for me after ~4 months of driving with the new tires.

I run 89. I suppose I could run 91, but in the end the improved mileage will probably be counter-balanced by the increased cost of the gas, little difference in the out-of pocket cost. Of course, there are performance benefits to be gained.:)

Formare,
Pretty sure it was a gs350 with the V6 (ugh). This engine is rated at 302 hp on a 3800 lb car. 0-60 value is 5.8, which is only 0.2 seconds behind a stock R/T.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What octane gas do you guys use... I noticed hesitation in the summer when using 87 now I use only 89 or 91 and the hesitation is gone.. you may not notice the difference until you use 2 or 3 tankfuls to give the computer a chance to adjust.. worked for me...

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
What octane gas do you guys use... I noticed hesitation in the summer when using 87 now I use only 89 or 91 and the hesitation is gone.. you may not notice the difference until you use 2 or 3 tankfuls to give the computer a chance to adjust.. worked for me...
I'd been running the recommended 89 and, on a lark, decided to fill up with 93 a few days ago. The butt dyno seems to think there was a benefit. Seems peppier now.

Best,

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cleaned the filter. Damn, it was dirty in there. All of that desert dust.
I'm not seeing much change in mileage, but maybe I need to give the ECU time to adapt.

Or could just reset it by pulling fuse #...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I cleaned the filter. Damn, it was dirty in there. All of that desert dust.
I'm not seeing much change in mileage, but maybe I need to give the ECU time to adapt.

Or could just reset it by pulling fuse #...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See post #11
Yeah, sorry about that. Missed it the first time.

Ok, here's what I've done:

Cleaned the air filter, which was filthy. Damned AZ desert dust.
Inflated my tires to 40 psi (Goodrich KDW's, 255/55 R18, max press. 50 psi).
Pulled fuse 11 for 30 minutes.

This morning, while commuting, I got over 17mpg in mixed rush hour traffic. Yay! Although I did make a conscious effort to avoid aggressive lead-footedness.

I'll probably throw in some fuel injector cleaners once my car arrives in NC. See what that does.

·
Registered
219 Posts
:lol: :lol: maybe the asian old lady has a young mods fan husband
did you notice any blue air tank on the back seat?:lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts