Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the super 44 installed today on my charger. I was hoping for it to sound a little bit more aggressive. I left the resonators on, because I don't want lots of drone or for it to be annoyingly loud. Will the muffler get louder with time or anything? I feel like I wasted $$

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Not really gonna get any louder. Mufflers usually burn in and get a bit deeper, but with those resonators back there...ya aint gonna hear too much

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
na, no sound clips. 1. im at school and have an exam to go to in 2 hours and 2. it'd be embarassing. with the 3.5L how loud is it with the reso cut off? Is it going to be ridiculous? Are there any clips? Thanks

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll try to get a clip later in the week. Yeah I am thinking of doing that. Does anyone thing if I put a resonated exhaust tip on instead of the resonator it will be louder, but not as loud? Also, by taking the resonator off, will it hurt performance?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured there would still be drone, but how bad is it on a v6? Is it not that noticable or will I have to take advil everytime I go for a drive? Do you think the resonated tips would help?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Not really gonna get any louder. Mufflers usually burn in and get a bit deeper, but with those resonators back there...ya aint gonna hear too much
This is true. You have to hack off those reso's and get a set of baffled tips. I have the 40's with baffled tips, car sounds mad when you want it to. Drone has been "dulled" over time as the carbon builds up in the system.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
With about anything other than the stock resonators, there will be drone.

There's a reason the stock reso's weigh 20 something pounds.
you can get aftermarket resonators up to 31 inches or more long..... that will surely eliminate drone.

basically if you use the right resonators and muffler setup, you can more than likely be a bit lighter than stock, get a straight through performance, no louvered cores, and pretty much make a silent exhaust.

basically my goal in due time. just need to actually get up under tha car and measure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the same exact dilemna when I put a flowmaster 40 on my 3.5 a few months ago. I originally replaced the suitcase muffler with the 40, but kept on the stock resonator because I was afraid of the drone and it being too loud. The instant I started the car I knew that I was going to need to take off the stock resonators because it was barely different than stock. Those stock resonators dampen sound more than the main suitcase muffler!

Well, I finally had the balls to removed the stock rear resonator with the flowmaster 40. I did put a resonated exhaust tip on, but it now sounds the way a muscle car should. It isn't crazy loud or raspy but when you step on it it sounds mean! The drone is not bad at all and barely exists. Because our 3.5 doesn't have MDS the drone is not really an issue.

Because you put a performance muffler on your charger, I assume that you want your car to sound aggressive like it should. If you keep those stock resonators on you will never hear your 44. Chop those things off of there and let your 44 sound like it was built to sound. I promise it isn't annoying or too loud. I think it sounds amazing. If it is too loud for you you could always add a glasspack or some straight through muffler to quiet your 44 down, but I don't think you will want to once you hear it! Good luck!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know... The soundclip is pathetic. Yeah do you have a clip of how your 3.5 sounds and possibly one on the inside while driving? I do want some sound, but do not want my ears to burst, lol. I am thinking of having the reso taken off in a week or so. I just need to find a place around here that I can get a resonated exhaust tip.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Definatly remove that resonator. You will be alot happier and it will sound good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.