Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a problem with that in their charger? i have a system and my lights dim even though i upgraded the ground wire, added kinetik battery hc600 and replaced the factory battery with the hc1800 and it still dims...

·
Registered
907 Posts
maybe a few ideas.

Hopefully your ground wire is 0 gauge and is less than 18" long. shorter the better. You can also ground your engine to your chassis. this is called the Big 3. However it would also include changing the positive wire from the alt to the battery, BUT we really don't need to do it cause the wire in our chargers is 1 Gauge. also make sure all conections are solid and all the wires used are 0 gauge if appliciable. also make sure the ground location is good and the paint is removed.

This is a start.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe a few ideas.

Hopefully your ground wire is 0 gauge and is less than 18" long. shorter the better. You can also ground your engine to your chassis. this is called the Big 3. However it would also include changing the positive wire from the alt to the battery, BUT we really don't need to do it cause the wire in our chargers is 1 Gauge. also make sure all conections are solid and all the wires used are 0 gauge if appliciable. also make sure the ground location is good and the paint is removed.

This is a start.
the ground wire is 0 gauge and is less than 18" and all grounds are solid and everything, but ill give the ground wire from engine to the chassis a try, thank you sir

·
Registered
839 Posts
Where would you find the ground from motor to chassi?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't have any extra electrical stuff and I notice that my lights dim quite a bit too. I notice it in traffic when I'm behind someone. I mentioned it to the dealer when I first got the car. They fixed a few things and it stopped for awhile, but it's back now.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've complained to the dealer every single time I've brought the car in for servicing, the answer is always the same. "The electrical load is so great that the battery/charging system is maxxed out". Yeah, thanx fer that...:(

On another note, I've been told that installing something on the power feed to the headlamps will "clean" the voltage. From what I've gathered, HID's are really sensitive to dirty voltage and HID set-ups will flash badly unless the power source is filtered. Supposedly, one needs to get a filtering doohickey from one of the high-quality HID light makers. I tried repeatedly, but this particular manufacturer originally believed that I had bought an inferior HID set-up from another maker, and was now trying to purchase his "filter" (for lack of the proper technical name) to fix my problem. There was alot of emailing and back & forth, by the time it was over I was fed-up and put this issue on the back-burner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any extra electrical stuff and I notice that my lights dim quite a bit too. I notice it in traffic when I'm behind someone. I mentioned it to the dealer when I first got the car. They fixed a few things and it stopped for awhile, but it's back now.
would it just dim out of no where or how would it dim??

i just put in my HIDs and they don't dim but like interior lights, dash dims...

·
Registered
620 Posts
would it just dim out of no where or how would it dim??

i just put in my HIDs and they don't dim but like interior lights, dash dims...
I guess the easiest way to explain it is that when I see the reflection of my headlights on the car in front of me, they are a certain intensity. Then, all of a sudden, the intensity would get weaker for whatever reason. I haven't touched anything in the car when that happens. They will then go back to where they were originally and then repeat the cycle. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but it's been doing that since I got it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sometimes when i just let my car idle I notice the will dim and the car feels like the rpms dropped off then it goes back to normal and it did it even before I added my amp.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
maybe a few ideas.

This is a start.
What he said.

While working with Sublime268; I noticed the factory battery ground in the trunk is SUPER SMALL too. You didnt mention you upgraded it; so thats definatly another place to start.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea that wire has been upgraded already

·
Registered
689 Posts
sLOWDOHC, where do you typically run your ground from the subwoofer amp in the Charger? I think mine is run to one of the bolts behind the seats that I think is attached to the frame though I cannot remember. It has been a while since installation.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Ive had bad luck using seatbolts in other cars, so I dont use them anymore.

I make a new spot in the trunk area; by the battery. Like mentioned earlier; always always scrape the paint to bare metal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sLOWDOHC, where do you typically run your ground from the subwoofer amp in the Charger? I think mine is run to one of the bolts behind the seats that I think is attached to the frame though I cannot remember. It has been a while since installation.
yea i had that done but u need to sand that area down to bare metal first

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dimming

anyone have a problem with that in their charger? i have a system and my lights dim even though i upgraded the ground wire, added kinetik battery hc600 and replaced the factory battery with the hc1800 and it still dims...
Not much you can do about that. I know the stock battery, really can't handle much when running a system with a car off. I've had my almost 2 years and my stock battery is almost gone. I have a 950watt rms system.

Do you run your system with the car off?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not much you can do about that. I know the stock battery, really can't handle much when running a system with a car off. I've had my almost 2 years and my stock battery is almost gone. I have a 950watt rms system.

Do you run your system with the car off?

no im talking about lights dimming when driving but no im not turning up the system with car on, also i dont have stock battery anymore and my system is 1100 watts rms :rockon:

·
Registered
12 Posts

no im talking about lights dimming when driving but no im not turning up the system with car on, also i dont have stock battery anymore and my system is 1100 watts rms :rockon:
i'm running 2 jlw3v3's on a kicker 750.1 and my trunk rattles like crazy. i've most of my rattle is coming from the rear deck and that flap inside the trunk. my point is, i really don't understand these systems i hear about putting out more power than mine. mine puts out too much for a charger as it is. more powerful systems are much more fun in a truck/suv!

anyway. as for the dimming. i've had the same problems. i notice it every now and then when stopped behind another car. this is even with the stereo turned off. but i do get dimming when playing my stereo. changing from the 1.5 farad cap to the kinetik hc600 did seem to help a little, but i'm still getting some dimming. although i turned my sub off and blasted my stereo with them off and my lights still dim... so the problem is not coming from the subs anymore. time to hook up a secondary power source for my components i guess?

as far as the car battery, the ratings on the stock charger battery aren't that much different than the optima yellow top...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I guess the easiest way to explain it is that when I see the reflection of my headlights on the car in front of me, they are a certain intensity. Then, all of a sudden, the intensity would get weaker for whatever reason. I haven't touched anything in the car when that happens. They will then go back to where they were originally and then repeat the cycle. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but it's been doing that since I got it.
I notice the same....it seems whenever I turn the headlights on, they are bright for a split second, then go dimmer. I wonder if its not the voltage regulator turning off and on??? Maybe u can connect a good voltmeter to the system someplace, and watch to see if a voltage drop corresponds to the headlight change in brightness.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i'm running 2 jlw3v3's on a kicker 750.1 and my trunk rattles like crazy. i've most of my rattle is coming from the rear deck and that flap inside the trunk. my point is, i really don't understand these systems i hear about putting out more power than mine. mine puts out too much for a charger as it is. more powerful systems are much more fun in a truck/suv!

anyway. as for the dimming. i've had the same problems. i notice it every now and then when stopped behind another car. this is even with the stereo turned off. but i do get dimming when playing my stereo. changing from the 1.5 farad cap to the kinetik hc600 did seem to help a little, but i'm still getting some dimming. although i turned my sub off and blasted my stereo with them off and my lights still dim... so the problem is not coming from the subs anymore. time to hook up a secondary power source for my components i guess?

as far as the car battery, the ratings on the stock charger battery aren't that much different than the optima yellow top...

oh ive never tried seeing if it dims if i turn off the sub but i doubt it cuz ive never notice it before

as for the more powerful system part, difference is ur running 2 subs and im running 1 sub, if tune properly, it can but fun in a car too, not just suvs/trucks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts