Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to change the diff fluid on my 2021 RT with a little over 11,000 miles on it. I just wanted to post some pictures of what the fluid looked like that came out of it. Hopefully they show up well. Keep in mind this is with a few burnouts here and there and some spirited driving. Also it's the first time being changed which i changed it well before maintenance per the Manual which is 50,000 miles I believe... (I had a gift card that needed to be used lol) . Anyway you can see all the metal flakes in it which I'm sure is normal especially for the "breaking in" of all the parts involved ... Just wanted to share this with everyone.
Eyebrow Eye Liquid Jaw Fluid

Drinkware Kapeng barako Liquid Vinegar Fluid

Food Kona coffee Kapeng barako Drinkware Coffee

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
1,203 Posts
I haven’t changed it on my Charger yet, but I remember when I changed my Silverado’s at about 30k, it had all kinds of metal shavings. I’ve been told that it’s very normal but also very good to get the original shaving (from break in) out.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Differential fluid is the one thing I neglect on cars which fortunately has not resulted in a breakdown for me. The off road vehicles that get submerged up to the axles and can contaminate the differential get the scheduled maintenance. Ditto for the transfer case.

The thread serves is a good reminder not to neglect the differential.

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Thought for the day:
JESUSSAVES, but not your differential, unless you maintain it properly!

Don 😂 😂

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha Ha yes He does Save but a neglected differential is on you for sure 🤣. Changing it was simple enough. I didn't even have to put the car on ramps to do so.. it was a tight fit though. Took maybe 20-30 minutes. Very easy job and somewhat inexpensive for some preventative maintenance. I thought it would have looked better then it did so I'm glad I changed it sooner rather than later. Also parts stores don't carry 75w85 at least not the one I went too. They do carry 75w90 though so keep that in mind if you want to change yours. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,976 Posts
I've changed the diff fluid out on my 11 Pursuit twice now.

First when I got it, and about 60K miles later. Honestly the fluid looked perfectly fine but it was already draining.

On the LH Body cars (intrepid,concorde, eagle) the Trans has a built in separate diff sump. So many people forgot to change it out all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up using the 75W90 royal purple... Because of convenience and I'm sure the Mopar 75w85 is 40 dollars a quart compared to 20 for the royal and like I mentioned before I had a gift card I needed to use lol. So far so good and from what I read the difference is negligent. I could be wrong maybe someone with a little more knowledge on this subject can tell me if I need to drain it and put the 75w85 in it lol 🤣.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,976 Posts
I ended up using the 75W90 royal purple... Because of convenience and I'm sure the Mopar 75w85 is 40 dollars a quart compared to 20 for the royal and like I mentioned before I had a gift card I needed to use lol. So far so good and from what I read the difference is negligent. I could be wrong maybe someone with a little more knowledge on this subject can tell me if I need to drain it and put the 75w85 in it lol 🤣.
I doubt it would be an issue. However my car called for a 140 wieght wanna say.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I use Royal Purple in the Silverado, seems like will last forever with the Eaton locker (no clutches to foul the oil) but I try to change it every 50K.

With the SRT, I used Mobil 1 with about 2/3 bottle of the TransX limited slip additive and was nice and quiet.

On the 85W-140, I seem to remember the open diff cars used to recommend that up until 5 or 6 years ago and now I believe they recommend 75W-85 in everything, fuel economy concerns I would guess.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 TorRed Charger Scatpack Daytona
473 Posts
When I went in for some under warranty work on my water pump (had flakes of coolant in certain areas indicating a leak) the tech checked by diff fluid and asked if I wanted to change it out. I said sure, since I bought the car used I could use this as start point for tracking my maintenance.

Long story short, I don't think they added a slip additive? Because I could hear some groaning when making low speed tight turns, like backing out of my driveway. I was immediately alarmed because I don't know much about this stuff and took it to a reputable performance oriented shop I have used in the past with good results. They changed the fluid again and used an additive, no more sounds.

Went back to the dealer and bitched at them, they refunded my money.

now I see that the colour wasn't so bad it seems its normally for a relatively young car (was around 55k kilometres) to have gunky lookng fluid. My question is, does a 2019 6.4L require the additive? I seem to get mixed results when search

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have a limited slip differential and from what I read it is mixed opinions as well. Some people say add it and other say if you are using a gear oil with friction modifier in it then don't. Best advice I heard was if you are using gear oil with a friction modifier in it don't add it. If for some reason it starts to chatter or become noiser than you should add some. Also read the label on the bottle of additive to see how much you need because to much additive could have some negative effects as well or so I have read lol... For instance you will probably get no more than 1 1/2 quarts in the diff give or take and adding 4 ounces would be too much modifier. You would probably benefit more from 1-3 ounces of modifier depending on the modifier you use if you did develop a chatter. I used royal purple which has a friction modifier in it so I didn't add any and so far so good. If for whatever reason it does start to chatter or make a noise I will update this post and let you know. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. There are alot more intelligent people than myself in this forum on this topic I'm sure and hopefully they will chime in and help clarify it for you.

·
Registered
2013 Charger RT Road and Track
382 Posts
In my 2013 rt with the getrag diff and the stage 1 clutches. I did my first fluid change and it was black as pitch. I have been using royal purple gear oil with the lsd friction modifier all ready includes and have had now problems. But if your car is not a scat pack it possibly has only a open diff so the friction modifier would be of no use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder if the scat pack owners Manual says anything about adding a friction modifier when talking about the weight and what gear oil to use seeing as they have the LSD. In my owners Manuel for the RT It just says use Mopar snythetic OD gear oil (which I believe has friction modifier in it? Maybe?) or a GL-5 gear oil. Also the 5.7 RT does have the open diff so maybe that's why. So I'm curious if it says anything different in the 6.4 scat owner manual.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,976 Posts
Just to add confusion, the LS additivie is to just make it easier to allow the clutches to slip! There are some who never put it in for a more tighter LSD grip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wonder if the scat pack owners Manual says anything about adding a friction modifier when talking about the weight and what gear oil to use seeing as they have the LSD. In my owners Manuel for the RT It just says use Mopar snythetic OD gear oil (which I believe has friction modifier in it? Maybe?) or a GL-5 gear oil. Also the 5.7 RT does have the open diff so maybe that's why. So I'm curious if it says anything different in the 6.4 scat owner manual.
The Scat Pack (well the "Dodge Charger/Challenger Performance Feature Guide") manual calls for Mopar LSD Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W85. This fluid already includes LS additive, and should not require anything additional. If you're already using an LSD-compatible oil, you'd only add additive if you get binding during very tight parking lot turns.

Reactions: JESUSSAVES

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome so the difference in gear oil is listed in the manual. That helps clear up a lot. The open diff for the RT calls for the Mopar OD synthetic 75w85 GL-5. The scat pack calls for the Mopar LSD synthetic 75w85 GL-5. Basically covering and reassuring everything we already discussed in this thread. Thanks for the replies everyone God bless.

·
Registered
2007 SRT8 with Danko Shaker, Cat back & Coil overs, kicker, 85mm BBK, god speed, sway bars, shiftkit
132 Posts
Did mine and had "normal" brake in metal but a little bigger steel pieces with high silicon normal for original diff oil. 2007 SRT with 80K sounded like good idea to change and test. Used what it called for and didn't add anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts