Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched on here for issues with sunroof rust but mine seems to be different from everyone elses. I noticed that the rubber trim around the sunroof was beginning to stick up in some places so I felt it and it felt like the metal underneath was warped. I took a peek under and it looks like the metal underneath is beginning to rust has warped somewhat. It's only in a couple small areas but I don't want it to lead to further problems down the line. I went to the dealer and he said he would have to talk to the service manager who wasn't there that day but he thinks it won't be covered. Should this be covered? His response was the 5 year 100k mile rust warranty was only for sheet metal. What should I do? I'll upload a couple pics in a second.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first, fourth and last pictures are the main trouble spot on the driver's side of the sunroof:
IMG00059-20090614-1608.jpg
This is where they're beginning to warp:
IMG00060-20090614-1609.jpg
This is the middle where the rubber has a split in it:
IMG00061-20090614-1609.jpg
IMG00062-20090614-1609.jpg
IMG00063-20090614-1609.jpg

Help me out with this please! Should this be covered by warranty? By the way I have 74k miles and it's a 06 Charger.

·
Registered
333 Posts
OUCH! I would think that would be covered. Did your car come with the sunroof or did you add it later? Good luck with that, Ill have to keep an eye on mine.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Should this be covered? His response was the 5 year 100k mile rust warranty was only for sheet metal. What should I do?
This looks like salt corrosion on the clips holding the rubber seal to the sunroof frame. I'm not sure where you live, but I used to see this kind of thing a lot back in Philly when I used to own an auto top and upholstery business back in the early 80's. The seal and clips need to be replaced because its just going to get worse and rust leads to more rust. A leaky sunroof makes for a bad day when it takes out the headliner and maybe more.

The rust-thru warranty only covers sheet metal on the body and I doubt the dealer will cover this if you are outside your main warranty. Hopefully it won't be very expensive to do the replacement. It's just a rubber seal and the labor isn't too intensive.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OUCH! I would think that would be covered. Did your car come with the sunroof or did you add it later? Good luck with that, Ill have to keep an eye on mine.
No, this wasn't an aftermarket the car came with the sunroof.

This looks like salt corrosion on the clips holding the rubber seal to the sunroof frame. I'm not sure where you live, but I used to see this kind of thing a lot back in Philly when I used to own an auto top and upholstery business back in the early 80's. The seal and clips need to be replaced because its just going to get worse and rust leads to more rust. A leaky sunroof makes for a bad day when it takes out the headliner and maybe more.

The rust-thru warranty only covers sheet metal on the body and I doubt the dealer will cover this if you are outside your main warranty. Hopefully it won't be very expensive to do the replacement. It's just a rubber seal and the labor isn't too intensive.
The dealership told me that I would need to replace the entire glass since it all comes as one part. Would it be possible to just replace the seal and clips? He quoted me at around $300 for the glass and right & left guides and $110 for labor.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
The dealership told me that I would need to replace the entire glass since it all comes as one part. Would it be possible to just replace the seal and clips? He quoted me at around $300 for the glass and right & left guides and $110 for labor.
It may be possible if the aftermarket trim folks have gotten into the game. Talk to an aftermarket sunroof dealer/installer and see what they can tell you. They may also be able to find a used piece and save you a bunch.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It may be possible if the aftermarket trim folks have gotten into the game. Talk to an aftermarket sunroof dealer/installer and see what they can tell you. They may also be able to find a used piece and save you a bunch.
I'm calling the dealership tomorrow morn to see if they will cover the sunroof. If not I'll try out some aftermarket dealers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts