Charger Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When adding an aftermarket exhaust system, many people use the term "it's too loud." Or "it drones on the hwy."

Is it the same thing?

For some ears, I know drone can be not confortable on the hwy. But riding a bus, which is loud, is ok. No effect on the confort factor.

Bottom line. When we add headers it makes the car loud. But that does not mean it will make it drone more. Correct? Is if the exhaust drone's at (let's call it) 10%. Added headers will not increase the drone level to 20%.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Well, I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, the "drone" is the amount of noise you hear inside the car at cruise. The "loud" is generally how it sounds behind the car. There are some exhaust setups that are loud, but have little or no drone, then there are other setups that are loud and have drone.

When the R/T exhaust was installed on mine, it was very loud and had a lot of drone. It turns out there was a leak where the new pipes were clamped on, so I was practically running straight pipes! (not good!) We found the leak and got it fixed, now it's very quiet and has no drone.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Ron pretty much covered it. "Loud" is the volume of the exhaust at WOT, when the engine is under a heavy load. "Drone" is the sound that the exhaust makes when at cruise (1600-2500), under a light or medium load. Drone usually occurs in systems that are not resonated. Resonators do something like bounce the sound waves back onto themselves, which makes them cancel each other out at cruise, but at WOT they are still loud. Drone is what gives people a head ache on 4 hour trips lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts