Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had asked this question on an existing thread, but I couldn't find it....sorry if you've already answered. I see where so many people are getting one of these programmers, can the same system be used on multiple cars? If so, has anyone tried this? If this is possible why is it none of the tuner/performance shops do this for like $100 bucks? and keep the equipment. Lastly, looking for opinions on which is the better system to get for a bone stock SRT8? Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
To keep it simple.
Diablo is the name of the company that makes the predator SO it's Diablo Predator vs Superchips.

Each is locked to you car so it can only be used on one car.

Predator is far superior to Superchips.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Both tuners lock themselves to the cars, so only one car per tuner.

Here is my opinions (based on a lightly modded R/T)...

I would say from seat of the pants, the predator (diablo) provides a more fun ride, but the superchips is a more refined ride. The predator is almost to aggressive, shifts to hard, etc. for say just driving the wife and kids to the grocery store. Out of the box, the superchips will idle better, not run the fans, etc. You can fix all that with the predator, but you have to change all the settings by hand (up the idle, change the fan speeds, etc.)

If you are not driving the wife and kids to the store, the 1-2 shift at wot with the predator makes it totally worth having. When I am horsing around that 1-2 shift puts a smile on my face every time. The diablo also gives you a lot more tuning options, but you probably wont need them if you plan on staying bone stock.

I found either one to be better than stock. Both of them give me better gas milage, fix the shifting issues and get rid of the lag between pressing the gas pedal and actually feeling acceleration. They both add some horse power (the predator seems to add more) but that isn't as important as the fact that they both apply the existing horse power better.

The predator is easier to use (menus and software wise) but kind of a pain because it needs external power and a serial cable rather than a usb cable to program (what computer has serial ports these days?) You can get a usb -> serial cable which is what I run, and it even works under vista. I've had no end of trouble with the superchips getting it to download updates. The predator, so far, has not given me an issue.

Personally, I am staying with the diablo. That is mostly because I know I have bunch more mods in my future when the warranty runs out on my car. At that point the custom tune you can have done with the diablo will be a must. Honestly, you will probably be happy with either, and you can probably pick up a used superchips pretty cheap right now.

Make sure you to get the opinion of someone with an SRT as that is a whole different beast. But I hope this at least helps a little.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Both tuners lock themselves to the cars, so only one car per tuner.

Here is my opinions (based on a lightly modded R/T)...
Great post. Very well articulated. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information guys!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
To keep it simple.
Diablo is the name of the company that makes the predator SO it's Diablo Predator vs Superchips.
You could also say predator vs flashpaq, or superchips vs diablo, or diablo predator vs superchips flashpaq.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Lastly, looking for opinions on which is the better system to get for a bone stock SRT8? Thanks
There would be absolutely no reason to buy superchips over diablo. Diablo does every thing superchips does plus a lot more, and it cost about the same. If you already had a superchips on your stock car and don't plan on doing any major mods, it is up to you if you want to spend another 300-400 dollars for some cool quick adjust features that diablo has.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great write up Tedson! I have been thinking this very same product comparison and your input has made the dicision very easy - DIABLO!

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you have an SRT8 forget superchips no tune!!!! You will need the predator (diablo) as it works on a SRT8!!!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Well, if money is no object, I would buy the Diablo, as it's a bit more money than the Superchips (New)...but..........You can get a Superchips programmer for under $200 with some folks here who are selling it....well worth the money.

I have been using the Superchips for over 8 months, and the gains have been amazing...week after week the car opens up even more.

I am a simple guy....just give more HP, better shifts, and an easy setup, and the Superchips delivers. If you want to play with more options, than the Diablo is for you.

The Diablo does have more options, and I will be honest, now that it can disable MDS, I just may buy one...but for that only reason, as I am 110% satisfied with the Superchips.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The TUNE is locked to a car, not the device. You can return that tuned car to stock, then apply a tune to another car - but one tune applied at a time.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What do the predators go for?

·
Registered
8,719 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
you know after I asked that I pulled it up on an add at the bottom of the Page and found it for 311.00 free shipping. I have an OBd II scanner from autozone, the orange ones, I bought the top of the line one and it is supposed to get updates and be able to change parameters too. I have never been able to do anything but read diagnostics and clear codes with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts