Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about taking the plunge and getting a Diablo. Where I live, super unleaded is 93, and from what I hear doing the Predator 93 CAI tune can really boost performance. What I'm worried about is getting the thing and screwing my computer up & not being able to e.g. take it to Dodge for service any more, etc.

Is the system pretty simple to use? I'm a computer guy, much less so a car gearhead. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yes its very easy, and when you put the Diablo tune on your car it saves your stock tune onto the Predator so that when you need to take the car to the dealership you can put the stock tune back on. And it wont hurt the cars computer at all. This is my best mod yet, you will love it man!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just a note, we have 93 octane here so I installed the 93 CAI tune. But I experienced knock so I dropped back to the 91 CAI tune and its all good. Simple to install and you can find all kinds of tips and help on this site. Go for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's something I've wondered too. From what I've read, even running the canned tunes you have to datalog the knock, pull timing, add fuel, etc. From my understanding you can really mess up your engine if you don't do these things correctly. I'd love to get a predator but I would have no idea how to do any of that stuff or even what to look for. Not sure it's worth the potential harm it could cause, IMO.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
That's something I've wondered too. From what I've read, even running the canned tunes you have to datalog the knock, pull timing, add fuel, etc. From my understanding you can really mess up your engine if you don't do these things correctly. I'd love to get a predator but I would have no idea how to do any of that stuff or even what to look for. Not sure it's worth the potential harm it could cause, IMO.
I have only had people complain about knocking with the 93 CAI tune, I am running the 91 CAI tune and I have had no problems at all. Trust me the Predator will be one of the best mods you will ever do, and your going to regret not buying it sooner when you finally do get it haha, I did

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Get the Predator and set it up with the canned 91 Tune. If you feel like trying, test the 93 tune and see how it works. The 93 tune is problematic in SRT8s it seems.

If you don't want to mess around with it just get the thing and set it up with that 91 tune and you will be a happy camper. Also don't forget to reset the TCM when you load it! This will make your tranmission feel like it is brand new!

The most difficult part for me was updating the Predator on my computer and having my computer find the darn right COM port. If you are a tech guy this probably won't bother you. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
109 Posts
A question I've had about the "canned" tunes. If you load the 91 octane tune, do you now have to run the car on 91 octane fuel?
Also, if you experience knock, with the 93 octane tune, can you feel/hear it, or do you have to data log, to find out if that's happening?

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
A question I've had about the "canned" tunes. If you load the 91 octane tune, do you now have to run the car on 91 octane fuel?
Also, if you experience knock, with the 93 octane tune, can you feel/hear it, or do you have to data log, to find out if that's happening?
No you do not need to use 91 octane with the 91 canned tune. You need to use 91 or higher for that tune.

The knock shouldn't be very noticable. The computer will sense it (hopefully before you) and retard the timing. By do this it is protecting the engine, but killing performance.

So if you run the 93 tune and you think at times the performance isn't what you think it should be, then you should start logging or go to the 91 tune.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i felt the same way you did, bro. trust me, once you get familiar with the tuner, you will get passed that fear of ruining something. after 5 minuets with the diablo its as simple as using a tv remote. i know nothing about cars, but after joining this forum and getting my car in March, i've done work on my own car like installing a cai, oil change, changed the t-stat, and other little things that i would have never attempted myself on my old nissan. my point is, get the predator and if you feel uncomfortable of have the dumbest question, just ask away and you will get answers. i had NO clue how to use the predator when it was in the mail. i've had it for 2 weeks now and can navigate through it like a champ after the 1st day. :D

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I wouldn't be scared about the Predator and/or doing harm to your car in the least. The only way you will have issues is if you start going crazy modifying the tunes with no data logging. I am sure the canned tunes have plenty of safety built into them.

Do be intimidated by this at all. It is super easy to do, and if you need help I bet another local member can give you a hand!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts