Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled them off - was sick of looking at them. Turned out great on the Driver Side door - not so much on the passenger! :( You can still see where the molding was on the passenger side.

I pulled these off about a month ago and I let it sit out in the sun, tried the GooGone, etc but no luck on one side. I hope it isn't in the clearcoat or something. Any Ideas?

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Thoughts/Ideas/Opinions?

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I want to do this but I am afraid of this as well as dings.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's why I take up 2 parking spots OR park out in BFE

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Did you buy your new or used? If bought used, then maybe there was a repaint...

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
looks good... sorry to hear about the marks... did you try to buff out...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Try a clay bar. That worked wonders for me. It left a hint of shadow for about a week, but eventually matched up great.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Your doors have, at some point in time, been repainted. I know because this is EXACTLY what happened to me on my door that was repainted (I was unaware the body shop did this or I would not have removed the modlings). Here's a pic:

The paint is, like yours, two completely different colors and that has nothing to do with it being faded. The only solution is to get it repainted. On my door, they sanded and blended the paint without stripping the entire door, then cleared the whole thing and it was still BARELY noticable so I made them wet-sand and polish where the strip was and now you would never know. When it's on one side like that, it's a clear indication that it's a paint difference, not just due to fade. Plus, that's a LIGHTER section, not a darker one, so that would be the opposite effect that fading would have. I could tell from the first "after" picture that it was two different colors. A quick fix is just to wet-sand and polish but that won't make the paint all one color and you will still notice it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well fantastic! Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I demolded yesterday and the same damn thing happened to me, im so pissed! :soapbox: Sorry to hear that happened to you too :rolleyes2: I blame everyone else on here that said "demold its easy and looks so much better.... yeah bs haha :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I demolded yesterday and the same damn thing happened to me, im so pissed! :soapbox: Sorry to hear that happened to you too :rolleyes2: I blame everyone else on here that said "demold its easy and looks so much better.... yeah bs haha :biggrinjester:
I'm one of those...right?!? :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Looks great but I think I will leave my alone I dont want anymore dings :(

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Hmmm, not sure what's going on with that side of your ride. It's unusual to have this problem, even more unusual to have it on one-side only... Have you taken her to a good body-shop yet? If it's the original paint, that should buff out...

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I would try the claybar and then just let it sit out in the sun for 2 weeks and it should clear up.. I had the same issue with mine but a week and half later it went away.. Like Kaboom :D

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to try a clay bar and then see if they can buff it out. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm going to try a clay bar and then see if they can buff it out. I'll let you know.
The paint is two different colors... It appears as though your doors have been re-sprayed, as though the car has been in an accident. Either you were the new owner and had an accident or you bought used and the previous one did, but either way, that's definitely what it looks like to me. It won't buff out. Waxing it is going to make it worse, by the way. If you get it wetsanded there is a possibility it will remove the "line" between the colors, but there will still be two different colors right up next to each other.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts