Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got off the fence about the demolding and did it. I also got the 1st oil change in with the help on my daughter. I have a son, but he was playing Halo 3. Note the spider filter wrench in the picture. That thing will remove any oil filter that it has clearance to. the factory filter was on very tight. It was several turns until it was hand tight.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/vanyir/?action=view&current=lil-helper.jpg
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/vanyir/?action=view&current=oilchg1.jpg

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I finally got off the fence about the demolding and did it. I also got the 1st oil change in with the help on my daughter. I have a son, but he was playing Halo 3. Note the spider filter wrench in the picture. That thing will remove any oil filter that it has clearance to. the factory filter was on very tight. It was several turns until it was hand tight.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/vanyir/?action=view&current=lil-helper.jpg
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/vanyir/?action=view&current=oilchg1.jpg
Yeah dude i work for jiffy lube...factory filters really suck. the worst by far are factory toyota filters.:smoke:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did my first oil change (1400 miles) two weeks ago and demolded a couple of days ago. I like it without the moldings.

I replaced the filter with a PH8A which is about an inch longer, makes it easier to get my oil filter wrench on it. The factory one was, as you say, very tight.

My son wanted to help, but being 18 months old he mostly just wanted to bang on the car with a wrench and play in the used oil. The Mommy had to keep him at a safe distance. He was very curious what I was doing laying under the car.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
a PH8A is the standard ford small block filter from like 1910 (lol) till about mid 90's. While I can believe the thread is the same I never thought to look at the gasket plate size. Very nice, nearly double the oil capacity.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a K&N back on it. I like the 1" nut on the filter. Aircraft filters have been like that for years. Not sure I need to pay $14 a filter every time though!

·
Registered
191 Posts
By the way, I wonder what kind of oil comes in the Hemi from the factory. The stuff was slimy and orange. I went with Castrol GTX until the next oil change, when I'll switch to Mobil 1.

I was a little hesitant to use a different filter, but the recent Mopar Action magazine says OK. Not sure about providing more filter area or keeping the oil cooler, but the longer filter is simply easier to get off.

Edit: I usually use Wix filters, didn't have one handy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I put a K&N back on it. I like the 1" nut on the filter. Aircraft filters have been like that for years. Not sure I need to pay $14 a filter every time though!
If you are looking for a quality oversized filter for our cars, try www.filter1.com and order a bunch of Wix 51515's. I ordered a bunch for all three of our cars so shipping was free (order total over $50).

Average cost for the filter to my door was $3.14 a piece !!!!!

Check www.bobistheoilguy.com for great oil/filter info. Wix is very well respected and the price is the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
191 Posts
By the way, I wonder what kind of oil comes in the Hemi from the factory. The stuff was slimy and orange. I went with Castrol GTX until the next oil change, when I'll switch to Mobil 1.

Edit: I usually use Wix filters, didn't have one handy.
Sounds like you drained the transmission ! :grin: Just kidding...slimy orange sounds odd though...very odd. Do you have the oil still? Aa UOA might be very interesting on it.

Great choice on the Wix...as I stated above, 51515 is the oversized for the 5.7

·
Registered
430 Posts
Aren't you glad you demolded it?!? I LOVE the look of mine w/o the molding! I have become a little more paranoid about where I park...but that's kind of a good thing: I'm getting a lot of exercise that way!

Love your lil helper too! She reminds me of me when I was her age <tear falls>...

·
Registered
43 Posts
What do you guys mean by demolding? I haven't heard of this.
Removing the side molding on the doors.

I've been contemplating doing this but am terrified as to what I might find under it.:eek:

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Looks good....! I guess us talking about it at the M&G was just enough to push you off the fence. I think it's great that your daughter wants to help. Get the kids interested while they are young.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I still have the slimy orange used oil, but not completely uncontaminated. Drained into the communal drain container, which was mostly empty, but not clean. BTW, Fram PH8A=Wix 51515. I think I will get a bulk of Wix filters for my cars and tractors, to keep "in stock".

My last thought before peeling the moldings was, I can put them back on if I don't like it. So far I see no reason to put them back on. It also makes cleaning the car easier, it was hard to get the doors clean right up to the edge of the moldings. Black paint shows everything.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Aren't you glad you demolded it?!? I LOVE the look of mine w/o the molding! I have become a little more paranoid about where I park...but that's kind of a good thing: I'm getting a lot of exercise that way!

Love your lil helper too! She reminds me of me when I was her age <tear falls>...
I've found that it does not matter if you have side moldings or not... you still are vulnerible to dings from anything that sits higher than the charger... which is a lot of other cars and especially trucks. I have not demolded, but I still got dinged by a pickup about 4 inches above the molding. Inconsiderate bastards.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think I will try the Wix next time out. It was pretty warm here yesterday and the moldings came off easy as pie. I rolled off the tape that stuck with my fingers, washed down the area with a wet rag, and got the rest with Goo Gone.
I am digging the look. I ordered some Altezza tails on Ebay yesterday (not LED). I think they will look good on black. I didn't see any like them here, so I will post pics when I get em.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went back and forth and back and forth about the molding ever since buying my Charger a little over a month ago and seeing on this forum how it looks without the molding. Well I finally made the jump and went towards the dark side today and removed them. What finally pushed me over the fence was looking on the Chrysler website and seeing that the 300 has moldings as well. Even if they are slightly different moldings they only serve to make my car look more like a 300 and less like the "road" and "track" Charger that I have. How many prefessional race cars, that are currently on the track, do you see with side moldings? Add to that the fact that they simply do not stop dents because the Charger sits so much lower than most cars and there is no protection from those big trucks. All I could see was the dirt that kept being collected and how much of a pain in the ass it would be to get an even coat of polish on my car (something I'm planning to do very soon). Plus it is very true that high performance luxury cars that are in the very high $ range are always void of side moldings (that and concept cars). That is not an opinion but a simple fact. I also didn't want to put it off and wait too long to do it if I was gonna get them removed. Well I did it and I am very pleased with it. I used a hair dryer on the tape and it peeled right of without even a bit of stickum left. Easiest mod in the world. Plus if you keep the moldings you could always have them put back on if you decided you didn't like it. I definitely don't see that ever happening though. I'm lovin it way too much without em. They are just stuck on by two strips of a very thin adhesive tape. I also did the head light mod today and that took all of 10 minutes and it has greatly increased the safety of my ride. I am totally pleased with my work.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Removing the side molding on the doors.

I've been contemplating doing this but am terrified as to what I might find under it.:eek:
It scared me when I first took mine off b/c there was a slight color difference, I'm guessing from minor sun-fade or something. I clayed it and waxed the he** out of it...then I let it sit out in the sun for a couple of days. Now the color difference is totally not even remotely there; I'm SO HAPPY I didn't second guess myself on it! Here's my rational on it: if the lines didn't go away, I would've gone and goten that molding tape and put them right back on where the lines were...it's not like it's something that you can't fix if you decide you don't like it.

It totally changed the way the car looked to me. Like I've said before, it seemed to take on more of that "concept car" kind of look.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've only had my ride for a couple of months with about 1900 miles and id like to rip those off but my only concern is whats underneath. If there are paint imperfections will the dealership fix it or is it out of my pocket? I really hate the fact that they pick up everything on the road and its a pita to get that crapola off , plus i think it would look better from the pics ive seen here.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I noticed you used ramps did you have any problems when you backed the car off of them? I tried a different set than you have and damn near ripped my chin spoiler off the car when i backed it off.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If I had any major paint imperfections under the moldings, I'd just put them back on rather than fight with a dealer about it. If it is warm, they come off really easy, doesn't hurt to try.

BTW I think the Sublime cars look awesome (more awesome?) when demolded.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.