Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, this is it, the one and only place to put any and all info on this subject together. Facts I know.

1. Its not possible to buy a Charger or Magnum police package vehicle equipped with the SRT engine.

2. While it is possible for a department to purchase an SRT and rig it for police work, I have no documented cases of this happening.

3. Its possible for a department to have one that is a confiscation, but again, no confirmed reports to date.

4. I do know of, and have seen pictures of, a 300C SRT-8 police car, in HI, where all police use their personal vehicles as police cars.

5. I have one report, from a very trusted source, TNCharger, of a shady county sheriff in TN who got the county to buy him one, which he used. He then lost the next election and the car was auctioned.

What I'm after is real, documented cases. Photos, press reports, stuff like that. In two years, not one verified case has surfaced. I've dug into county, city and state budget reports, searched exhaustively in as many ways as I can think of, and nothing.

But to hear the car geeks on the net tell it, every damn department out there has them. Oddly enough, when you did into the forums that police frequent, like officer.com and others, the cops dont mention them either.

So, get out there, and see what you can find. All reports will be analyzed and evaluated:)

Edited to add what pics we do have with short notes on what and where.....

300C rigged out, Indianapolis area, personal car, reports vary if its some sort of court officer, or a high ranking member of a department in one of the nearby counties...

County Sheriff in the southeast, bought with drug funds, will be used for parades and school stuff.

Shreveport, LA, car has a radar unit, which leads to the idea it might actually pull over people. no further data on it. Converted car, not built this way, but very well done...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'm a cop in Northern California and have never seen nor heard of one. All the advertisements in police magazines state 3.5L or 5.7L. A neighboring agency has several with the 5.7L.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
hey bill check out the BROWARD SHERIFF'S OFFICE. at one time the sheriff him self was driving a black srt rigged with lights in the grill and strobes and a lite bar in the front windsheild. it was a short time he used it for what i heard-and it may have been a loner to get them to buy the fleet of chargers they have.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can find many references to the BSO having four Chargers, and pics of units like this...

But no mention anywhere of the Sheriff having an SRT-8. Not from the BRoward guys on officer.com or anywhere. We've had so many misidentifications, its hard to go with heresay.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Bill needs a new hobby :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
The only way we'll have one in my department is if we confiscate one. I know of several R/T's in depts. in my neck of Texas but have never heard of any SRT's. I'll check with my fleet manager and pick his brain. He is pretty in touch with what the mainstream depts. in Texas are running.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Im putting the Police Oil Cooler in mine, does that count ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I see LOTS of Chargers that have the police package up here in Canada, but I don't think I have seen ANY that were SRT's. Come to think of it, I don't think I have even seen a single R/T police package, only the V6 ones.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, Fly, it doesnt, but thanks for playing:)

Bump for the daytime crew, whachya got?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Come to think of it, it won't make much sense for police to use the SRT8s . For one thing it uses a lot of gas, also it needs super unleaded. It won't be practical as a squad car. Neverthless, I've seen some Paintshopped DC SRT8 squad cars and they looked freeking menacing! :monster: :D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I know the Traffic Enforcement division in the S.O. that I work for has a couple stealth 5.7's, but no known 6.1's.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I know BSO had ONE personal SRT, but supposively it was never used for police work...We have a bunch of BSO employees come to our dealership, so I've asked...and they all said it wasn't a police vehicle.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Cookie:)

·
Registered
628 Posts
They could be lying though...so I don't mess up their cars for wasting my tax money...lol

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Come to think of it, it won't make much sense for police to use the SRT8s . For one thing it uses a lot of gas, also it needs super unleaded. It won't be practical as a squad car. Neverthless, I've seen some Paintshopped DC SRT8 squad cars and they looked freeking menacing! :monster: :D
It would make a lot of sense out in the desert areas of the where cars are frequently doing over 100mph

Of course now police are using technology instead of the old fashioned HP police pursuit vehicles.

man, I miss the old days

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
wow thats weird-because THE BSO has at least 9 chargers in their fleet. 5 alone are sitting with in my eye site right now and theres one more parked at their office 6 blocks down the street. i wonder how they cant keep track of their own cars? and they bso has a little less then 6500 officers so their patrol units have to be some were in the 3500 range

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=976638

This post, which looks to be a copy of a press release, talks of more than a dozen more after the initial four, and that was last year, so more would be expected by now.

I got the 1400 number from here.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=3696&view=findpost&p=50667

And that person quotes a newspaper article, and says

Right now county Broward County is trying out 4 V8 Chargers as i write this.The Sheriff claims they get better miliage then the Vic even if its only 2 miles per gallon.He claims if he changes the 1400 fleet of Crown Vics it will save alot of money in the long run

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Nothing around these parts... although we may have luck finding a constable with one. They usually have to purchase their own units and get reimbursed for mileage and use.

Doubtful any of them could afford an SRT8, though. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only Police Chargers built by Dodge have either the 5.7 hemi or the 6. If you look at the Chrysler fleet web site... it gives you all the information on the police vehicles. If someone has a SRT Charger being used in law enforcement it is the same model anyone can purchase from a dealer. The SRT is not certified for law enforcement like the true police vehicles are.

1 - 20 of 267 Posts