Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be buying a new ride next spring as my goat has gotten a little too raucus for the street so I will relegate it to weekends and 1/4 mile test and tunes. Plus I need to replace my decrepid, oil-burning 165k+ mile toyota corolla daily driver before it expires. The contenders are:

1. Pontiac G8 GT
2. Charger SRT-8

Whatever I get won't be about pure all out performance - I have that already. I need something civil, sophisticated, from one of the traditional detroit companies (Ford, GM, Chrysler) but with a V-8 and costing less than $37K. Would even consider a smart buy option so I could decide whether to live with it after 3 years or so.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You're kidding, right? Tell me you're joking.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope. Did I ask the wrong question?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think they are "taken aback" because you are "comparing" (even though you really aren't) the G8 to the srt8. The appropriate comparison, might...I say might...be the G8 and the Charger 5.7..

My guess anyway..

for my part..I can;t wait to drive the G8 to see how it "FEELS".

I personally don't think it will be in the same league from a "driving pleasure" standpoint as an srt8..but should be more than a handful, competition wise, for the 300C and the Charger r/t. (and I have read, and heard from Pontiac and GM execs..that is the main purpost of the G8)

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
I think they are "taken aback" because you are "comparing" (even though you really aren't) the G8 to the srt8. The appropriate comparison, might...I say might...be the G8 and the Charger 5.7..
I compared the supercharged grand prix against the Charger R/T, not even in the same league. Forgot how much I hated higher HP torque steer.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Well, I guess there's that part of it, but it just seemed like a funny thing to post. He could have guessed the answers here without even asking. No disrespect intended.

Finding a new SRT8 under 37K is possible but it will take some looking around. No comparison between it and the G6.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

My guess anyway..

for my part..I can;t wait to drive the G8 to see how it "FEELS".

I personally don't think it will be in the same league from a "driving pleasure" standpoint as an srt8..but should be more than a handful, competition wise, for the 300C and the Charger r/t. (and I have read, and heard from Pontiac and GM execs..that is the main purpost of the G8)
Yes. The 300C or Charger RT is probably the direct competition for the G8 GT and I have driven both and they seemed down on power. Maybe the G8 GT won't be much better but the availability of a stick might make viable so I need to consider it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
well..I accidentally ticked off some GM loyalists (couple years ago) when I compared the 300C srt8 to the sts-v..they were flabbergasted. But they missed my point...I own BOTH!!!! They are very similar...4-door sedans that run 13.1-13.3 1/4s, 0-60 in 4.7-4.9, loaded with luxury items (heated seats, bluetooth phone, nav systems, rain sensing wipers, rear back up assist, etc... (my sts-v has three things my srt8 does not..touch screen versus dial/button nav, rear heated seats, and voice commands for certain features.)

The real difference is personal style, exhaust note, look etc.. (and price)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes. The 300C or Charger RT is probably the direct competition for the G8 GT and I have driven both and they seemed down on power. Maybe the G8 GT won't be much better but the availability of a stick might make viable so I need to consider it.
yes, and especially when your used to your GTO..

I din't take it that way at all..you just mentioned two cars your looking at. Like I said..I want to drive the G8...

The two GM cars I have now (tahoe and sts-v) impress the hell out of me, but so do my Hemis...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well..I accidentally ticked off some GM loyalists (couple years ago) when I compared the 300C srt8 to the sts-v..they were flabbergasted. But they missed my point...I own BOTH!!!! They are very similar...4-door sedans that run 13.1-13.3 1/4s, 0-60 in 4.7-4.9, loaded with luxury items (heated seats, bluetooth phone, nav systems, rain sensing wipers, rear back up assist, etc... (my sts-v has three things my srt8 does not..touch screen versus dial/button nav, rear heated seats, and voice commands for certain features.)

The real difference is personal style, exhaust note, look etc.. (and price)
Since you owned two high powered 4-doors from dodge and cadillac respectively, can you tell how they stack up in terms of everyday utility and performance? Granted the STS-V is not the same animal that a G8 GT would be but it would give me an idea of how the best from Dodge compares with the best from GM.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
The two GM cars I have now (tahoe and sts-v) impress the hell out of me, but so do my Hemis...
I love the Hemi. I hate the LX suspension setup though, so if one is used to Pontiac's suspension treatment they might be better off staying with Pontiac.

(note: I'm going by 10-year-old information here, as you can tell by my stash of cars... I'm assuming that Pontiac didn't forget how to tune suspensions for great performance/ride combinations over the past few years, above and beyond what other divisions could do with the same platform)

Nonetheless, why not test drive the actual cars first and judge for yourself instead of asking an model-specific enthusiast base what they prefer? :confused:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Since you owned two high powered 4-doors from dodge and cadillac respectively, can you tell how they stack up in terms of everyday utility and performance? Granted the STS-V is not the same animal that a G8 GT would be but it would give me an idea of how the best from Dodge compares with the best from GM.
I think you are confusing the sts with the sts-v..which is 469 HP and 439 lb. ft/torque.

It is quiet compared to the srt8..but smooth as hell. 0-60s in the 4.6 range are easily repeated because it is so easy to launch. They get 13.1-13.2 consistently right out of the box.

The two cars feel different..one feels like refined American Muscle (srt8). The Caddy feels like a luxury car with a rocket for an engine..more of a european feel. They are both awesome though..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts