Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey so I have an 06 RT. My bad luck with replacing my fogs continues - I had some yellow Oracle HOD's (85 watt bulbs that come with "protective" wiring to deal with the extra power) that I had to warranty replace once because the bulb blew...only to have the replacement bulb melt the wiring and reflector inside the fog light assembly which cost big bucks to replace.

So a year or so later of rolling with the oem's I decided I wanted to try again, but this time I went for standard 55 watt yellow bulbs by Nokya. Of course in about a week one of them popped and apparently shattered because I can see the broken bulb inside the fog light.

I replaced the bulb but don't know how to get the crap out of the fog. Do I have to take the front end off to get inside there? Also is it dangerous to use the fog lights with that stuff in there?

Thanks any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thwre are two bolts at the backside of tjw housing and it comes.out.of the fascia...just remove it, shake out the debris and re-install.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thwre are two bolts at the backside of tjw housing and it comes.out.of the fascia...just remove it, shake out the debris and re-install.

Thanks for the tip...are those bolts reachable with the car flat on the ground?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yes...with some maneuvering...but you may ned to remove the belly pan under the bumper (couple compressin clips...no biggie). then two star drive screws per housing...pop out amd done.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes...with some maneuvering...but you may ned to remove the belly pan under the bumper (couple compressin clips...no biggie). then two star drive screws per housing...pop out amd done.

ok same as accessing the bulbs...I'll take a look, thanks again!

:beerchug:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Hey this totally worked. Got all the stuff out of the housing, thanks so much!
:D

Unfortunately the lens seems to have been dulled or damaged from the bursting bulb...It's really dim when I turn on the fogs. There was definitely some powdery residue inside the lens that I was able to wipe off with a damp napkin attached to a bbq skewer, but it's still noticeably dim compared to the other fog. Maybe I'll poke around the interwebs to see if I can find a reasonably priced housing. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a puddle of water in one of my fogs :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a puddle of water in one of my fogs :(
That would drive me crazy bro.

The housing was easy to pop out...once you have it out I'm sure you can just dump the water out...until the next time it rains...:confused:

·
Registered
369 Posts
That would drive me crazy bro.

The housing was easy to pop out...once you have it out I'm sure you can just dump the water out...until the next time it rains...:confused:
Haha it drives me up the wall, makes the HID in it look kinda funky, does the cover to the fog litteraly pop off. Or do i have to mess around with removing wheel well cover?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Haha it drives me up the wall, makes the HID in it look kinda funky, does the cover to the fog litteraly pop off. Or do i have to mess around with removing wheel well cover?
I think the only way to remove the lens cover is to bake the housing in the oven.

The housing is accessed behind the wheel well cover as POTTER mentioned. Unscrew the 2 star bolts (6 sided if I remember correctly) located at 4 & 10 o'clock on the back of the housing. The housing slides out toward the FRONT of the car...mine popped out really fast so be prepared or lay a towel or something down to catch it. I was able to shake the crud out of the hole on the back where the bulb goes. I'm pretty sure the water can be poured out that way as well.

Let me know if that works!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think the only way to remove the lens cover is to bake the housing in the oven.

The housing is accessed behind the wheel well cover as POTTER mentioned. Unscrew the 2 star bolts (6 sided if I remember correctly) located at 4 & 10 o'clock on the back of the housing. The housing slides out toward the FRONT of the car...mind popped out really fast so be prepared or lay a towel or something down to catch it. I was able to shake the crud out of the hole on the back where the bulb goes. I'm pretty sure the water can be poured out that way as well.

Let me know if that works!
Sounds good, there is a small crack which is were the water is getting in, and like you said when it rains or i wash my car ahain its gonna fill up again. Maybe ill just get new fogs, they are a little cloudy from the moisture

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good, there is a small crack which is were the water is getting in, and like you said when it rains or i wash my car ahain its gonna fill up again. Maybe ill just get new fogs, they are a little cloudy from the moisture
Yeah dude...once you're under there you may as well make a permanent fix.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Tjere is no way to srparate thr lens and housing...i have tried...lol. Just use a little silicone to seal yje.crack or replace the.housing

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I had a bulb explode inside too. Same issue with the powdery substance on the inside. I tried filling the light with water and shaking it like crazy. Nothing worked.

Then I had an idea. I stuffed a paper towel into the bulb hole. Then I took my long thin needle nose pliers and stuck them into the hole as well and pinched the towel. I moved and twisted them all around to clean off the inside. Once it was all wiped up I pulled the towel back out with the pliers. It made a huge difference.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
You can separate the housing as many people have installed Halos inside the fogs. But you have to cut the lens off with a dremel or something, then epoxy it back together.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a bulb explode inside too. Same issue with the powdery substance on the inside. I tried filling the light with water and shaking it like crazy. Nothing worked.

Then I had an idea. I stuffed a paper towel into the bulb hole. Then I took my long thin needle nose pliers and stuck them into the hole as well and pinched the towel. I moved and twisted them all around to clean off the inside. Once it was all wiped up I pulled the towel back out with the pliers. It made a huge difference.
Yeah man, I used a damp paper towel and a bbq skewer...i was able to wipe it down pretty good and it made some difference, but it's still significantly dimmer on one side and it's driving me nuts. It's really hard to work within that 1" circumference on the back of the housing. MAYBE in a few weeks i'll spring for a new housing although I must admit I'm freaking too through with my fog light drama.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Does anyone know how much oem replacements are?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.