Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I have this whole weekend free, and I can't decide if I should paint the "tan" pieces in black or not... Should I?
I'm planning on some Krylon Plastics in flat black with a light coat of Clear Top Coat.
I also wanted to do the armrest (vinyl section) of the door panels in red, to add to my red trims and seats.

Since my Charger will be in storage for a while, there will be plenty of time to dry and be 100% chip resistant before anyone uses it again. If it doesn't work out, then I'll have enough money for the Super Bee black trims.

Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Is this watcha mean?

Current

Black Door panels

Black + Red Door Panels

Black Panels, with same leather used on the console cover with red double stichings

Choice 3, well, i think you have a great theme going on in the center console, with the console cover, shifter boot and shifter being all Black and stiched in red, my suggestion is to continue the theme... The door panels,( the tan parts) are 2 peices, paint on the bottom part will work great, but you will be touching top peice, so would be nice to have it leathered for a better feel, maybe even low profile padding to soften it all up... Think it bring a sporty and luxury feel to it... Jus my 2 cents...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I started all the sh*t already this morning a couple hours after I wrote the post. Everything is done, just needs dry time before I put everything back. I'm thinking maybe tomorrow afternoon, or Saturday morning.
It didn't come out quite as I expected; a little shiny due to the clear coat. I used Semi-Gloss black Krylon Plastic on everything, no red sections like I wanted; too much work.
The only thing I left unpainted was the handles, which I plan on putting the leather with red stiching to match the shift knob, shift boot, console cover, and steering wheel.
Should come out great at the end. I just gotta see how well it holds.
The paint says it's supposed to be fully chip resistant withing 7 days, but we'll see.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's Correct. MPSC has a conversion kit now available on thier site.

I know, but it costs too [email protected] much. It cost me $40.00 tops to buy all the paint stuff to paint all trims. I know it won't hold for too long, but it'll get me by until I have some money to drop on those panels; that is, if I don't trade the Charger by then, lol.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I just put everything back. It was too hot, so everything dried quick. Came out shiny, which I didn't quite want, but looks ok. Will take pictures soon.

·
Registered
358 Posts
So the shifter cover is a generic one from advanced auto parts? I saw the shifter cover too and liked that. Gives the impression of having a manual. Wonder if advanced auto parts will have those online??? I see an inquiry coming my way.

Goval, the red need to carry into the door panels, mayber get a red headliner installed. Rid the ridew of the tan bro. Looking good!

Nice work on your project.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Doesn't look bad, truely brings the red seats to attention now... but there is a slight color mismatch... as u said it might be the clear coat... But that beats the tan around the red...

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't look bad, truely brings the red seats to attention now... but there is a slight color mismatch... as u said it might be the clear coat... But that beats the tan around the red...
That's exactly what I think... I don't 100% like it, but I like it 100% better than the tan color.
Guess I'll be ordering the Super Bee stuff when I have the money, cause I definitely like the black better than the tan.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Goval, the red need to carry into the door panels, mayber get a red headliner installed. Rid the ridew of the tan bro. Looking good!

Nice work on your project.
Man, I realy wanted to do that, but I didn't have the patience to paint the red section, then wait to dry, then paint the black section... too much work.
When I order the Super Bee stuff, I will remove that vinyl section and paint it red. I definitely will have more patience when I come back from Bahrain.
The vinyl section comes off, you just need to melt the plastic tabs off; the whole panel is actualy 3 pieces stuck together by melted tabs.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
did you sand the pieces and if you did what did you use? How much prep was there to do?

No sanding or priming. I wiped the OEM pieces with paint thinner before to remove any wax and all the cleaning products used in the past. The OEM plastic is pretty clean already. I used Krylon "Fusion" for plastics, with Dupli-Color Clear Coat.
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/49-266-plastic-spray-paint/krylon-fusion-spray-paint-656984.aspx?CAWELAID=42551474
It's holding up extremely good so far, but I'm sure those scuff parts will get scratched eventualy, it's just a matter of time. I'm babying the stuff though, lol.

·
Registered
907 Posts
well... welll .. well. It seems i have started something....

I am glad you like it.. I agree the clear makes it shinny. mine are shinny also... I am surpirsed at how fast you got it done thou... I had alot of other things revolving around the trim going back in, but the actually time it takes to paint isn't bad..

Congrats... it looks good. I would have painted the door handles black then when you had time or money you could have wraped them in leather.. it would have blended better.

Hell you could order red leather and have them wrapped in red leather... that will be the missing red on the door handles... it will be expensive thou..

·
Registered
907 Posts
also you could paint the ring around the window switches red it would go with the handles and the other trim you have..

It wouldn't be hard at all.. you pretty much have to take out the window switches to get the handles off anyways..

anyways... looks good bro...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Goval,

Can I ask why you decided to use paint instead of dye?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts