Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed a Magnaflow in my 2012 SRT8 Charger, and the 3" system sounds *AWESOME* 90% of the time, but unfortunately, I get this enormous drone in the cabin at certain gears/rpm's, and also when on MDS on the highway.

Is there any way to deal with this in a cost-efficient way? I've talked to a local exhaust business and they had no quick fixes, but they haven't dealt much with Magnaflow systems either. So I thought I'd ask here if there is anything I can do to lower or eliminate the drone completely?

I get it at about 2.5-3k rpm on second gear and as I mentioned, when on MDS on the highway. It sounds terrible and if I can't fix it, I'll probably be forced to go back to the original system...

I'm thinking about using some material to dampen the system, to potentially make it less prone to vibrate. But it's the heat issue as well, I suppose.

Well, like I said - anyone got any good solutions/suggestions?

· Registered
13,100 Posts
Granted, mine was a V6, but I got the Magnaflow system to get rid of the drone I had from other systems! The only time I had trouble with it, was when there was an exhaust leak in the seam just before the muffler, from the install. They re-welded that, cured the leak, then it was great!

Good luck with yours.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Granted, mine was a V6, but I got the Magnaflow system to get rid of the drone I had from other systems! The only time I had trouble with it, was when there was an exhaust leak in the seam just before the muffler, from the install. They re-welded that, cured the leak, then it was great!

Good luck with yours.
How would I go about determining whether I have a leak that is causing this?

· Registered
13,100 Posts
Usually you can see it or feel it. First, check around the seams for any dirty/sooty spots, then with the motor running (in Park brakes set!), listen and feel for any noise and drafts. It would feel like air puffing against your hand. Obviously, try to do that before the pipes heat up too much. ;)

The small leak on mine was kind of on the top of the joint, but I could hear it easily laying down next to the car.

· Registered
369 Posts
not much you can do besides by the corsa system... i had magnaflow cat back on two other vehicles and it just drones at certain rpms and always when mds is on

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not much you can do besides by the corsa system... i had magnaflow cat back on two other vehicles and it just drones at certain rpms and always when mds is on
So the Corsa system is a catback replacement for the Magnaflow system? Do you have a link for my specific Charger model (2012 SRT8)?

And what about the sound of the Corsa system?

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3djSsGVM1Y

corsa is better sounding imo... and yes its a whole catback... marylandspeed quoted around 1400 for it. it is drone free 100%
Can't say I thought that sounded much better. And the price is the same (or more) as my Magnaflow so changing wouldn't really be very price-efficient, unfortunately.

I would love to have a good solution for the drone and keep the Magnaflow. I'm going to check to see if there are any leaks, but I doubt there is.

· Registered
68 Posts
i had the same problem with my 04 goat when i had my custom 31/2" exhaust put on. the drone was so bad it gave me a headache. what my shop did that built my exhaust was that the mufflers are the culprit. and all they did was move the muffler about 2 feet from the back of the exhaust. and bam no more drone, even at any rpm. and the sound is the same. my muffler is a full race muffler. if you like your system then all you will need to do is move the mufflers. i currently have 45,000 miles on my mods and have never had any drone in that time.

· Registered
13,100 Posts
You can also look into having a resonance chamber installed. (I think that's what it's called.) It's a short, closed section of pipe added on to your exhaust. It's tuned to the right length to cancel out the drone frequency.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can also look into having a resonance chamber installed. (I think that's what it's called.) It's a short, closed section of pipe added on to your exhaust. It's tuned to the right length to cancel out the drone frequency.
Tried to Google this - do you have some info about how one would go about to do this on a Magnaflow system?

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i had the same problem with my 04 goat when i had my custom 31/2" exhaust put on. the drone was so bad it gave me a headache. what my shop did that built my exhaust was that the mufflers are the culprit. and all they did was move the muffler about 2 feet from the back of the exhaust. and bam no more drone, even at any rpm. and the sound is the same. my muffler is a full race muffler. if you like your system then all you will need to do is move the mufflers. i currently have 45,000 miles on my mods and have never had any drone in that time.
I'm assuming that moving the muffler means cutting and welding it? Do you mean the front or rear mufflers? The rear muffflers are much larger and couldn't be moved 2 feet in any direction of course :)

· Registered
593 Posts
Do you have mufflers AND resonators? I'm only asking because you asked if it was the front or rear mufflers. The Magnaflow mufflers would be the ones in the center of your car, the resonators would be at the back end near the tips. Right?

I have magnaflows and there's a bit of drone, but nothing crazy. I can't say which ones they are besides Magnaflows as I bought it used. I however, do not have any resonators.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have mufflers AND resonators? I'm only asking because you asked if it was the front or rear mufflers. The Magnaflow mufflers would be the ones in the center of your car, the resonators would be at the back end near the tips. Right?

I have magnaflows and there's a bit of drone, but nothing crazy. I can't say which ones they are besides Magnaflows as I bought it used. I however, do not have any resonators.
Maybe it's the language barrier, I'm from Sweden. I have the entire Magnaflow 15494 catback system that have muffler in the middle and in the back. Perhaps I'm just mistaken about what the enlarged part in the middle is? I'm no exhaust expert (as have been shown) :)

· Registered
593 Posts
Maybe it's the language barrier, I'm from Sweden. I have the entire Magnaflow 15494 catback system that have muffler in the middle and in the back. Perhaps I'm just mistaken about what the enlarged part in the middle is? I'm no exhaust expert (as have been shown) :)
whoa. Not a language barrier problem. It appears I just didn't know what I'm talking about. ;)

From the manual, your resonators are in the middle while your mufflers are in the back.

Unless I'm just completely wrong about everything, the rest of us (i'm guessing pre - 2011) have the mufflers in the middle, with the resonators on the back end by the tips.

· Registered
593 Posts
It seems as though Mexi is right and you'll have to go with the Corsa. Although after now browsing around on the exhaust matters for a bit, a lot of people have removed their mufflers altogether leaving only the resonators behind. I don't know if this is something that would work for you or not. Maybe move the mufflers from the rear, into the middle where the resonators are currently located?

I'm not saying that any of this would work, but maybe someone else with more knowledge on the matter will chime in and give some better advice.

Either way, nice looking ride you got there. Hope it all works out for you without costing too much $$. Good luck. :beerchug:

· Registered
13,100 Posts
Sandman- I found what I was thinking of, it's called a "Helmholtz Resonator." Here's a good picture of it:

It's just a simple pipe of the right length to cancel out the frequency of the drone. "Hopefully" a good exhaust shop would know how to add one for you. :)

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sandman- I found what I was thinking of, it's called a "Helmholtz Resonator." Here's a good picture of it:

It's just a simple pipe of the right length to cancel out the frequency of the drone. "Hopefully" a good exhaust shop would know how to add one for you. :)
Wow, that looked advanced! But cool :) Hmmm, I'll talk to a exhaust shop about it :) Thanks!

· Registered
3,329 Posts
OP - the Helmholtz Resonator is system specific. meaning it is designed for a specific system or application. companies go through a lot of r&d to get this correct. trying to add it on as a after thought is not likely going to be successful. magnaflow systems have drone....... period. if you want a drone free system, either stay stock or buy the corsa.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.