Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone PLEASE give me a simple answer on where to go (i want a local chain store) to buy front pads. I want the same quality pads that are on the car. I don't want to sacrifice quality for lower price, but I don't think $300 at the dealership is worth the price. Part # too please.

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
How much are the pads at the parts counter?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Uhhm you actually want better break pads, or at least ones that dont cause SO MUCH break dust...............

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well how does one know that break dust means that they are bad pads? Maybe they are good pads but the downside is lots of dust......i dunno.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I am quite happy with my OEM pads too.
I dont notice much dust at all, actually little dust at all

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm not saying they are BAD. I'm saying you may want (unless you dont care about all the black dust all over the rim) ones that dont do that, also THERE are better break pads then the OEM ones......

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
What??? You must be lucky or not looking!! :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
well how does one know that break dust means that they are bad pads? Maybe they are good pads but the downside is lots of dust......i dunno.
Sorry if my first post came across wrong.....Wasnt meant to!!:grin:

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
can someone PLEASE give me a simple answer on where to go (i want a local chain store) to buy front pads. I want the same quality pads that are on the car. I don't want to sacrifice quality for lower price, but I don't think $300 at the dealership is worth the price. Part # too please.

THANKS!
Live in Chicagoland?

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
hey, just be thankful you don't have to replace them on an SRT!!!

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I just received my car back from the dealership from getting my front breaks fixed because they were making a squeaking noise when driving down the road, so they resurface my front rotors and put on new ceramic pads + labor for 210.00 . So all of they squeaking went away sounds brand new again .

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Try tirerack.com. I get all my brake parts from there these days.

These are for a Charger R/T:

Hawk HPS pads: $76
Powerslot rotor: $142 x 2
Shipping: probably another $20-30

Given all the problems people are having with the factory parts, there's no WAY I'd buy them as replacements if I was changing my own brakes. If I was going to buy stuff from the local parts store, I'd probably stick with Raybestos pads/rotors, but I think the stuff above will perform better.

Best,

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I work at a car dealership as a Service Adviser and our brake jobs are $189.98
That includes Pads and Turning the rotors.
Hope that gives you an idea as to what to expect.

Regards
Chuck

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Mine don't make hardly any dust either, but are incredibly noisy. I'll definitely buy some other type of pad for my replacements.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I work at a car dealership as a Service Adviser and our brake jobs are $189.98
That includes Pads and Turning the rotors.
Hope that gives you an idea as to what to expect.
You guys mill rotors that are already known to be problematic? I think I'd pass on that. Getting it done cheaply isn't much of a bargain if it needs to be done more than once. :)

Given the frequency of complaints about the stock brakes on the non-SRTs, this is one repair/maintenance item I wouldn't use factory parts on.

And how does a dealer afford to do that job for $189? Given the cost of parts, that's a vanishingly low labor rate.

Best,

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
For those shopping at their local parts store, the Raybestos part numbers for brake pads are:

PGD1058C (ceramic)
PGD1058QS (ceramic "quiet stop")
PGD1149M (semi-metallic)

That's for 5.7L non-police applications. They don't appear to offer front rotors for the V8 applications yet, but the SE/SXT front rotors are available from Wagner (part#BD126263) and NAPA offers the following for the 5.7L:

High Performance Rotor
PR880256L (left front): $99.59
PR880256R (right front): $99.59

Premium Rotor
880256 (left and right): $61.49

I forget who makes NAPA's rotors, but I believe they are made in Canada. I had a set on my 300M and was quite happy (the OEMs pulsed after only 5k miles).

Best,

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I hear some folks complain about the rotors on the R/T, but honestly, I have not had one single issue yet. 18K miles. Still, I'm not going to bother turning them. Scrap bin they go.

Come brake pad replacement time, I'm opting for the slotted rotor variety and better pads that RitzRT mentions. I just buy one brake part a month to keep it cheap on me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts