Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been dealing Dodge dealers and was ready to place an order on a new challenger and they told me that if the MSRP goes up during the build of the car I would be responsible for the change. Does this sound legit to you? Has anyone else been told this when ordering a new challenger. Hope you can tell me soon as the incentives drop off today so I wanted to get it ordered before they close today?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Hell anything can change before you get that car. I wouldn't trust what a dealer tells me either way. He could decide to sell it for $2k over MSRP out from under you too....

Usually even the incentives are based on delivery and possession not on when you place an order. Read the fine print on incentives... they are for the cars on the lot and you take delivery by x date not order.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Technically, until the contract is satisfied (ie. you have the car and they have their money), it's just an agreement to purchase. There'll be wording that lets them out of the deal, just as you can walk away.

So here's how it works. When the car arrives, the price isn't what you agreed to - or less - you walk away. B'bye. Then they've got the expensive car on their lot ordered to your specification, which they need to sell.

Make sure you don't put down a deposit that's larger than you're prepared to part with over principle. Not every deposit is refundable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
WOW so your saying that they can sell a car you ordered to someone else if they want after you paid money down waited 2 months for it to arrive and signed the paper etc?
So this is a large dodge dealership and their price is pretty good, actually very good compared to most places that have a Scat Pack on the lot. How do you know if you can trust them? I have never ordered a new vehicle so any experience you all can share is appreiated. Has anyone here order a new car and had these problems or are most dealers ethical.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
You cannot trust any dealer, maybe some are OK but far too many would rip off their momma to make a sale.

When you bought the car did you get a POC showing the order and all the prices? That's the only way to know for sure they are shooting straight with you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
WOW so your saying that they can sell a car you ordered to someone else if they want after you paid money down waited 2 months for it to arrive and signed the paper etc?
So this is a large dodge dealership and their price is pretty good, actually very good compared to most places that have a Scat Pack on the lot. How do you know if you can trust them? I have never ordered a new vehicle so any experience you all can share is appreiated. Has anyone here order a new car and had these problems or are most dealers ethical.
Yes.

Dealers are not ethical, you should know that. They're a business in it to make money, not be your friend.

If they give you a higher price, walk away.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have not signed any paper work but was planning on doing it today. What is a POC?
I am in my upper 50's and have always purchased cars used from private parties because I hate to deal with dealer and their games. I figured if I ordered a new challenger it would be a lot easier and it has been up (all emails I stayed off their lots) until I learned of this new game where they can change the price. Another dealer I am working with tells me the price is set in stone and I am locked into the incentives even if they go down. If they go up (in the month of delivery) I will get the bonus money.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Of course they can. Same as you can have your financial situation change, and walk away from a car you've agreed to purchase, that they've ordered parts for, committed to assembly for, and spent their sales people's time on. That's just fair and logical.

So this is a large dodge dealership and their price is pretty good, actually very good compared to most places that have a Scat Pack on the lot. How do you know if you can trust them?
Trust doesn't come into the picture. I've already told you how to approach the situation. What you've got right now... imagine you're at the supermarket and you find a package of butter. There's no price tag, and you ask a clerk for help. The clerk tells you, "it should be a dollar." Thing is... until you get to the check-out counter, you've got nothing more than an understanding. The butter could be $0.10 and that's what you pay when it gets rung up. Or it could be $10 and that's what you'll pay. Or it could be recalled because it's got rat testicles in it, and you can't buy it. Or you could clue in and remember you're lactose intolerant.

Don't trust. Just relax. When you get to the check-out counter, you'll find out if the clerk was right. They usually are. And if they're not, and the price is different for any reason, you just decide today you don't need a thing of butter.

I have never ordered a new vehicle so any experience you all can share is appreiated. Has anyone here order a new car and had these problems or are most dealers ethical.
Again, ethical doesn't come into it. Almost every ordered vehicle is going to sell for the agreed-upon price. What you're describing with changing numbers isn't something that happens regularly. You asked if it could happen, and the answer is yes. But it's a bad business practice because in general, the price to the dealership from the factory will also not have changed. Dealers need predictability, and the price they pay is generally established at order-time.

I have not signed any paper work but was planning on doing it today. What is a POC?
Well, if you haven't signed any paperwork, how you can you expect that anyone is even remotely to be held to the terms of the agreement? Yes, a verbal contact is binding, but a car purchase has a lot of fine print and details. Stuff like taxes and delivery fees. That needs to all get written down, and agreed-upon. Otherwise you're all really just making stuff up. POC is priced order confirmation.

I am in my upper 50's and have always purchased cars used from private parties because I hate to deal with dealer and their games. I figured if I ordered a new challenger it would be a lot easier and it has been up (all emails I stayed off their lots) until I learned of this new game where they can change the price.
Meh. The only games are psychological. As long as you don't need to commit on a deal, the power is in your hands, all the way. As long as you're willing to walk away from a screw-job, you're golden. If anything, this is better than private sales because private individuals have no reputation to protect.

Another dealer I am working with tells me the price is set in stone and I am locked into the incentives even if they go down. If they go up (in the month of delivery) I will get the bonus money.
That is the usual experience, yes. Price stays the same, incentives are current or better. That's how it normally goes down, almost every single purchase. But... again... you asked, and legally, technically, until the deal is complete, it can be cancelled by either party. What can happen and what realistically will happen aren't the same thing. I mean, yeah, the person serving you an Egg McWhatever for breakfast could throw a puppy at you, but it's rare.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,046 Posts
Let me tell you something...
I have been ordering new cars for decades and never ever did I ever pay even sticker for any of them.
Ordering cars isn't something you need to pay for in advance. I can walk into my Dodge dealer , place an order or 2 for anything I want. Wait for it to come in and then decide if I want one of them.

My dealer will order anything you want but you don't have to buy it. Also never ever did they tell me that crap. Walk away from this dealership and tell them you will be dealing with another dealer for your purchase and mention this forum that you will expose their name and address for all of us to know.

That's the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. If my dealer even considered doing any of that to me, I'd be out as fast as I came in.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Hello everyone. I have been dealing Dodge dealers and was ready to place an order on a new challenger and they told me that if the MSRP goes up during the build of the car I would be responsible for the change. Does this sound legit to you? Has anyone else been told this when ordering a new challenger. Hope you can tell me soon as the incentives drop off today so I wanted to get it ordered before they close today?
YES, MSRP can change during the model year. Union contracts can impact MSRP, increased material cost from suppliers can affect MSRP. And yes, a MSRP increase that takes effect before or during the build, can and most likely will roll over to the purchase price before dealer discounts and rebates are applied.

Your salesman is simply giving you a heads up because there is a lot of instability in the new and used car markets right now. And that instability can affect car prices. He didn't say he was going to do a dealer mark up. And it would be easy to verify the MSRP in effect at the time of build so he has no motive to mislead you. It doesn't appear from your post that you even signed a MV Purchase Order so you don't even need to worry about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This seems like it could just be the dealer being honest with you, and all things considered with all the shortages and and the long build times, it wouldn’t be totally shocking for msrp to increase before it is delivered. (Or more likely just less available in incentives)

I can’t say for sure what others have signed but in the two purchase orders I signed, I negotiated a price and that is what is on the purchase order. However, both contained language that said the dealer (or I for that matter) can back out of the deal.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
When you make your deal you should work it off the POC.

This shows all the prices and options in both MSRP and dealer cost so they'll be no arguing about price later. Whatever deal you make have him handwrite it on the POC and sign it.

Now between when the car is ordered and it comes in there can absolutely be a price increase. Sometimes the dealer will just eat it but if he is already giving you a good deal and you can see it in on the POC, then I wouldn't have a problem paying for this increase.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you've ordered a car and put down payment only a shady dealer would sell it in you. You'd expect if the price goes up before it's delivered they would either stand by the price you agreed on or work with you if it's a significant difference. They probably only told you that so you would be prepared.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,953 Posts
I wonder if it decreased if he would tell you.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,046 Posts
I need to know where this is going on. If you live near me I would go with you and show you how to get the best deal. I don't play games with dealerships.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I experienced something like this from the "other end" point of view.

I had a limited budget, but I wanted a brand new car and I wanted Dodge.
The natural choice was a Caliber, with it's brutal look and unusual for Chrysler body type.

Stepped in dealership and after checking catalog and specs, put small downpayment and placed an order for simple base SXT.
The car supposedly was on the lot of some other dealer in the area, and should arrive in 7-10 days.
But for some reason this delayed, as per dealer "bad road conditions, other guy messed paperwork....blah blah blah".
Meanwhile, on their lot appearing brand new fully loaded SXT Plus, with the large sticker "Sold to happy customer".

Passed 1 week over my expected delivery date and I came to the dealer in order to cancel.
I insisted on cancellation, and was invited to the Manager.
The guy told me:
"Yes, we messed up with your order. We do not know where is your car. Do you THAT Caliber? The customer had some problem with payment". And pointed at that SXT Plus.
I told "Yes, but it's sticker price I not ready pay".

After 10 minutes of negotiation, we agreed on the price. They did all new paperwork, and evening next day I took that Caliber home.
Was very happy with it, had no issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check with your local District Attorney to see if there have been any fraud complaints filed against the dealer. Also check with The Better Business Bureau and any local news stations to see what they know (but if the dealer advertises with the local station I don't think I'd put much stock in their response.

cc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts