Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should i drain some of it, looks like they popped in 8 quarts of oil. I knew i should have done it myself but they were fixing the tranny o-ring and the coolant gunk problem.:knockout:

·
Registered
103 Posts
drain it

should i drain some of it, looks like they popped in 8 quarts of oil. I knew i should have done it myself but they were fixing the tranny o-ring and the coolant gunk problem.:knockout:
don't leave too much oil in the motor....drain a quart and check it....

that's only if it reads really full....after 1 quart do 1/2 a quart..and so on..

I would take the excess oil and bring it back to the dealer and ask them "what gives"...they could have FXXked the motor up..at least some seals!!

Z

·
Registered
628 Posts
You say they "charged" for 8...Did you check to see if the oil level was high? Our parts departments usually charge for more oil than is actually going in. There's multiple reasons for this, one of the "safer" reasons to give is that if the car needs an extra 1/4 or so, it's already billed...we do it on all cars, not just your SRT...So I wouldn't actually drain anything without checking first.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You say they "charged" for 8...Did you check to see if the oil level was high? Our parts departments usually charge for more oil than is actually going in. There's multiple reasons for this, one of the "safer" reasons to give is that if the car needs an extra 1/4 or so, it's already billed...we do it on all cars, not just your SRT...So I wouldn't actually drain anything without checking first.
okay, cool. dipstick reads just above the safe level.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yeah, I know when I do an oil change, they charge out anywhere between 7 1/2 and 8...parts people DO need to make a living, get me? But usually that's already accounted for within the set price you're paying. We rarely put anymore than 7 - 7 1/4

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
...Our parts departments usually charge for more oil than is actually going in...
Do they do this with other parts too, charge for more than what's going in?

...parts people DO need to make a living, get me? ...
By overcharging people?

... We rarely put anymore than 7 - 7 1/4
For the SRT8's, you should be putting in no more than 7 quarts, and charging for no more than 7 quarts.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Do they do this with other parts too, charge for more than what's going in?

By overcharging people?

For the SRT8's, you should be putting in no more than 7 quarts, and charging for no more than 7 quarts.
I don't make the rules...I just do the work, lol. With parts, there's already the mark up, you guys obviously don't get them at cost, at least not from the dealers.

And it isn't overcharging...think of it like this, lets say an SRT change is $90 where you live...regardless of whether they charge you 7 or 8, you're still supposed to pay that $90, however, they still make money off of the oil. Some of those prices are adjusted to account for the 8, which I why I said it's already accounted for. If you go to a Super Target, you don't pay cost for the product, you pay whatever mark up Target feels like putting on the item. If sure in whatever profession you do, that you do not give work or goods to people just to break even...you wouldn't survive.

We don't pay cost for a vehicle...well I do, but most people don't

When I do the oil change, I put in 7, and 7 alone. Seeing as I own one, I know what to expect. I cannot speak for other technicians though.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I had my first oil change done at a dealer thinking it would be a "no problems" type of experience, stopped in on a Saturday and about 1 and a half hour later I drove away just to check the oil at home to find it below the safe limit on the dipstick (I could barely see ANY oil on the dipstick) and they scratched my front bumper ... got on the phone right away and called them, ended up going back and they promised to take care of the bumper (I haven't had this done yet but this week or next I will) and they added oil to bring it in the right zone ...

Oh, and they charged me for 7 qts while originally only puttting in about 6.

I would think that a dealer would know exactly how much oil each engine takes, but apparently I was very lucky to have "the new lube kid" work on my new baby and later that day he put a truck on the lift that went up too far denting the roof ... good tech to have working on my car, huh ?

·
Registered
798 Posts
This is ironic. Yesterday I changed the oil/filter and rotated the tires on my Charger. I bought seven quarts of oil (Mobil One) and only used six so far. I checked the dipstick and it read full. Today, I'll probably take the car out for a spin and then re-check the oil level. I may have to add another quart once everything settles... But NOT two or three more.

This is why I maintenance my own cars. I won't let the Stealerships and (Non) Repair shops rip me off. They'll do anything for a buck.

For instance, I know of three local (Non) Repair Shops that pull engines and parts from cars at the local "Pull and Pay" (Junk Yard). Yet they tell and charge their customers for "New" parts. Then again, "new" has many different definitions. Me, I'd rather not take that chance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.