Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- I saw another "Dealer issues" thread, in the "General Discussion" section - and I just wanted to take a quick "Poll" / see what you guys think.

Dealer Experience (sorry for the "wordiness"/length):
- When I purchased my Charger, the dealer had to get the color I wanted from another dealer, which was fine.
- But, here's where the experience begins: On a Wednesday, I was told they secured a car from a dealer that was in the lower part of my state (PA) and that I could pick up the car that Friday at 4:30pm. So, I went to the dealer at 4:45pm on Friday and noticed the car, in a drive bay, where they were still "cleaning it up". So, I went inside to do the paperwork. The salesperson wanted to do the "walkaround" right away, so I told him it was still in the "drive bay" - we went out to look at the car, but I didn't look to long or too closely - because the bay floor was so slippery from the stuff they were spraying.

- anyhow, after all of the paperwork was finished, the car was outside and ready to go - at that point, the Salesperson notice a scratch on the passenger door - a small set of scratches about 1/2 by 1/2 inches - it looked like somebody scratched a few small lines in it with a metal comb or something. Anyhow, The salesperson said "Oh, we will get you some touch-up paint for that" - and that was it, he didn't run inside to get the paint. So, I told him that I would pick up the paint the next week.

- So, one week later I picked up the touch-up paint, but while I was there, I said to the salesperson, "what do you think, maybe you guys should touch it up" - he replied "what ever you want to do".
- So, while I was there, I noted to the salesperson that I wanted to "firm-up" my appointment for their "protection package" (paint coating, scotchgard of the fabric, and undercoating spray) to be done. I also restated their "deal" that I was supposed to get a rental car for the day. So, the Salesperson says "I'll take car of it".

- So, this evening - I dropped the car off at their service center, for the "protection package" - and the service guy did not have me as "scheduled" - so, he set me up for tomorrow - But, he noted they did not have any Rentals. So, I said that I would go talk to my "salesperson". So, I did, And the "salesperson" was caught of guard - he didn't even know why I was there - then when I told him, they scrambled to come up with a car (they had no rentals) - so my salesperson said - "Here, take my car" - just make sure you put back the gas that you use (he gave me their "dealer" car). (He also pushed the blame about the situation, onto another guy).

- Note: I let things go, more than most people - But, after 2.5 strikes, somebody is going to be out - meaning that, as I intended all along, my "experience" is going to be noted on the Chrysler survey. And - when I take the loaner back tomorrow, I'm going to make a few points to the Dealer's head manager, about improving customer service.

Anyhow, Would any of you guys or girls be really "Pi*sed" about all of this ?

Thank you in advance (and sorry for the length of my post, It's late and I'm not the best writer),

Brian T.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Aside from the dealership messing up on the appointment for the protection package, that most definately starts with the salesman that said he "would take care of it", unfortunately things like that happen. The salesman is happy he made the sale and then forgets to follow up on the little things that keep the customer happy (which is what the customer remembers the most). What he should have done was made the appointment while you were still there, or take you back with him to the service department to set it up and get the appointment made.

The big thing in my eye was about the scratch. They had the gall to say that they would get YOU some touch up paint so that YOU could fix it??? No freaking way!!! I would have been so ticked off and insisting that THEY would be fixing it. And depending on the scratch, they may be repainting a door! I thought you showed great restraint on that point. I would have been steaming! They should have had their detail guys out there seeing if they could rub it out, or at least get their expertise on it.

It just seems like the salesman wrote you off once he got your money and didn't care about the little things like I said earlier. Waiting for the Chrysler survey would be almost like waiting for the car itself!!

Anyway, that is my .02 cents worth. Have fun with you car, I hope to receive mine someday. :p

Tom.

·
Registered
203 Posts
DIY touch up paint on a new car? Screw that!
I haven't got my chrysler survey yet but got a couple of peeves I'll be sure to note. The salesman was great - It was just the sales mgr who was a pain with his b/s games and fuzzy math thrying to milk every dollar he could. Then the finance guy and his additional warranties (that they said can't be purchased later, must be done on the spot - what a hassle).

I love this car!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I hate dealerships.

I can honestly say, the only exceptional dealership experience I have ever had was a Volksawagon dealership, when I bought a "New Beetle" Turbo for the old lady (Actually, a lot of fun to drive).

Made an appointment for a test drive. Car was ready to test when we got there. It was lunchtime, salesman offered to order lunch for us with the lunch they were ordering. He called me a week later to make sure everything was OK. I was freakin surprised!

I have paid cash for my cars over the last 7 years and it isn't any better of an experience :fuming:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would have called B.S. on the deal right there as soon as I noticed a "comb-print" of scratches in the door. Touch-up paint has no place on a brand new car. The money you are paying the dealer is perfect - the brand new car you get in exchange should be as well. If it was me, and I was buying out of dealer stock, and not a factory order, and they had tried to push a car with scratches in the door on me, I would have called off the deal right there. Let them find another one that works to your satisfaction - there are enough of them in stock right now!

You definitely don't want to be putting touch-up paint on a new car. No matter how nice a job they do, you can never match it perfectly, to the color and the surface of the original paint. You will always notice it. A complete repaint of the door might solve it, but you'd need to have a very respectable paint shop to get you a perfect color match (some colors can be very difficult to match) and a finish with no runs, ripples, or fisheyes in the clearcoat.

·
Registered
253 Posts
BT1024 said:
- I saw another "Dealer issues" thread, in the "General Discussion" section - and I just wanted to take a quick "Poll" / see what you guys think.

Dealer Experience (sorry for the "wordiness"/length):
- When I purchased my Charger, the dealer had to get the color I wanted from another dealer, which was fine.
- But, here's where the experience begins: On a Wednesday, I was told they secured a car from a dealer that was in the lower part of my state (PA) and that I could pick up the car that Friday at 4:30pm. So, I went to the dealer at 4:45pm on Friday and noticed the car, in a drive bay, where they were still "cleaning it up". So, I went inside to do the paperwork. The salesperson wanted to do the "walkaround" right away, so I told him it was still in the "drive bay" - we went out to look at the car, but I didn't look to long or too closely - because the bay floor was so slippery from the stuff they were spraying.

- anyhow, after all of the paperwork was finished, the car was outside and ready to go - at that point, the Salesperson notice a scratch on the passenger door - a small set of scratches about 1/2 by 1/2 inches - it looked like somebody scratched a few small lines in it with a metal comb or something. Anyhow, The salesperson said "Oh, we will get you some touch-up paint for that" - and that was it, he didn't run inside to get the paint. So, I told him that I would pick up the paint the next week.

- So, one week later I picked up the touch-up paint, but while I was there, I said to the salesperson, "what do you think, maybe you guys should touch it up" - he replied "what ever you want to do".
- So, while I was there, I noted to the salesperson that I wanted to "firm-up" my appointment for their "protection package" (paint coating, scotchgard of the fabric, and undercoating spray) to be done. I also restated their "deal" that I was supposed to get a rental car for the day. So, the Salesperson says "I'll take car of it".

- So, this evening - I dropped the car off at their service center, for the "protection package" - and the service guy did not have me as "scheduled" - so, he set me up for tomorrow - But, he noted they did not have any Rentals. So, I said that I would go talk to my "salesperson". So, I did, And the "salesperson" was caught of guard - he didn't even know why I was there - then when I told him, they scrambled to come up with a car (they had no rentals) - so my salesperson said - "Here, take my car" - just make sure you put back the gas that you use (he gave me their "dealer" car). (He also pushed the blame about the situation, onto another guy).

- Note: I let things go, more than most people - But, after 2.5 strikes, somebody is going to be out - meaning that, as I intended all along, my "experience" is going to be noted on the Chrysler survey. And - when I take the loaner back tomorrow, I'm going to make a few points to the Dealer's head manager, about improving customer service.

Anyhow, Would any of you guys or girls be really "Pi*sed" about all of this ?

Thank you in advance (and sorry for the length of my post, It's late and I'm not the best writer),

Brian T.

OMG dude I am a saleman and I would have said that I would have fired myself (after I picked myself up off the floor from being knocked out) Thats total BS man. They made enough money to professionally fix it. I bet you money in a few months your saleman will NOT be their. By the way you will get a survey fill that baby out and send it in. But before you do ask to talk to the sales manager and see if he knows about it. You might be surprised he may not and may fix the problem and make it right (hopefully).

·
Registered
352 Posts
most saleman have not much to do with the deals its the closers that have the final say so. thats why i buy from fleet and get mine for 100 over invoice theres no bsing there.if a saleman or closer says he will sell u a car at invoice and wont show u the invoice then pack up and huffit down the road. every car i buy i get a copy of the invoices for my collection.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
FWIW, I have had good luck with having paint touch-up done on new cars. The clearcoat was cracked on the corner of the decklid of my Mustang, and the dealership re-sprayed just the corner, and you could never tell it had been done, even after 4 years and 80k miles. On my wife's station wagon, they re-sprayed part of the tail gate when it was new, and you still can't tell 5 years later.

It's not ideal, but if it's done right it should be fine.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I too am a salesman, and no way would I have offered you touch up paint on a brand new car,whether it be a Charger or a Neon! We would have had our body man do it,and he is very good too. Like someone said above,it's the little things people remember. That is so true. I have a large return customer base because I try to go out of my way to do little things for them.Sometimes my hands are tied by the boss,but I try for them. And if I don't do a follow up call a few days later,shame on me. I'm not saying I'm the best salesman there is,but I usually have a 98-100 customer satisfaction rate. That guy that gave you touch up , you should destroy his survey. Chances are, his bonuses depend on a good one.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
- I don't believe "you all" would be waiting around for an update:
- But, I had to call the Dealer today at 4:30 PM about picking up my car - and I found out that the service department took care of the small things I asked them to look at (of which was the TSB about the airconditioner).
- But, they noted the car never made it into the shop for the "Protection package" (paint coating, scotchguard the seats, undercoating). The Service rep told me that he really tried to get that job done today - But, because the salesperson failed to setup the appointment (as noted in my original post), they ran out of time. They told me I could pick up the car and schedule it for another Day. (I know it wasn't the service departments fault).

Anyhow, I showed up at the Dealer and ran into "my" salesperson - and he was real casual about it - he said "Bad news, well have to keep it another day for the Pro-pack".
SO, I told him that it's time that I had a talk with him and the sales manager.
"My" salesperson said the manager was out and decided to try and talk to me in the middle of the showroom.
So, unfortunately for him, I was really "Pis*ed" and I "laid" into him about the scratch in the paint and the "hey here's some touch-up paint" response he gave me, the botched scheduling, and about the failure to call me today to let me know that the car was not done, before I showed up at the dealer - and so on.
So, finally a Sales Manager intervened and the three of us had a talk. He offered me a 3 year/36K mile "Free" oil change plan and said they were sorry - But, I told him that I didn't want anything - All I wanted was the proper service up-front, without having to ask for it. Anyhow, they agreed to fix the scratch in the paint (to cleanup my touch-up job) and they gave me the free oil change plan for 3years.

So, I shall see tomorrow, how good of a job they do on the scratch in the paint. I'm crossing my fingers, because if there are anymore screw-ups, I will be even more "pis*ed".

Thank you all for your responses - and for taking the time to read through my "wordy" posts.
Brian T.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts