Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I've been reading a lot of the posts here for a while and have gotten some great info. I'm hoping someone could help me with a problem I'm having w/ the dealer i ordered my charger from. I ordered my charger rt in april. The dealership had a great price advertised in the paper, the incentive was that i finance through them. So. i put down my $100 deposit and they ordered my charger. I was going to trade in my car, but the sales guy told me I'd get more if i sold it privately, which i did. Well my car came in yesterday :) , but now the dealer wants to charge me an extra $1585 because their not making money on the advertised price and i'm not trading in my car. Does anyone know if i can fight this?
I'd appreciate any help,
Heather

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
do you have the deal between you and them in writting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have the order/agreement form w/ the price of the car (as advertised) from the dealership. They are telling me the incentive changed since i ordered it, and i need to have a trade in now.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
What is the advertised price in relation to sticker? Even at invoice, he's making money, just not as much. Usually, invoice with a few hundred on top is a great deal. Sticker is not bad, for anew model in demand. If he wants that money on top of sticker, walk.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hmmm, is the only difference the trade? If the agreement you signed has a certain amount for a trade, say you giving them the vehicle outright for a $1585 credit in the financing, that might be the key.

If your vehicle was worth more than that, say 3K, that would be whats throwing it.

If they had counted on making a $1500 dollar profit selling your trade, and now they can't, that would be why they are balking.

Kelly Blue Book invoice shows $27,733
Your price is .......................$27,695
Difference...........................$.....28.00

Now that alone makes it look like they are making very little. But there's holdback to figure. Holdback is a percentage of the cars price the maker "holds back" and pays on all sold units quarterly. Domestic makes (Dodge included) use %3. So next quarter, the dealer gets a check on your sale for $908 dollars

That's if holdback is based on sticker. a little less if it's based on invoice, I'm not sure on that.

So even on invoice, they are making $900ish profit. Personally, I would offer to split the difference, say $28,500. If they won't go for that, ask for your hundred back and walk.

Remember, these guys do have to make a living, and a reasonable profit is not a crime.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
No problem, good luck, and watch your back in the finance office, where they sell the protection package, the anittheft etching, the tire/wheel protection, popcorn. Those guys are the best salesguys they have, becuase that's where the highest profit margins are.

·
Registered
52 Posts
waitin2bcharged said:
I have the order/agreement form w/ the price of the car (as advertised) from the dealership. They are telling me the incentive changed since i ordered it, and i need to have a trade in now.
The incentive did change. Chrysler was offering a bonus rebate of $1000 to finance through them until the end of May. Effective June 1, it became a $1000 rebate if you financed through them and had any kind of trade (this is aside from the value of the trade itself).

Irregardless, if they burned the deal back in April, you should get the rebate in effect then if you want it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All of you have been so helpful. I went to another dealer in my area and they matched the advertised price of the first place, no trade in and i don't have to finance through them. I placed my new order (another 5 weeks uuuggghhhh), and got my $1000 deposit back from the first guy. I'll post pics when i get her.
thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts