Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting solenoid codes and multiple misfire code. Pulled solenoids to check condition. The ones that I removed look like the ones used in the older models up to 2009 I believe. But the wiring connectors work and looking at the later solenoids the connector orientation is different. Are they interchangeable? I know the later have a separate magnet and the early ones have a magnet connected to the solenoid. Pictures are of what I removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,721 Posts
No answer from me but am impressed you got them out in one piece because they are famous for snapping off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, someone has been there before myself. The solenoids look new and I believe the harness has been changed to accept the older solenoids. Sometimes dealing with these retired Sheriff cars can get interesting, due to repairs at the county barn :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
The connector in the picture looks like the older style connector.
The 2013 connector looks different.

Older MDS connector.
Pin-1 is control signal from PCM. Pin-2 is ground.
Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting Drawing

2013 MDS connector
Gesture Font Parallel Circle Rectangle

It's interesting that the 2013 VCT (variable cam timing) connector looks like the one in your pic. The VCT solenoid is on the same circuit as the MDS solenoids.
Font Parallel Transparency Communication Device Rectangle

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info...I really appreciate it!
I pulled the solenoids and harness. I can't believe someone went to the trouble of putting an early model harness and solenoids, but that what it seems.
I got to this point because lifter/cam problem. Was like that when I bought it, so maybe this was there troubleshooting technique?
I replaced the cam and lifters and was getting multiple misfire codes. Do you think this could have caused the codes? I ordered correct harness and solenoids...hoping correct ones solve my problem. Thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I replaced the cam and lifters and was getting multiple misfire codes. Do you think this could have caused the codes?
Normally MDS codes get logged when there's an MDS failure (P1411-P1417, P3400-P3497). The cylinder misfire codes (P0300-P0308) normally get logged when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects a variation in crankshaft speed, between each cylinder, has exceeded a calibrated value. The PCM uses the Crankshaft (CKP) and Camshaft (CMP) sensors to determine when an engine misfire event is occurring and determines individual misfire events by monitoring the crankshaft rotational speed.
I would go back through the cam and lifter installation to make sure everything is installed properly. Cam phaser, cam/crank sprocket alignment, timing marks/chain, tensioner, etc... are all correct. If the new cam required a cam phaser limiter kit, check it's installation too.
Check the rocker arms and pushrods. The longer pushrods are for the exhaust side and the shorter pushrods are for the intake side. Install the pushrods in the same order as removed. Install the rocker shaft assemblies in the same order as removed.
Due to the changes in the pushrod clearance holes in Eagle 5.7L cylinder heads (Eagle is 2009+ engines), close attention must be given when installing the pushrod(s) into the tappet(s). Once the pushrod(s) have been installed, use a light to look down through the pushrod hole(s). Verify the pushrod(s) are centered properly in the tappet(s). Recheck after the rocker shaft assembly has been installed and tightened to specification.
Do not rotate or crank the engine during or immediately after rocker arm installation. Allow the hydraulic roller tappets adequate time to bleed down (about five minutes).
If the cam and lifter installation checks out then the misfire can be anything from ignition coils, to spark plugs, injectors, wiring harness/connectors, etc...
A misfire is nothing more than a lack of combustion (or reduced combustion), which can be caused by poor fuel quality or metering, low compression, lack of spark, or unmetered air entering the engine.
Check the air intake manifold seals and replace if necessary. Using the sequence shown below, install the intake manifold retaining bolts and tighten to 9 ft. lbs.
Font Circle Auto part Engineering Drawing

For the rocker arms, tighten the rocker shaft bolts to 16 ft. lbs. using the sequence shown below.
Black Font Line Circle Pattern

1 - 6 of 6 Posts