Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....

I went ahead and de-molded my doors today while at work...

And I noticed a small problem... On both back doors it appears that the paint has bubbled under the moldings... Real small bubbles.... only in the middle of the 2 strips of double siding tape that were holding the moldings on...

I don't have a camera here with me at work, but I should be able to post some pics tomorrow...

Has anyone else ever had that problem?? And do you think it the dealer would fix it under warranty??

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
It sounds to me like a dealer warrantee issue with the paint, but without pics its hard to say. I would def call the dealer though and schedule a looksey

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Hey man...I had a bad paint problem on my Daytona when I removed the side moldings. It wasn't bubbled, but still had problems.

Luckily the dealer hooked me up when DCX Corporate wasn't willing to. You can read the gory details here:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19415

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just to let you guys know, Chrysler is in no way responsible or reqiured to fix any paint discrepencies that would not be visible on a stock car! Thus paint flaws behind the door moldings would not be covered by any warranty!

If your car comes without moldings, then its covered, but if you remove a trim part and have a problem, its zero covered.

All Chrysler has to cover is rust through, an we all know these imperfections are going to have no effect on that.

Now, having said that, you may get a dealer to work with you on it, and thats cool, but don't get upset if they don't cause they are not obligated.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
these issues is what is keeping me on the fence with de-molding. I want to but am afraid....is there a group to talk to about these fears?

lol

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I was scared when taking mine off, I never have good luck and any small mod I try to do usually turns into 2 hours of fustration or something severly wrong lol. Lucky for me THIS time around, there were no paint problems under my door moldings when i took them off, then again, its a pretty new car

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took some pictures...but they dont show the problem areas at all.... the bubbling is impossible to pick up on camera...

I'm bringing it in to the dealer on Thursday for other warranty work.... we'll see if i can get them to cover it....

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
Dont tell them you removed the moulding. Tell them you first noticed it during your first in depth detailing day!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just to let you guys know, Chrysler is in no way responsible or reqiured to fix any paint discrepencies that would not be visible on a stock car! Thus paint flaws behind the door moldings would not be covered by any warranty!

If your car comes without moldings, then its covered, but if you remove a trim part and have a problem, its zero covered.

All Chrysler has to cover is rust through, an we all know these imperfections are going to have no effect on that.

Now, having said that, you may get a dealer to work with you on it, and thats cool, but don't get upset if they don't cause they are not obligated.
It took a bunch of pic taking and time but they finally covered mine.

Rex

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
these issues is what is keeping me on the fence with de-molding. I want to but am afraid....is there a group to talk to about these fears?

lol
i had the same fears of demolding and no one in my area had demolded so curiosity got the best of me and finaly did it it took like 3 or 4 days of looking at my car before i liked it. at first i was thinking i messed up because thos did break up the apperance a bit after o took em off there was a lot of door and it look a lot taller but now am glad i did it and its so much nicer than cleaning out the wax build up out of the cracks:rockon:

·
Registered
65 Posts
So how many people have had problems demolding? I really want to but if many people had problems it kinda scares me to. My charger is black you think it would be easier or harder to tell if something was wrong? Just dont want anything to be messed up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who would have thought??

After 1 trip to the dealer...the dealer taking a couple pics.... I got the call last night from the dealership... D/C has approved the repainting of my door.

I'll drop it off tonight, and it should be ready by the weekend....

Wow!!! :)

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Who would have thought??

After 1 trip to the dealer...the dealer taking a couple pics.... I got the call last night from the dealership... D/C has approved the repainting of my door.

I'll drop it off tonight, and it should be ready by the weekend....

Wow!!! :)
Awesome! See? Dodge dealers kick @$$ my ford dealership, or the chevy dealer i worked at would DEFINATELY not cover ANYTHING like that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had this exact problem on mine.... here's the thread:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52797

I tried polishing them out with a buffer, tried claybar.... no luck with either method... Once I washed and waxed it, they aren't noticable from more than 3 feet away, but they are definitely there.

I haven't tried calling the dealer on it... I'm at 38,000 miles, so I doubt they would do anything for me.... also, my problem is on ALL 4 DOORS!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts