Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I de-molded my car today. It's a 2006, bought originally in 2005 so I knew there would be a difference in the paint but I read that after a few weeks it blends pretty well..

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/scotty2260/tn_IMG_2199.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/scotty2260/tn_IMG_2200.jpg

So I did it. And while I can barely notice the difference in paint color I do have som marks that looks like the outlines of the moldings.. Anyone else have this issue? I clay-barred and it didnt help at all..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Dude, I can't believe you demolded!

A friend of mine took his molding off last week, and left his car in the local supermarket parking lot, and a rouge shopping cart (probably caught by the wind) just effed his ess right up, check it out:

:biggrinjester:

Looks nice. Very clean. The molding stripes don't really seem as visible as I would have expected, except for the closeups. Sorry I can't offer any help for your situation.

The color difference is in the paint, understandable why clay didn't help. If you're super conscious about it and it makes you cry at night, you could always get a giant vinyl decal designed to cover it.

No, that's not molding. That's a vinyl molding decal replacement . Gives it the look of molding, but increases the aerodynamics. Yeah.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Ever had body work done on your car? Check out my thread ("Demolded; WHOOPS") to see why I'm asking. If the answer is no then it's probably left-over adhesive residue in the paint. If that is the case, then it will, for lack of a better term, "boil out" after it sees enough sun.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ever had body work done on your car? Check out my thread ("Demolded; WHOOPS") to see why I'm asking. If the answer is no then it's probably left-over adhesive residue in the paint. If that is the case, then it will, for lack of a better term, "boil out" after it sees enough sun.
No, I just got the car about a month ago. No damage was ever reported so I'm assuming no body work has been done, but you never know.

Ill give it a few weeks in the sun and see what happens. :)

It's really not a big deal because I plan on getting some vinyl work done but I'd like it to look nice until then.

·
Registered
629 Posts
if you take a little compound (like a megs 80 or menzerna super intensive polish) to it it should come right off. if you have a porter cable or flex, or know someone who does, this will take it right off. otherwise try heating the area with a heat gun or hair drier to try and loosen it a bit

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I demolded three months ago and had a similar result. Time, elbow grease and lots of sunshine have completely erased any signs of where the moldings were (see pic below, taken this past Saturday). Keep the faith brother, like most things in life - time heals all wounds!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I demolded three months ago and had a similar result. Time, elbow grease and lots of sunshine have completely erased any signs of where the moldings were (see pic below, taken this past Saturday). Keep the faith brother, like most things in life - time heals all wounds!

Haha thank you! Your paint looks great! Do you detail it yourself?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
To take off that extra stuff i had a friend buff it out. Came out almost instantly.
Looks great though one of my early mods and one of my favorite FREE mods

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Looks good....Too scared to do it myself....One day I will.

·
Registered
856 Posts
So I de-molded my car today. It's a 2006, bought originally in 2005 so I knew there would be a difference in the paint but I read that after a few weeks it blends pretty well..

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/scotty2260/tn_IMG_2199.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/scotty2260/tn_IMG_2200.jpg

So I did it. And while I can barely notice the difference in paint color I do have som marks that looks like the outlines of the moldings.. Anyone else have this issue? I clay-barred and it didnt help at all..

just keep washing it and leaving it out in the sun and it will all blend together soon. i have a gomango and demolded 3 years after i got it and you could see the difference in the color, after about 3 weeks all is good and cant tell at all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You've polished it so hard that on the last few pictures your car slowly started becoming transparent. I think I can see through it ... o_0

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Goo Gone or WD40, followed by dawn dishsoap, and some hot water to clean off, and then a wax will make that 100% fool proof and perfect.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Goo Gone or WD40, followed by dawn dishsoap, and some hot water to clean off, and then a wax will make that 100% fool proof and perfect.
x2 what he said. Looks like adhesive residue + dirt, grime, wax accumulated over the years. Goo Gone or WD40 and a gentle thumb nail will get it off, then wax er up and she'll be beaut-i-ful.....
My Mazda3 was the same way. It was just grime. Sore thumb, but that was the only negative outcome.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You've polished it so hard that on the last few pictures your car slowly started becoming transparent. I think I can see through it ... o_0
lol i just noticed that too. kinda cool looking

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Haha thank you! Your paint looks great! Do you detail it yourself?
Thanks Dude! Yeah, I do all of my cleaning and detailing. I combine many of Junkmans tips and tricks with a few of my own. That smooth surface is the result of clay bar, wax and copious amounts of elbow grease!!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
im extremely jealous :) i want to demold and debadge my car sooo bad. I just bought it about 4 months ago and i took off the dealer sticker from 3 yrs ago and i have waxed, clay bared and waxed again and i can still see where it was in the paint. That was about a month or two ago. I can barely see it but it makes me wonder if the car will look like that after demolded? :confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah that's why i kept the moldings. I figured if it doesnt match up after awhile ill just find whatever they used to attach them and put 'em back on

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
yeahh. let me know if it does, i might just get brave enough to try it :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Outstanding!! I'm still really nervous about doing this.

Also, what a great color on your Charger!!!

:rocker:Magnesium is # 1 !!!!!!:rocker:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts