Charger Forums banner

10161 - 10180 of 10474 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Hey guys!!! Im back. Getting ready to put #157 back together. Hope to start adding some knowledge to the site and some fun and important information as well

·
Super Moderator
11,466 Posts
Fuxking pissed off this morning. :mad:

Dude on local Mopar Facebook page posts he has a Mopar strut brace for sale yesterday. As I am asking him a couple questions he says "Someone is coming to get it tomorrow." I said "Damn, I should have typed faster; I really want one." So he says "I didn't promise him, I just told him if I still had it on Sunday he could buy it." So I said "I'm ready to come fetch it now." He says "I have to go out for a couple hours. I'll message you when I get back."

So I go to the bank and get the cash, sit here all afternoon waiting for him to message me. Nothing. Wake up this morning and pm him and it's gone. No message or anything.

What a facking wanker! :slap:

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Yes this is it.

Heeeeyyy Sonny?? So This is the place?? Ok I'll try and keep up with you young kids. Damn my hip hurts, must be when I took that GTO out to the show last week. No power brakes and a clutch car. Did I mention no power steering either? :driving:

Big John

Attachments

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
There is a new law here in New York State. It's about window tint. The tint that I had on my Charger will not pass the inspection rules. It states that the windows need to have 70% light pass through the four window doors. A fine of $150.00 is not good, so today I had the tint removed. The rear window I left alone because I have two side view mirrors which makes the rear window legal The price wasn't bad, just 40 bucks.

Big John

Attachments

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
There is a new law here in New York State. It's about window tint. The tint that I had on my Charger will not pass the inspection rules. It states that the windows need to have 70% light pass through the four window doors. A fine of $150.00 is not good, so today I had the tint removed. The rear window I left alone because I have two side view mirrors which makes the rear window legal The price wasn't bad, just 40 bucks.

Big John

That kinda sucks. You would think the new law would only apply to new tint applied and grandfather in older tent that was legal under the Old Law. But I guess the only way to prove when you had it put on would be if you had the receipt. So does that mean everybody with window tint less than 70% now has to run out and get it removed. That's a bunch of crap.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
This has to do with law enforcement. If the police stop you for a driving violation they want to be able to see you especially at night who might be inside a vehicle. I don't blame them. Their jobs are dangerous as is. If this will make it safer for them, well then off it comes.

Big John

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just roll down the windows in the presence of Johnny!!! Also got a guy who does my inspections. Not to mention all my pba cards in the event of any issues. Usually the professional courtesy works in that case , so long as I'm not breaking any real laws:)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Is this for all windows? I'm pretty sure many cars come with 50% tint from the factory! Does the rule allow for factory tinting, since it can't be removed? :eek:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is this for all windows? I'm pretty sure many cars come with 50% tint from the factory! Does the rule allow for factory tinting, since it can't be removed? :eek:
Good question!?!? My wife's Durango came with all rear tint!! Funny thing , when I brought it to get inspected randomly, they turned me down due to the tint. I sent my wife and her girlfriend back , low and behold, got an inspection!!! True story , pretty women get what they want!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
PRINT
Tinted windows
Can I have tinted windows on my vehicle?

Effective January 1st 2017, examination of tinted or shaded windows will be required during motor vehicle inspections. A video about this change is available on YouTube.

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark.

The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.

This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides.
The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

Rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window if the vehicle is classified as a
station wagon
sedan
hardtop
coupe
hatchback
convertible
A vehicle falls into one of these categories if it is labeled “Passenger Car” on the Federal ID label found on the left front door panel.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

NYS Health department regulations specify that only the following medical conditions may be used to justify an exemption from the limits on light transmittance. If you have one of the medical conditions below that require you to have tinted vehicle windows, you may request an exemption from the law using the Application for Tinted Window Exemption (MV-80W).

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Obviously State of NY once again failed to check any FACTS before passing yet another ridiculous law. Many, if not most cars made in the last 15 years or so came from the factory with dark-tinted rear side and back glass. Idiots.
What are people supposed to do, go get all their stock windows replaced?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
.... So does that mean everybody with window tint less than 70% now has to run out and get it removed. That's a bunch of crap.
Unfortunately, yeah they would. That would suck, especially if you had just gotten something darker put on that was previously legal.

This has to do with law enforcement. If the police stop you for a driving violation they want to be able to see you especially at night who might be inside a vehicle. I don't blame them. Their jobs are dangerous as is. If this will make it safer for them, well then off it comes.

Big John
We appreciate that understanding. Though to be completely fair, it's not entirely for our safety. Yes that's a part of it, but it also has to do with visibility while driving. Yes, you can usually see out of a car with tint easier than you can see in. However, there is a percentage of light being blocked which does mean there is some amount of view obstruction caused by the tint. People often say things like "I'll just roll down my windows if I need to see" but that's not always an option. What if you're driving down the road, it's a gloomy overcast day, and you don't see the kid on the bicycle that's about to cross an intersection you're about to go through? You don't know you need to roll down your window to see and I know people with dark tint aren't rolling them down every time they come to an intersection where cross traffic doesn't stop. Or what about a straight road when it's gray and gloomy outside? If someone is passing you and you can't see out the windows you could easily change lanes into them because you can't see them.
Yes, officer safety is a good reason to limit tint, but it's not the only reason. The obvious answer if tint laws were for us only, would be to require people to put down the windows if they get stopped and have tint. Problem solved, but it's not just for that alone, and when you're driving you won't always know you can't see something coming from the side that would require you to put down the windows to see it.

Front windows (and some windshields) are commonly manufactured with 70%~80% on most cars now. I don't think I've ever seen a car with anything darker from the factory. SUV's, and 4 door trucks often have darker back windows that usually test 20%~35%, but they legally fit NY's new law because they don't fall into the "passenger car" category. They are Sport Utility Vehicles, and Trucks. (See below from R/T Muscle)

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark.
Rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window if the vehicle is classified as a
station wagon
sedan
hardtop
coupe
hatchback
convertible
A vehicle falls into one of these categories if it is labeled “Passenger Car” on the Federal ID label found on the left front door panel.
Obviously State of NY once again failed to check any FACTS before passing yet another ridiculous law. Many, if not most cars made in the last 15 years or so came from the factory with dark-tinted rear side and back glass.....
Trucks and SUV's yes, cars not that I've seen. NY's new law still allows it on trucks and SUV's though, so the factory tint is still legal.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
This is what has me a bit perplexed. So it's fine if an SUV from the factory to have dark maybe 30% tint on the rear seat side glass and back window but it's not ok on cars. What's the difference? Are they able to see any better then a car with same tint? I never understood this.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I originally, from the beginning of this year when I got my inspection for the Charger thought that only the driver side and front passenger side was to apply to the new law for NY. When I had my tint removed the mechanic asked me "only the front windows"?? I told him No all four windows. He was the one who installed the tint 8 years ago, and it remained perfect until he removed it..

Big John

Attachments

10161 - 10180 of 10474 Posts