Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so in 2006 we got Top Bannan 4000, Go-Mango 4000, Tor-Red 200, and in 2007 we got Sublime 1500 and Plum Crazy 1400. Now in 2008 we are only seeing 1 color and I havent heard the number of them that will be built. But it looks interesting 3 colors then 2 colors now only one color. Do you think it has been planned this way?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Nah, I don't think they sold as well as they expected. Took a LONG time to get all the TB's sold, Tor-reds were available for a long time, and I don't think the Sublimes have gone all that quickly even with the lower quantities.

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
Do you think it has been planned this way?
This is pure speculation but perhaps:

1) It's a cost saving exercise (fewer unique parts = fewer SKUs = lower inventory costs). Each different colour of Daytona will require new SKUs for the coloured bezels, stitched seats, etc.

2) They might have realized that with 3 different colours each year, they'd run out of colours by the time the current model's production run ends. if you assume a 5 year production run, with 3 colours each year, then that's 15 unique Daytona colours to come up with.

Or maybe a combination of the above. Or maybe something competely different.

Personally, I love the Plum Crazy the best, but I'd remove all the stickers...

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
430 Posts
In my area there are 3 Daytona's for sale...one Sublime, one PlumCrazy, and one TB. Dunno the numbers...should stop and take a look sometime this weekend...

Being driven, there is 2 GMGs, 1 Tor-red, and that's all I've seen actually being driven.

·
Registered
430 Posts

-=FLEX=-

Just my opinion...but...what would be the point of having a numbered, limited-edition DAYTONA if you stripped it of the identifying markings? Why wouldn't you just get one of the PC SRT8s or just have a normal R/T painted that color? I think the decals is what sets it apart as being a "Daytona" and not just an R/T.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Whats the new color?
Its a cool blue color... Not sure if I like it or not...

Its on the website under build your own....

·
Registered
32 Posts
The local dodge dealer had 4 TB's on his lot for 6 months before I went in to buy one. They were fully loaded with sticker prices of $38000. They had 5000-6000 miles and were being sold as new(never titled). I go in May to buy and they had price of $28999 painted on windsheild. Price seemed reasonable at the time. When I sit down with salesman the price jumps to $31999. WTF!?
They wouldn't budge. Finally the sales manager comes over and after much discussion tells me if I bought the car that day and came back the next day to trade it in they could only give me $22,500 in trade. That's when I told them to have a nice life. I think they didn't want to sell them.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Ok so in 2006 we got Top Bannan 4000, Go-Mango 4000, Tor-Red 200, and in 2007 we got Sublime 1500 and Plum Crazy 1400. Now in 2008 we are only seeing 1 color and I havent heard the number of them that will be built. But it looks interesting 3 colors then 2 colors now only one color. Do you think it has been planned this way?
2006--3 colors
2007--2 colors
2008--1 color
2009-- No colors...now that would be nice of them to not make anymore Daytonas! I wish!

This is pure speculation but perhaps:

1) It's a cost saving exercise (fewer unique parts = fewer SKUs = lower inventory costs). Each different colour of Daytona will require new SKUs for the coloured bezels, stitched seats, etc.

2) They might have realized that with 3 different colours each year, they'd run out of colours by the time the current model's production run ends. if you assume a 5 year production run, with 3 colours each year, then that's 15 unique Daytona colours to come up with.

Or maybe a combination of the above. Or maybe something competely different.

-=FLEX=-
Hmmm...TorRed is not so unique to the Daytona edition Charger, as it is available on "regular" Chargers. Also, the Plum Crazy is on the SRT8s...but is not available on "regular" Chargers.

Concerning the 2 yellow Chargers...of which one I possess...is there a difference in color? Can I say that my TB is not the same color as the Bee? I certainly hope so...I like unique! The Bees are quite rare around here and I haven't been able to do a side comparison...

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
Just my opinion...but...what would be the point of having a numbered, limited-edition DAYTONA if you stripped it of the identifying markings? Why wouldn't you just get one of the PC SRT8s or just have a normal R/T painted that color? I think the decals is what sets it apart as being a "Daytona" and not just an R/T.
I just don't think the decals look good on the PC Daytonas...

The Daytona is not much more up here than an RT R&T (I think about $1,000) so that would be cheaper than buying an R/T R&T and painting it. And yes, a PC SRT8 would be ideal, but no way could I drive one in Canada during the winter and I can only afford one car and only have room in my driveway for 1 car, plus the SRTs are wayyy to expensive up here. Actually all the Chargers are.

It's all moot anyway, because I already have my Charger. But if the PC Daytonas were on the lots when I bought mine, I just might have bought one and peeled it, however crazy people think that might be.

Come to think of it, there's a SubLime owner in these forums that peeled his...I thought it looked good.

Oh, and you're right. The ONLY difference between a PC Daytona and my R&T is the colour and the decals. Which is why I sort of don't get what all the fuss is about on the Daytonas...

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Concerning the 2 yellow Chargers...of which one I possess...is there a difference in color? Can I say that my TB is not the same color as the Bee? I certainly hope so...I like unique! The Bees are quite rare around here and I haven't been able to do a side comparison...

Yes, the TB Daytona and the Bee's are different colors.

As for it being 3,2,1 - I doubt it as we have heard of Hemi Orange and some shade of blue for this year. Also, there are still other MOPAR colors that haven't been run (like Sassy Grass Green).

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just don't think the decals look good on the PC Daytonas...

The Daytona is not much more up here than an RT R&T (I think about $1,000) so that would be cheaper than buying an R/T R&T and painting it. And yes, a PC SRT8 would be ideal, but no way could I drive one in Canada during the winter and I can only afford one car and only have room in my driveway for 1 car, plus the SRTs are wayyy to expensive up here. Actually all the Chargers are.

It's all moot anyway, because I already have my Charger. But if the PC Daytonas were on the lots when I bought mine, I just might have bought one and peeled it, however crazy people think that might be.

Come to think of it, there's a SubLime owner in these forums that peeled his...I thought it looked good.

Oh, and you're right. The ONLY difference between a PC Daytona and my R&T is the colour and the decals. Which is why I sort of don't get what all the fuss is about on the Daytonas...

It adds an "old school" kinda feel to it and, to me, sports it up a little. I know it doesn't make it any faster, but I like the decals, personally. It's kinda like Cadillac, Lincoln, etc charging extra for the pearl-ish topcoat...some people just like having something a little different. It's like w/my GTO...all of the original ones around here are red or blue, and they're all hard top; mine's yellow and a convertible and has the tri-power 389, so it's different, it stands out in a crowd, and that's what I love and look for in a car.

I know it's all personal opinion, which is why I asked you why you'd want to remove them.

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
I know it's all personal opinion, which is why I asked you why you'd want to remove them.
Don't get me wrong. I like the Daytona's. But for me, as an every day driver, they're a little over the top. If It was a weekend car; for sure I'd get a Daytona. But I just don't see me driving to work every day in any of the skittles coloured Chargers, except MAYBE a PC, with the decals removed.

;-)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I actually appreciate a debadged and decaless car but, I think I'll keep the exterior as original as I can...besides they remind me of the early 70's when the Torino's had the prism stripes, the GTO Judges had their fender stripes, the 442's had their centerline stripes, the Trans Ams had the screaming chickens...its kinda hard to imagine someone buying an AAR 'Cuda (back then) and taking the fade stripes off the sides and the shield decal...just my opinion...

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
The local dodge dealer had 4 TB's on his lot for 6 months before I went in to buy one. They were fully loaded with sticker prices of $38000. They had 5000-6000 miles and were being sold as new(never titled). I go in May to buy and they had price of $28999 painted on windsheild. Price seemed reasonable at the time. When I sit down with salesman the price jumps to $31999. WTF!?
They wouldn't budge. Finally the sales manager comes over and after much discussion tells me if I bought the car that day and came back the next day to trade it in they could only give me $22,500 in trade. That's when I told them to have a nice life. I think they didn't want to sell them.
I almost bought a TB, and was willing to over pay, but the dealer got stupid greedy. They still had both several months later, when somebody bought one from another dealer for less then what I was offering. Life is good, I love the PC!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think they will have 2 colors in 08. They never let both colors out at once, only one. Like torred, they said but back then they never let out what the next color (sublime) would be.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts