Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the factory intake and exhaust packages on the Daytona model, is it worth switching out?

Thinking of a cold air intake and perhaps some exhaust mods merely for sound purposes.

Now the Daytona already gains about 10 hp bonus so the increase from a new intake is marginal is it not?

Same with the exhaust package, only real problem is the quietness of it. Was thinking of a few things short of buying a whole exhaust package like removing the mufflers for straight pipe or even a couple of cherry bombs.

But as i said, are any of these worth a performance boost?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I put the AFE stage II on my Daytona and I noticed a difference. I don't know that it's $200 difference, but my gas mileage went up, the sound improved at WOT and it feels like it has more power. Would it make $250 difference on a dyno? Probably not but I like it and I guess that's why you really do mods. Eventually I will do the exhaust, but I'll probably start with long tube headers, or shorties and hi-flow cats to get rid of the overly restrictive stock converters, then do a catback just for a better sound. It all comes down to doing what you like and what you want to do. CAI's and exhausts will make a difference in how the car runs, but don't look to get 50hp out of those type of mods.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i wouldnt get a "cai". if you go open up your daytona intake and take out the filter it is pretty clear that the stock airbox is a true cai, moreso than other aftermarket ones. I'd say put a k&n drop in filter in there and put on an exhaust. if u have some extra money then you could go for an aftermarket intake. the small benifit they do have is a filter with more surface area

·
Registered
928 Posts
The stock airbox is not a true CAI, once you take it out you will see that it still sucks air in from the engine bay. there is a gap between the inlet from the bumper and the airbox.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
If you like the exhaust tone and just want added volume, just lop off the muffler (big thing in the center, 2 pipes in 2 pipes out). As it is, the Daytona muffler is pretty much a pair of straight pipes in a big box with a small ring of vent holes midway.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I am not convinced that the daytona intake is even much better. If it is any better, it is probably only 1 rwhp.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just hacked up my daytona exhaust, resonators deleted. Not much louder unless you're on wot.

"10hp is from the exhaust not the intake" - brampton assembly plant manager

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
its from both together.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have an R/T with R&T so it is the same setup as the daytona and I am not going to change my intake or my exhaust. I dont think there will be enough of a gain to justify the money. But however I do want a meaner sound so I am going to go with the E-cutouts. Loud when I want it to be, and quite with no drone when I want it to be.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I have an R/T with R&T so it is the same setup as the daytona
Not quite.

Regular R/T: muffler supposeldly has 2 180-degree bends (with perforations?).

R&T muffler: straight through with perforations all along the length.

Daytona muffler: straight through with only a thin ring of perforations.

Search the site, there's a thread with photos showing the differences.

It appears to be enough of a difference such that R&T owners don't appear to hear MDS, yet I never had any difficulty hearing MDS kick in on my Daytona.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Gains..... not enough to mention.
Sound? Worth every cent when you put your foot into it.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
"10hp is from the exhaust not the intake" - brampton assembly plant manager
Brampton assembly plant manager probably wasn't involved in the design of the R&T setup, so I'd probably take his comments with a certain grain of salt. Nonetheless, there's probably a bit of power there from not having to make 2 180-degree bends inside the suitcase.

If the different suitcase is the only source of the 10 hp, removing the resonators should give close to another 10 hp because of the 180 degree bends there as well... maybe not 10 (because the exhaust is probably considerably cooler at that point) but something noticeable on a dyno?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
are you serious? i was like 99.78943% sure that r&t and fdaytona are the same....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts