Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the top speed attainable in the 2007 Daytona and/or R&T?

Also, is it governed? (I assume it is because of the engine controller.)

My apologies in advance if this has been asked/answered before, but I did a search and couldn't find it.

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
They will ALWAYS be governed, and would imagine Top speed based on the gov will be the same (can change it with a tuner) but 127/128 R/T and I think 143 for the Daytona. It's all based on the tires, the cars themselves CAN reach 150's+

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will ALWAYS be governed, and would imagine Top speed based on the gov will be the same (can change it with a tuner) but 127/128 R/T and I think 143 for the Daytona. It's all based on the tires, the cars themselves CAN reach 150's+
Thanks. 143mph is surprising to me. My very first *new* car was a 1988 5.0L Mustang, and it had a top speed of 148mph, with only 225 horses under the hood...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
the daytona and the rt w. r/t is governed at 148. it has to do with the safety rating of the tires. normal rt is 128.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
ive gotten my r/t with road and track(a daytona without the paint/decals) up to liek 142 before i was comin up on a red light on the feeder road. my tires are gettin worn down so i dont drive it like that anymore. once i replace em with some new tires(soon) and raise my speedo with my predator ill give you some numbers on what it can do some time ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
ive gotten my r/t with road and track(a daytona without the paint/decals) up to liek 142 before i was comin up on a red light on the feeder road. my tires are gettin worn down so i dont drive it like that anymore. once i replace em with some new tires(soon) and raise my speedo with my predator ill give you some numbers on what it can do some time ;)

2007 PC Daytona Speedometer tops at 160 have not gone that fast maybe 100 max so far!

·
Registered
253 Posts
So how much distance did you cover before you hit 140?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
2007 PC Daytona Speedometer tops at 160 have not gone that fast maybe 100 max so far!

Right, but speedo max is never really an indication of what the car can do, its usually a mix of marketing and making sure theres a cushion over the real max, so that yoo cant bury the needle. These days anyway:)

Funny story, back in the early 80s, (maybe even the late 70s, but I'm not sure of that) the safety ninnies got almost all makers to make speedos top out at 85, regardless of the cars actual top end. Thought was that if you couldnt measure it, you wouldnt do it:)

The 1985-1987 Shelby Chargers, it was like that, 85 max indicated, even though the car could do 125. They left those be, so you could go way past max, straight down:)

But evidently, that stuff annoyed Shelby, who, when he made the GLHS.s, with his name as the maker, did something about it. Look at the pic below, see how it gets darker after 85? Thats a sticker:) Even so, he ran outta room, the cars could do 134:)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
So how much distance did you cover before you hit 140?
maybe half a mile, maybe a bit more. ill get an accurate number as its a nice stretch of wide open feeder with no where to turn on to it from side streets, so its safe(yes i do have SOME safety in mind), right by my office.

you also have to bare in mind taht im also including stopping distance :p now that i think about it, its probly slightly over a half mile including all that.

the hard part is that you hit this wall of wind at liek 120-125 and its not bad til about 130, getting to 140 from 130 takes the same ammount of time as like 105-125, maybe longer.

if im feeling gutsy ill try and take a uh... reading... today, but my tires are wearing low and i needa have my oil changed so i dono

ill get back to you after lunch ;)

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Trying to remember what year my T/A was. think it 1984, and it had one of those stupid speedometers. I put in a digital speedo. Had it near 140, when I blew out a trans seal. Boy that that make a lot of smoke!

·
Registered
453 Posts
the fastest ive gone is 230km/h about 243mph

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the fastest ive gone is 230km/h about 243mph
I think you mean 143 mph

I did that in my 1990 Corvette about 15 years ago. Wrecked a few minutes later, so I've never dared go that fast again. :(

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Thanks. 143mph is surprising to me. My very first *new* car was a 1988 5.0L Mustang, and it had a top speed of 148mph, with only 225 horses under the hood...
Didn't you just love how light the front end got over 140mph?

downright scary

or how about rear drum brakes trying to haul you down?

those were the good/bad ole days

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
OK! i just did a test run. the light to light distance is 1.2 miles, and i didnt use all of it for breaking or accelerating, made sure the coast was clear enough and a few times i let off the gas for a second to make sure i had clearance to pass 2 seperate cars.

i got her up to 142 before letting off at the sight of an ambulance in front of me and thinkin they have radios and such :p

took me about .9 maybe 1.0 miles including time going up to the limit and make sure the path was clear. id say on a straight away i could do 140 in .8 miles.(this is going based on the odometer thingy)

slighty over my prediction.

food for thought :)

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Didn't you just love how light the front end got over 140mph?

downright scary

or how about rear drum brakes trying to haul you down?

those were the good/bad ole days
For sure the rear drum brakes on that car were a freaking joke. It was such a fun car, though. I loved it. :)

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Try a 71 charger at 140 and attempt to stop within 2 blocks. Blew through the red light at about 40 mph. Big pedal did absolutely nothing at that point. My house 1/2 mile later required me to just put it in park and wait for the pin to drop.

Boy did that 450-475 hp going through 4.11 rear end made for some really nice marks in the street tho. Literally only 5-6 inches that wasn't black when the car shifted from 1st to 2nd.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Got to love the 5.0 GT. Full bolt ons could be done for less than 2k. 4.10 rear and advance the timing to 14 degrees, you have a sweet little hot rod.

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got to love the 5.0 GT. Full bolt ons could be done for less than 2k. 4.10 rear and advance the timing to 14 degrees, you have a sweet little hot rod.
Mine was the lowly 5.0L LX, not the GT. 3.08 rear end. We had big plans for that car, but then the baby came along, and well...that all went out the window...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts