Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the Daytona grille soon, and was wondering if anyone had any advice for installing it. It's not just the honeycomb insert; I've seen that they're a pain in the ass to put in. It's the whole flat black grille, with the honeycomb insert and RT badge. I was hoping maybe replacing the whole thing would be easier on the knuckles than just putting in the insert. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Easy yet tough. Technically its a snap, but its a beeeeatch to reach a couple of screws.
Its been quite a while since I swapped mine, but here's what I remember.
Remove the two black plastic radiator covers that surround the hood latch receptacle.
There are two screws on the indise of the verticle portion of the grill cross hairs...remove em
The other two screws are the tough ones to get at. They are located on the far ends of the horizontal cross hair.
Once you get those off, you basically just need to snap out the grill.
Once those screws are out, all you have ledt is clips that hold the unit in place.
Get yourself a stubby philips screwdriver..Those ones where the whole thing is like 2 inches or so long.
Another option is a 90 degree small ratcheting screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Hard to see, but you can kinda see where the screw holes and where the grill clips in

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Same process wether your changing out just the insert or the whole thing, sorry man!! Really isnt that bad, YOU WILL NEED A COUPLE BEERS:)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm getting the Daytona grille soon, and was wondering if anyone had any advice for installing it. It's not just the honeycomb insert; I've seen that they're a pain in the ass to put in. It's the whole flat black grille, with the honeycomb insert and RT badge. I was hoping maybe replacing the whole thing would be easier on the knuckles than just putting in the insert. Anyone have any experience with this?
The install is the same whether you are doing just the insert or the entire grill....the crosshair needs to come out in both cases. Get a small ratcheting screwdriver with a phillips bit. After the install I didn't replace the 2 side screws. My hands are big and I had enough scars from getting them out.

If you search "honeycomb" there are tons of threads about this install. have fun:lol:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The install is the same whether you are doing just the insert or the entire grill....the crosshair needs to come out in both cases. Get a small ratcheting screwdriver with a phillips bit. After the install I didn't replace the 2 side screws. My hands are big and I had enough scars from getting them out.

If you search "honeycomb" there are tons of threads about this install. have fun:lol:
I was thinking about not putting the side screws back in but I did and it was actually a lot easier putting them back in then it was getting them out...:)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I was thinking about not putting the side screws back in but I did and it was actually a lot easier putting them back in then it was getting them out...:)
I could barely fit my hand in there, let alone holding a screw. Luckily my grill hasn't fallen out yet:grin:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I could barely fit my hand in there, let alone holding a screw. Luckily my grill hasn't fallen out yet:grin:
I was thinking when I pulled mine out that with the 4 snaps holding the grille in along with the 4 screws that the thing was VERY secure, I dont think yours will go anywhere even if the 2 did not get put back in there:grin:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks everyone! I had a bad feeling it would be about the same install, but I was trying to be a glass-half-full guy.

I just ordered it today (Mopar Supercenter, of course), so I won't get it until next week, but I'll let everyone know how it worked out.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow, thanks everyone! I had a bad feeling it would be about the same install, but I was trying to be a glass-half-full guy.

I just ordered it today (Mopar Supercenter, of course), so I won't get it until next week, but I'll let everyone know how it worked out.
Make sure you have a good supply of band-aids on hand:lol:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make sure you have a good supply of band-aids on hand:lol:
I'll borrow some of my daughter's SpongeBob band-aids.

Will have to remember to get a tube of Neosporin...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the grill yesterday, along with my Mopar CAI (I just ordered these on Friday; I love Mopar Supercenter!), and put them both in last night. My knuckles are okay, it's my forearms that got ripped up a little.

I have to thank everyone on here for all the instructions and tips I was able to pretty easily find on here. I love this place, even if it does make me spend all my money!

Btw, I'll get pics up as soon as I get a chance to properly bathe the beast. The black grill looks great on this color (magnesium); the chrome always seemed out of place to me. Now I need a custom Billet Tech hood emblem to get rid of what little chrome is left up there! Ah, more $$ alotted to the mods fund.

As a p.s. I should mention that I love the Mopar CAI, too. For me, it really came down to which one looks best, and I had to go with the Mopar on that. I love the growl at WOT! Talk about sh**-eating grins! I went for a little test drive last night at about 11:00, and you couldn't smack the smile off my face!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Got the grill yesterday, along with my Mopar CAI (I just ordered these on Friday; I love Mopar Supercenter!), and put them both in last night. My knuckles are okay, it's my forearms that got ripped up a little.

I have to thank everyone on here for all the instructions and tips I was able to pretty easily find on here. I love this place, even if it does make me spend all my money!

Btw, I'll get pics up as soon as I get a chance to properly bathe the beast. The black grill looks great on this color (magnesium); the chrome always seemed out of place to me. Now I need a custom Billet Tech hood emblem to get rid of what little chrome is left up there! Ah, more $$ alotted to the mods fund.

As a p.s. I should mention that I love the Mopar CAI, too. For me, it really came down to which one looks best, and I had to go with the Mopar on that. I love the growl at WOT! Talk about sh**-eating grins! I went for a little test drive last night at about 11:00, and you couldn't smack the smile off my face!
I just did the same last night. I started at about 10 pm and didn't finish with the CAI and honeycomb grille insert til about 4 in the morning. I have never really worked on cars before so it was a bit of learning process. As for the grille insert, my knuckles are MESSED UP!!! Good LORD!! Luckily it was a bit chilly last night and that forced me to wear a long sleeve shirt. My forearms would've been screwed. The hardest part was just fitting my hands in there to get the two side screws out. I never did put them back in. When I saw there were those black "clips" I guess is what you call them, on the top and botom of the grille, I felt it was pretty secure with those and the two vetical screws.

The CAI was pretty fun actually to install. I never really did any work on a car before other than oil changes, so it was fun to start learning. I took my time. I ran into a few road blocks however. Firstly, I dropped my socket wrench into the car and it took me about an hour to get the damn thing out. Then, just when I was near the end, I was installing that 2" long rubber spacer with the screws on both ends. I tightened it a bit too hard and it snapped so that took me about another hour to rig something up McGyver style. It still fits nice and snug and I ordered that part so no worries. But once I was done, i was BEAT!! But that still didn't stop me from giving my hard work a test drive. I couldn't get the smiles off my face man.

Just one quesstion....is that sharp hissing/pinging sort of noise normal? Is that just the air coming out of the filter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts