Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have a 2007 Sublime Lime Daytona. It's sounding pretty good now that it has almost 12k miles on it (love that 1st gear roar).

What parts on the Daytona Exhaust System do you think can be improved?

Mostly I wonder if all the money I would spend on Zoomers would be better off spending better elsewhere.

Maybe just certain parts of the Daytona Exhaust are 'inferior' and could be swapped out to save cash. I've heard that the mufflers are heavy and ugly in another thread.. what would be the alternative?

I don't know, but I definitely would like to replace the exhaust tips (a fashion item) since the originals aren't rolled and look pretty plain.

What the concensus?,

Steve

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
blycream that shi* and call me in the morning

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I cut out my stock muffler, installed Dynomax mufflers, then dumped the resonators and installed nice long rolled tips.

Total cost installed was less than $200.

Sounds great. A bit of an annoying drone at 2250-3000 rpm, but nothing I can't live with!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
exhaust

the suite case muffler flows just fine on the daytona/it's a straight threw design. the problem is the reso's-they are not a straight threw set up-they have 2 half moon curves in the design-the exhaust enters the reso makes it threw the first bend then flows around inside the reso were it has to find it own way out threw the 2nd bend and out the exhaust tip. very restrictive and doesnt flow well-BUT theres a quick fix for this with out breaking the bank and making the exhaust have the drone. BLASTIN BOB'S MAKES A REPLACEMENT RESO THAT IS A STRIAGHT THREW DESIGN and you can choose between a 6 or 8db kit-with thes reso replacement you will gain flow and a little increse in the sound of the exhaust with out the dreaded drone. it will flow just like any exhaust cat back system out there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I cut out my stock muffler, installed Dynomax mufflers, then dumped the resonators and installed nice long rolled tips.

Sounds great. A bit of an annoying drone at 2250-3000 rpm, but nothing I can't live with!
How much weight do you think you lose by removing the resonators?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
the suitcase i think is upwards of 30 lbs. and each resonator is around 20.

every bit counts ;) and thats like having half a person taken outta your car!

if you really want to make a difference tho, take out the spare and the jack too.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
How much weight do you think you lose by removing the resonators?
The stock resonators weigh 16 pounds each. So 32 pounds.

The stock muffler weighs around 40 lbs or so...depending on who you ask. I don't know if anyone has actually put one on a scale.

New mufflers weighed around 10 lbs combined.

So I lost something around 60lbs.

Not a lot on the grand scheme of things, but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I swapped my Daytona exhaust for the MagnaFlow catback. Weighed about 50 lbs less. Felt only a slight improvement in performance, but definately looks and sounds better. Here's a pic of the stock Daytona exhaust alongside the MagnaFlow before I installed them.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
It certainly adds up. with the jack and spare removed. Wonder how much is too much though? Otherwise if removing the back seat and everything else mentioned above, will the car become unlaunchable at the track.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Exhaust tone is a personal thing. Some like the rasp, some prefer a muted roar, some like a rounder sound...

There is a WORLD of difference between the Magnaflow system and a stock Daytona's tone. Some prefer it, some don't. Exhaust rarely adds sound, it usually just shapes out the frequencies you don't want to hear, so consider the magnaflow like a mute on the frequencies that promote the raspy sound in a Hemi's exhaust tone.

The stock Daytona system (with it's "keep it straight through, but don't muffle it as much" approach) delivers a certain rasp by nature. Removing the suitcase amplifies the whole range of tones, so if you had a muted rasp before, you'll get it slightly louder. There is a bit of extra low-end volume to the tone, but it's mostly the midrange that gets a bit of extra bark.

Between the "Brylcreem" mod and the Magnaflow, I'd say the Brylcreem delivers a bit more bark. A bit more "Nascar"ish. And with the resos in place, no drone.

So think of the Brylcreem as the option for those who like the Daytona's stock exhaust sound, but want it louder and a bit "fuller". For those who don't like the Daytona's basic tone, Brylcreem is definitely not for you.

·
Registered
619 Posts
cut off the resonators and replace them with a kit from blastin' bobs. the original resonators weigh a/b 50 lbs and the blastin bob's ones only weigh 7.5 lbs a peice... plus they sound great!!

http://www.shop.alliedmuffler.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=30

no drone, quiet when you want it to be, but get on it and everyone around you will definitely be turning their heads. lol. i love it!!

here are some vids/pics

start up:

floor it:

:rockon:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update: After a long mulling-over of my mod budget I finally made my choice...

I'm going with the Blastin' Bobs 6db resonators w/ SSR tips. They look great and hopefully (long-term) I won't get much drone.

Other mods I just ordered to go with this one:

[first 3 items are the PPP 'Stage 1' deal]

- C&L CAI for 5.7
- Diablo Predator (w/cables)
- 180 degree thermostat
- JBA shorty headers
- JBA high-flow cats & midpipes

I can install the Cold Air Intake and thermostat myself, but I'll have the rest installed and dyno-tuned at my local performance shop (just better remember to save my 'stock' settings before messing with the Predator).

Long-Term mod planned: Full 392 short-block w/ Stage 3 heads and track cam from PPP :). Wonder if I'll have to go to 3-inch pipes to support the extra flow?!!!:confused:

·
Registered
584 Posts
The answer you are looking for is HI FLO CATS! 10 more HP and more sound, for a reason. Blastin' Bob's are nice and sound good, but they won't improve performance much if at all.

·
Registered
425 Posts

That sounds like the best bang for the buck if you ask me...

·
Registered
458 Posts
So think of the Brylcreem as the option for those who like the Daytona's stock exhaust sound, but want it louder and a bit "fuller". For those who don't like the Daytona's basic tone, Brylcreem is definitely not for you.
Very true and I love the sound of my creemed daytona

·
Registered
458 Posts
The answer you are looking for is HI FLO CATS! 10 more HP and more sound, for a reason. Blastin' Bob's are nice and sound good, but they won't improve performance much if at all.
Didn't someone post they actually loss horsepower with buying hi-flos?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Didn't someone post they actually loss horsepower with buying hi-flos?
I didn't see that, but just because it was posted, it doesn't mean it is true.

Mine definitely got louder and felt more responsive with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts