Charger Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Take it as a lesson learned, never repair a flat at roadside.

Ive chosen to destroy a tire on two separate occasions to avoid getting rear ended. Much better off limping to a parking lot and accepting the tire loss.
100% agree here. I just saw on the news this morning that a row truck driver, I believe in Milwaukee, was seriously injured while he was parked along side the road and smashed into by a semi that was speeding in the rain. Changing a flat tire on heavily travelled roads is extremely dangerous.

I dislike run flat tires for my Charger, but for my wife's car I'll gladly spend double on RFT's to know that if she gets a flat she can keep going.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That just breaks my heart. I hope they catch the guilty party and make them pay. Now you know why a lot of Police Officers get hurt during traffic stops. Always be very careful when you have to pull over; especially in dark or narrow roads.

·
Registered
694 Posts
OMG I would lose my F***kin mind. For future reference I would buy an $85 Roav dashcam. It is what I use and would have started recording after impact. It would have allowed ID of the individual. GD people texting and driving most likely.
Which model Roav do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Not wanting to stray from the original topic of this thread, but it's a fact that roughly 50K people a year are killed in vehicle related incidents in the USA. That figure includes any death involving an automobile on a public roadway.
I spent 25 years in law enforcement, and my semi retirement job is driver's ed. The 50K number is a bit mind numbing, so break that down into 135 people every 24 hours, and then to 6 people an hour. I remind my students that in the typical 2 hour lesson, 12 people (on average) will die. These deaths along and on the roadway are easily prevented by remaining aware of ones surroundings, and at times not stopping to get out and look until you are in a safe place to do so. Police, fire, EMS, and other safety personnel put themselves at great risk every time they step out of their vehicle to come help us, and do their job. I cringe and shake my head when I see drivers racing down the road in their own little world texting, eating, putting on makeup, etc as they fail to slow down for such emergency scenes.

It is for these reasons I advise my students to get to a safe area before they stop, get out, and assess the problem.
About 2 years ago in our county here, a group of high school girls had a flat tire. The young driver made the choice to pull over in a bad area, got out to check, and was immediately struck and killed by a car that could not avoid her.
I can't begin to imagine how hard it was when the police, coroner, and chaplain went to that home, and notified the parents. Thankfully, I've never had to do that, but know co-workers who have. It's a no win situation, and no one wants any part of it.

Don

21 - 26 of 26 Posts