Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Uncle and I have matching Daytona’s (except colors)
Last week his was banged up pretty good in a hit and run.
From what I understood from the situation was he had pulled over because of a flat tire on some road
He didn’t have any fix a flat or anything to fix it at the time so he walked to a nearby gas station to get some. When he came back he found his car like this:
IMG_2120.JPG
IMG_2121.JPG
IMG_2123.JPG
IMG_2122.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG

So the car was hit from the drivers rear quarter and was swiped through the length of the car. The impact pushed the car into the guard rail and damaged the passenger rear quarter panel also. It also looked like the wheels are off axis so the axle is probably bent. The tow truck driver told him there looked like frame damage to top it off.
It maybe salvageable, but he does not want it cause he doesn’t want to have to deal with potential problems in the future... he was told it is about 11k in damages and that’s not including the airbags which were deployed and the possibility of frame damage. (If your curious about the airbags, before he left he put the car in ACC to charge his phone when we walked to the store, so the airbags deployed thinking someone was inside )
This thing only had about 17k miles, hopefully it’s totaled and he can get another, and someone can get a low mileage salvage track car from auction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Very sorry to see this, but happy your uncle was away from the car and not hurt. It looks like it got clipped by a semi. Good luck with getting this resolved, I hope he can get a new car.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
That looks bad, way more damage than $11K: my 2013 took a hit to the trunk and it was $12K--they totaled it since it was worth $14K (see pic) They may fix it since the car is worth $40K and the damage isn't 80% of the value, but the air bags being deployed makes that questionable.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks bad, way more damage than $11K: my 2013 took a hit to the trunk and it was $12K--they totaled it since it was worth $14K (see pic) They may fix it since the car is worth $40K and the damage isn't 80% of the value, but the air bags being deployed makes that questionable.
Yeah with the airbags and the possibility of frame damage (still don’t know yet) we are hoping they total it out. The 11k was just for the body damage, not including the axles or possible frame damage.
He is still waiting on the official appraisal. The 11k was an estimate from the body shop after doing a quick walk around, nothing in depth.

He wants a HC so I got my fingers crossed he is able to get it totaled and can start fresh.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Wtf?! I HATE assholes who hit and run. Take responsibility!!! So sorry that happened but like someone else mentioned. He is lucky he was not near the vehicle when it happened.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Roberts:
As mentioned, thankfully your uncle was not in the car when this occurred. This is a prime and sad example of why I would never leave a car on the roadside if it was driveable. I would flip the hazards on, and drive (slowly of course) until I could get to a driveway/parking lot/off ramp, etc. These days, it's far too dangerous to be on the roadside, work on your car there, or leave a car you like there. Continuing to drive might ruin the tire and wheel if you are not careful, but I would take that over this any day.

Don

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wow man. That sucks hard. As others have said, it's a good thing no one was injured.

This kinda reminds me of a guy I used to work with. He bought a new car and was just making the payments. (read that as "at the limit" of his budget) Anyway, he ran out of gas one night after work and had to leave it at the side of the road while he walked back into town for a gas can. When he got back to it, someone had ran into it and totaled it. Unfortunately, it wasn't insured yet. (I know, right?) So he had no choice but to take out another loan to repair the damage, but it had to be one of those "high risk - high interest - long, long term" loans. He ended up having to pay quite a lot of money for that car. And it wasn't even a "cool car" kind of car. I'm thinking it was a Buick mid-sized sedan or something. (Late 80s, early 90s?) This kid was the poster child for bad luck, or more like "bad decisions".

·
Registered
885 Posts
People that do shit like that should be executed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Car looks like its sitting level. What tire was flat?

Hate to see the damage but glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I'd drive on a flat if there was no safe place to get completely off the road to try the factory sealer and tire pump which should be in every car without a spare.

Even if it messed up the wheel I don't care, I'm not getting out on the side of the road in a dangerous situation to start messing with a flat. People get killed doing that every day.

Glad no one was hurt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd drive on a flat if there was no safe place to get completely off the road to try the factory sealer and tire pump which should be in every car without a spare.

Even if it messed up the wheel I don't care, I'm not getting out on the side of the road in a dangerous situation to start messing with a flat. People get killed doing that every day.

Glad no one was hurt.

To be fair he was fully on a shoulder, and it seemed to be a safe place to park it temporarily.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
To be fair he was fully on a shoulder, and it seemed to be a safe place to park it temporarily.

A shoulder is not a safe place to be, think about it, you're only a couple feet away from cars zooming by who refuse to move over. No, the only safe place is far off the highway or at minimum, on an exit ramp. Three people were killed in my town a few months back messing with a flat tire on the side of the road, it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Safe or dangerous, wise or foolish, the damage is done. If it ever happens again he might handle the roadside emergency differently. I'm with Slidd.

Frankly the damage looks a little too a abrasive and scrapped to be another vehicle. Part of the left rear quarter panel looks ground down along the trim line. And I'm sure the other vehicle would have left quite a few spare parts behind. Call me doubting Thomas.

Another reason I have video cams front and back to record events, even if he car is off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Safe or dangerous, wise or foolish, the damage is done. If it ever happens again he might handle the roadside emergency differently. I'm with Slidd.

Frankly the damage looks a little too a abrasive and scrapped to be another vehicle. Part of the left rear quarter panel looks ground down along the trim line. And I'm sure the other vehicle would have left quite a few spare parts behind. Call me doubting Thomas.

Another reason I have video cams front and back to record events, even if he car is off.
What video cam system do you have? I was thinking about getting something to monitor my car when off as well. I’m have no clue where who is the best option in that field. I want to be able to have evidence if anyone damages my car.

·
Registered
363 Posts
What video cam system do you have? I was thinking about getting something to monitor my car when off as well. I’m have no clue where who is the best option in that field. I want to be able to have evidence if anyone damages my car.

Thinkware Q800 with rear dash cam set up and GPS. You can also get an economical Thinkware F200D front/rear but you need to buy the hardwire kit to make it function in parking mode when the car is off. Otherwise you get the standard plug-in power cord. You can get more detail on Google about it's functionality.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thinkware Q800 with rear dash cam set up and GPS. You can also get an economical Thinkware F200D front/rear but you need to buy the hardwire kit to make it function in parking mode when the car is off. Otherwise you get the standard plug-in power cord. You can get more detail on Google about it's functionality.
Awesome! I appreciate!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Take it as a lesson learned, never repair a flat at roadside.

Ive chosen to destroy a tire on two separate occasions to avoid getting rear ended. Much better off limping to a parking lot and accepting the tire loss.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So my Uncle and I have matching Daytona’s (except colors)
Last week his was banged up pretty good in a hit and run.
From what I understood from the situation was he had pulled over because of a flat tire on some road
He didn’t have any fix a flat or anything to fix it at the time so he walked to a nearby gas station to get some. When he came back he found his car like this: View attachment 290126 View attachment 290129 View attachment 290128 View attachment 290127 View attachment 290125

So the car was hit from the drivers rear quarter and was swiped through the length of the car. The impact pushed the car into the guard rail and damaged the passenger rear quarter panel also. It also looked like the wheels are off axis so the axle is probably bent. The tow truck driver told him there looked like frame damage to top it off.
It maybe salvageable, but he does not want it cause he doesn’t want to have to deal with potential problems in the future... he was told it is about 11k in damages and that’s not including the airbags which were deployed and the possibility of frame damage. (If your curious about the airbags, before he left he put the car in ACC to charge his phone when we walked to the store, so the airbags deployed thinking someone was inside )
This thing only had about 17k miles, hopefully it’s totaled and he can get another, and someone can get a low mileage salvage track car from auction.

OMG I would lose my F***kin mind. For future reference I would buy an $85 Roav dashcam. It is what I use and would have started recording after impact. It would have allowed ID of the individual. GD people texting and driving most likely.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
15 Participants
N8ECH
Charger Forums
ChargerForums to connect with the Dodge Charger community to discuss SRT, Hellcat models, maintenance, mods and more.
Full Forum Listing