Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have daytime running lights on my car , it's a Canadian thing Eh ?
The car is an RT with the automatic headlight fix performed on it.

I've recently noticed that if my DRLs (daytime running lights) are on and I use my turn signal the headlight which is on the same side of the car as the signal turns off. This is consistent and only happens during the day when nothing is on but my DRLs.

Can someone else confirm this behavior for me ? I'd like to know that it's supposed to work that way versus a possible electrical problem with the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like a possible grounding issue with the headlight that is on the same side of the car as the signal.

The headlamp is losing potential (difference between ground and 12 volts) possibly because it may have a floating ground that is getting charged from the turn signal wiring. Put a voltage meter on the ground wire of the headlamp and test to see if it is being charged with 12 volts when the signal lamp blinks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
73_challenger said:
Put a voltage meter on the ground wire of the headlamp and test to see if it is being charged with 12 volts when the signal lamp blinks.
Better yet, take it back to your dealer and tell them to fix it. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know if that is how it is supposed to work or not, but I know here in the US, that a lot of General Motors cars that have DRL do the same thing. The DRL on the side that the turn signal is being used on will shut off until the turn signal goes off.

Again, not sure if that is how it is supposed to work on these cars or not. I assume it is to help increase visability for the turn signal during the day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got my foglights switched on and in the process the dealership turned back on my cars DRL's lol i finally see this thread because after less than 12 hrs of having the car from the shop. I tried to drive it with the DRL's and noticed that the lights would cut off during a signal or signal lane change. I called them back and told them to just turn them off! :driving:

·
Registered
606 Posts
pretty sure this is supposed to happen, basically so the other drivers can see your blinker on, since the DRL's (the high beams) are right next to the signal.

·
Registered
722 Posts
It is normal

Its the Charger wink, its supposed to do that

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
what they said ^ perfectly normal....

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Watch every Chrysler product produced in the last several years. Minivans, Jeeps, LX cars... you name it. That's how the DRL feature works for us. Once you notice it, you'll see it on a bunch of cars. You just never noticed it before because it a} didn't matter to you and b} you'd unconsciously written it off as a burned-out headlight. Now that you have a new car, you recognize that's not the case.

I think the logic is that by removing the DRL on the one side temporarily, it makes the blinking turn signal more obvious. "No light, some light, no light, some light" instead of "light, slightly more light, light, slightly more light".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its the Charger wink, its supposed to do that
LOL I called it the same thing.. and the dealer was at least nice and did try to turn them off til they got the info back that they couldnt.. Oh well!! just funny after 7 months and an upgrade that just "discovered" they werent on to begin with :biggrinjester:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts