Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am a newbe here. 1st time.

I work for a city. They buy police cars, sell them after 1 year.
I LIKE the Dodge Chargers they bought. Thought about buying one next year when they sell them to the public. Have the required maintenance and usually have 35,000 miles. But I am not sure if this is a good idea! I mean, should I buy "factory new" the SRX with all the options like I see on the Dodge web page and Moparparts.com? Or buy a used Dodge Charger Police car?

My use for this car will be driving to/from work. I drive an interstate highway. I want a vehicle that handles VERY well on wet roads, can take the on/off ramp curves VERY WELL, has good acceleration, and has air, a decent stereo (I listen to movie music CD's - no singing) that I can crank up loud. But NOT the car-shaking thump thump.

I read the web pages, including the accessories for the Dodge Charger and think; should I buy the factory or NON-factory suspension upgrades? Should I get the quadife differential. And what about the speakers? I see I can get 6 kicker upgrades for the police car, but no amph or equalizer. The SRX has 11 speakers!!

I don't want luxury or a pillow ride. I want firmness, stability and power.

Any advice anyone would give me would be appreciated.

Thanks for the time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quite a quandry, as the Police packages are quite nice and many options not available to the regualr models....On the other hand, how hard was the car run for those 1st 35,000 miles or so? I can't imagine that they were broken in too well and have seen quite alot of action....I do betchya that HAL has been set pretty aggressively too....Wonder what they're gonna ask for one? Keep us posted and GL.

TB #3034 Flowmasters / Electric cut-outs / Brylcream Mod / Flashpaq SC 91 Perf / 180 therm / Viper Alarm / Clarion V765RX HU flip down DVD NAV MP3 / Tint / K&N CAI / Reversed Trunk Spacers / ESP Delete Mod / Custom painted engine cover / Waiting on Predator Diablo! Soon to come: Shaker Hood

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

One thing to remember about the police Chargers is what officers have to do with them. Idling for long periods, sudden take-offs, the occasional abuse, etc. My reservation here is that for long periods I never saw the rear end of the old Caprice cruisers that didn't have a cracked rear bumper. I guess I always think there's a potential for abuse, but that could just be me and I guess really you're taking that risk with any used car.

On the other hand, their interior package and overall appearance definitely make them unique, and like you said you know it's been properly maintained maintenance-wise.

From what I've been reading (and this is mostly what has been stated around here), the police vehicles are 3.5L V6 models. As an owner of a 3.5L V6, I don't have a problem with it. Like you, I want to work on the suspension rather than making it go faster in a straight line. If you hold out and grab a model with a Hemi, though, your gas mileage on an unobstructed freeway will be about the same as the V6 and you will have more power on tap as well as WAY more aftermarket options.

Given what you want to use the audio system for, the single- or six-disc six-speaker system should work just fine but it usually boils down to individual tastes.

If I'm wrong about anything here, someone feel free to correct me. Knowing is half the battle.™

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome aboard and good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

One thing to remember about the police Chargers is what officers have to do with them. Idling for long periods, sudden take-offs, the occasional abuse, etc. My reservation here is that for long periods I never saw the rear end of the old Caprice cruisers that didn't have a cracked rear bumper. I guess I always think there's a potential for abuse, but that could just be me and I guess really you're taking that risk with any used car.

On the other hand, their interior package and overall appearance definitely make them unique, and like you said you know it's been properly maintained maintenance-wise.

From what I've been reading (and this is mostly what has been stated around here), the police vehicles are 3.5L V6 models. As an owner of a 3.5L V6, I don't have a problem with it. Like you, I want to work on the suspension rather than making it go faster in a straight line. If you hold out and grab a model with a Hemi, though, your gas mileage on an unobstructed freeway will be about the same as the V6 and you will have more power on tap as well as WAY more aftermarket options.

Given what you want to use the audio system for, the single- or six-disc six-speaker system should work just fine but it usually boils down to individual tastes.

If I'm wrong about anything here, someone feel free to correct me. Knowing is half the battle.™
the police charger in I'm home town has 6.1 some might be 3.5 but the one i know of first hand is 6.1 While talking and taking photos! the office claimed he had taken that one up to 160 mph so far.
interior not the greatest and shifter on column

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Don't forget that the police models also have the 3-way ESP that "we" can only get on the SRT models. Another plus is the heavy duty oil cooler, HD brakes, and HD alternator, if these matter to you at all. On the downside, they have a column shifter which will make it harder to drive in "manual" instead of "D" if you care about that at all.

Like MarkCharger indicated, there are some police models that are not 3.5L; you just have to find them.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i saw one just the other day with a hemi in it :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.