Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
06 Charger SRT -
Did the TCM/PCM full reset by pulling fuses 11,14,16, and cyclying the key.
Figured I'd take it out on the interstate and see how it does. First, the throttle response and shifting was much improved, major difference.
So I'm on the interstate, making a few WOT runs, got it up to 105...woo hoo!
Felt great! Car felt like it just wanted to GO!
I make a flip at one of the exits, and the on ramp back has a sharp left uphill turn....the ramp is dry except where a small stream of water is running across the road, maybe a foot wide. There must have been some mud or slime in the stream, cause when I hit it at about 60, I lost traction...felt the car slip. Since the water was only about a foot across, the tires immediately regained traction, no loss of control whatsoever.
Now this is where it gets odd...ALL the dash lights came on - every one of them. No chime, just lights....then a second or so later they all go off except for the VTA light. Then they all come on again a few seconds later and stay on. Engine did not die, still driving, still have power and throttle response. Then I notice all the gauges are at 0; speedo, tach, fuel, temp; all reading flat. I put my flashers on and pull over to the side. I shut it down and restarted it with no issue. Everything appears back to normal, gauges back to reading like they should.
I drive on back home and do the key dance to see if there are any codes, get a U110A. I know from the "U" it's a communication/network error, but so far have been unable to locate the exact definition.
So, any ideas as to why ALL the dash lights would come on, and the gauges all flatlined? Almost sounds like the PCM lost communications with the instrument cluster...but why would the slip on the mud/water cause that?
On the Durangos, if the PCM loses comm with the dash, there's a "No Buss" message in the odometer readout.

I suspect the steering angle sensor and/or traction control went bonkers on the slip, and the PCM freaked out somehow.

I don't believe it's realted to the reset, but not ruling that out either.

Maybe the stored code will tell the tale once it's decoded.

Awaiting the experts to chime in on this before I schedule a trip to the dealer.(Bought a 2 year/100k extended warranty when I got the car ;))

Thanks!

Update: I managed to find that the U110A is loss of communications to the SCCM (Steering Column Control Module). According to what I found, this controls the lights, wipers/washers, turn signals, radio wheel controls, horn, cruise control, EVIC controls, NAV controls (basically everything on the steering column and wheel)
Still have no idea as to why the slipping would have cause this.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
It's the left turn that caused it. you need to re-adjust the steering stalk to correct the steering angle sensor. The ESP kicking in is just part of what caused the cascade.

Didn't I post the steering angle sensor re-adjustment in your previous thread?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's the left turn that caused it. you need to re-adjust the steering stalk to correct the steering angle sensor. The ESP kicking in is just part of what caused the cascade.

Didn't I post the steering angle sensor re-adjustment in your previous thread?
I re-read the post referring to the steering angle adjustment, and while some of the symptoms match, not all do. It was ALL the dash lights that came on in my situation, not just the ABS/ESP/BAS lights.
Keep in mind I'm not disagreeing with you nor trying to argue, and I do appreciate your input and expertise. I'm just concerned there may be more to my issue than what just the SAS adjustment would correct.
I believe I already have the correct size driver, so I will give it a try and see if this corrects the issue. It's only occured twice, once only the VTA light came on, the second all the lights came on.
Some of the other posters with the SAS out of adjustment issue posted they had trouble actually turning the steering wheel, and that the issue appeared regularly and was predictable. This is not the case with my car, no trouble steering, and this jumped up and suprised me out of nowhere. Never happened like this before. but it is interesting to note, when the VTA lit up, and again on this incident, it was a left hand turn it occured on....
Do you think this is how the issue that others have posted about(hard steering, turn signals sticking, etc) begins, and will only get worse until the SAS is adjusted?
FYI - I have a pretty basic understanding of how cars work, but am totally unfamiliar with how all the computers and sensors in this beast work together - but I'm learning rapidly. My 03 Durango has a handful of sensors and a couple of computers, but nothing compared to the Charger.
I'll give the SAS adjustment a shot when it gets light enough out to see.....

I DO appreciate your assistance on this issue!!!

THANK YOU!

EDIT: From what I am finding/reading on the SCCM adjustment procedure, it appears this can be done without disassembling the steering column. Am I correct in understanding what I am reading? Basically loosen the retaining screw approx 4 turns(located on the passenger side of the column) then pull the entire assembly up(towards the sterring wheel), hold it in place and re-tighten the retaining screw.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. All the information I have been able to locate was in Dodge-related forums - I do not have a FSM for reference and all the diagrams I could find are the same, evidently from the same original source, and appear to indicate the adjustment can be done without removing any parts from the steering column or steering wheel.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I had the same thing happen last week driving in the snow. Happened 3 times in about 15 mins. All the lights flashed, and I also got the chime. Then everything went back to normal. Hadn't happened before, hasn't happened since.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Do you think this is how the issue that others have posted about(hard steering, turn signals sticking, etc) begins, and will only get worse until the SAS is adjusted?
The steering angle sensor may need a calibration, not an adjustment. There's no mechanical change, just a re-learning of what electrical signal the sensor is sending and how it translates into the angle the wheels are at. The calibration is done for the traction control system and shouldn't have any effect on the actual operation of the power steering or mechanical switches.

EDIT: From what I am finding/reading on the SCCM adjustment procedure, it appears this can be done without disassembling the steering column. Am I correct in understanding what I am reading? Basically loosen the retaining screw approx 4 turns(located on the passenger side of the column) then pull the entire assembly up(towards the sterring wheel), hold it in place and re-tighten the retaining screw.
Yes, this sounds about right.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189698 (last post by tbird100636)

A couple more things that I've heard can cause similar symptoms:
If you have the telescoping steering column extended all the way (towards the driver), sometimes the clockspring electrical connector makes intermittent contact. Easy fix is to not have the steering wheel telescoped all the way out.

A failing ignition switch can cause intermittent electrical gremlins. Not sure what the easy way to check this is.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done the SAS calibration (start car, turn wheel to each lock and hold, back straight, shut off car) but the code is still stored. (key dance)
Is there a certain number of drive cycles or a time period before the code clears; or do I have to pull the fuses to clear it?
I tried taking some hard left turns to see if I could trip the lights, and was not able. Not sure if the calibration "took" or if I just didn't duplicate the circumstances enough to cause the sensor to throw a fault.
I have not moved the SCCM on the column yet, waiting outcome of this test.

Again, a BIG THANK YOU to all that have responded with their advice and expertise.:bowdown:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
U110A is a code that means that some module lost communication with the SCCM. Any module that notices lack of communication with the SCCM can set this code. Sorry, I don't know if the code goes away on its own or needs to be cleared.

Pulling fuses might not properly clear the code since you don't know which module set the code; a battery disconnect for 3-5 minutes should be plenty for the code to clear regardless of where it got set.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
U110A is a code that means that some module lost communication with the SCCM. Any module that notices lack of communication with the SCCM can set this code. Sorry, I don't know if the code goes away on its own or needs to be cleared.

Pulling fuses might not properly clear the code since you don't know which module set the code; a battery disconnect for 3-5 minutes should be plenty for the code to clear regardless of where it got set.
I was referring to specifically pulling fuses 11,14, & 16 to reset the PCM and TCM. From what I understand, this procedure will reset the adaptives and clear any stored codes.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Pulling those fuses will clear the PCM and TCM adaptives and clear any PCM and TCM codes. Not sure if it will clear codes that were set by a different module. A battery disconnect will definitely take care of both the adaptives reset and the codes.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:
Well, after 8 hours or so at the dealer, I feel this issue has been put to bed.
The dash lighting up and gauges going to 0 has been happening more frequently the last several weeks, so off to the dealer we went.

After an exhaustive electrical inspection both visually and with their OBD scanners, and a rather lengthy test drive, the root cause was found to my electrical issues.

First, with the dash lights and gauges;
In the rear PDC, there is a circuit with diodes (1?, 2?, don't think they said?) that provides power to the all the controllers reward of and including the dash. The connections to the diodes was crimped, and had worked loose, causing everything from the dash and rearward that is controlled by one of the computers/controllers to loose power, including the SCCM, HVAC, etc.
The connection was repaired.

Secondly, the brake/park interlock module;
On the service brake switch, there are 2 circuits, one of the circuits on the switch had failed. If when sitting in park, foot on the brake for about 5 minutes, the park interlock will "seize", and not allow the shifter to be moved from park until the car is restarted. This was throwing a communications DTC. You could still use the emergency release to move to drive if you need to. The brake switch was replaced at a cost for parts of 26.25 + labor.

So far(knock on wood), neither issue has reared its ugly head since the repair. Time will tell for sure, if they come back I'll update again.

All the controller modules checked out fine after the intermittent power connection was identified and repaired and the brake switch replaced.

Thought I would update my post, might help others having similair issues and possibily help to solve them or at least give them a place to start looking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
well this topic is interesting i only had this happen once when i was attempting donuts in the lot on base in the snow.. you know the first snow fall of the year and suddenly everyoone becomes vaugh gitten

<---- this guy

anyways i hammered and slid it around then all the lights flashed and went off and the car was def dumb and quiet. i let it sit for a while and then restarted it, no issues.

since then i put a predator on it and reset the tcm so... we'll see?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts