Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm finished with the front fender moulds, I'm kicking around once again the idea of making a rear widebody as seen in the 2009 danko charger renders, but I was thinking now that people would want it wider than the stock rear quarters unlike my original plan of just making the top part fatter. If I was to do this, how much wider should I make the rear? seems to me like it should be between 1" to 2" wider to hold some fatter meats on the back. I want it to be possible to use between 10" - 12" rims. On most rims, doesn't the extra width of the rim get split and 1/2 goes in and the other 1/2 comes out ?

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Mo, I would suspect that a 2inch width increase would be the way to go if you would like to offer it to those wanting to do 12" rims. As far as the width increase in rims, if the backspacing stays the same then the additional width goes out not in, thus requiring a 2 inch width increase in the body as opposed to a one inch. Of course, I would go with a 2 inch increase over a one but someone else might tell you that a 1" is sufficient! Depends on how you like a look and depends on how low you go with lowering springs/coilovers/airride. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a quick photoshop of around a 2" widebody compared to the first version. Wouldn't look that much different from the side, but the tires would be much fatter and the direct front and read view would be much more aggressive.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Nice! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Don't mean to take the thread off topic but umm.... what happend to the fascia? I thought you'd be starting work on that after the fenders!! :-( :-(

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't mean to take the thread off topic but umm.... what happend to the fascia? I thought you'd be starting work on that after the fenders!! :-( :-(

Don't worry, I am starting work on the fascia, I actually have on order the headlights already, they are 4.75" diameter twin round lights with halos and projectors too!!! I like to work on many projects at the same time and since I've wrapped up all of my old projects, I'm anxious to start some new ones.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't worry, I am starting work on the fascia, I actually have on order the headlights already, they are 4.75" diameter twin round lights with halos and projectors too!!! I like to work on many projects at the same time and since I've wrapped up all of my old projects, I'm anxious to start some new ones.
:banana: Oh I'm hoping for Santa to bring me Danko Parts this year! :banana:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
im already putting money aside slowly for front fasica! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mo, if you make the front fascia, could you look into choosing a manufacturer/size of headlights that are also available with E-code so we can enjoy your front also overseas?

Grtz Koen

P.S. a 1" wider body looks enough for me. otherwise you also have to do a lot of work to your doors...

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mo, if you make the front fascia, could you look into choosing a manufacturer/size of headlights that are also available with E-code so we can enjoy your front also overseas?

Grtz Koen

P.S. a 1" wider body looks enough for me. otherwise you also have to do a lot of work to your doors...
Not true, the work would be the exact same either size. It's a lot of work, that why people are saying if they were to spend the $$ then they would want a noticeable difference from stock.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK than it doesn't matter...
I also think that this would be a much needed solution to our cars problems. The old school muscle cars could produce huge power and could fit huge fat tires in the giant wheel wells, while these modern hemis can smoke them all day long but have no space to have a decent fat tire to take advantage of all that power. I think drag racers will really appreciate the 2" widebody. I will make it look so factory looking that most folks would not notice it unless they were familiar with these cars.

·
Registered
220 Posts
How much are you thinking the cost will be on these kits?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
How much are you thinking the cost will be on these kits?
That's hard to say, but I would guess around $800 including the Gas cap, chrome bezel, hoses and all the other installation hardware to do the job. They will be very easy to install for a body shop - they will have special flanges to screw them onto the car all the way around and the blending work will be minimal with this design.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cool. I can't wait to see this happen. I want to do some custom paint, so this will go hand in hand. Then wider wheels, bags, cutouts... Oh, the mods never stop:)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Mo, looks awesome! I can't wait to see what you do and how you do it. To answer your question on wheel width. The wider you go, the wider the outer lip and not the inner hoop. The inner is set on a max width, which is 6"+ or so. I'm running 22X10.5, 3 pc forged, 6" inner hoop and 4 1/2" outer hoop. So if you add 2", I'll change my outer hoop to 6 1/2".
So if the fender is an add on, you would have to cut some of the original fender to allow clearance for the wider wheels, or else it will rub.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here is what is in store for the rear, I'm already working on it!

hope you have all this done before next summer...im putting my car away for the winter but if you have that fascia done with the grill, the widebody kit and fenders im buying them all at once right beofr ethe summer so i can have it all ready!

1 - 20 of 226 Posts