Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After many years of promising that ONE DAY... I would come out with a V6 shaker, I'm finally gonna make good on my promise. What you see here is a local costumer's SXT 3.5L V6 Magnum. We are custom installing the shaker on his car and in the mean time, we will be making some new shaker base moulds so we can offer this same product to the masses. It will have a FULL sealed system, but it will be internally mounted, so the air box will be completely discarded. Anybody who is interested in this product, please let me know and I'll get your name on the list!! This should be available VERY soon as I have a hard deadline to get this done quickly and he needs his car back. Enjoy the pics!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
THANK YOU! I can't put my name on the list yet but I will in the future. This has been on my list of things to do to mine. You guys are great!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Got any more pics yet?

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
Not something i'd to my car but really interested of the finished install pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Before I can design the shaker pieces under the hood,I need a shaker hood with a hole in it so I might as well get this out of the way.
People always seem nervous about this step and I always tell them, this is the easiest part of the job and if you are gonna take it to the body shop to have this done, do yourself a favor and cut the hole first yourself to save money as the body shop overcharges for this since it appears difficult...You are now gonna see just how easy it is to do one of these shaker hoods. This is my fifth one. First you take off the hood

Then I put lots of tape on the hood to protect the paint and centered the pattern on the hood...pretty easy so far.

Next step would be to draw a dark line where to cut with a pen and then put another layer of 2" masking tape over the hood and retrace the cut line (you can see the dark line under the tape)

Here goes the first hole! no too hard to do!

And finally, I just cut out the hole with my cheapy jig saw and a 4 1/2" blade. I'd recommend a longer blade if you can find one, but this one barely was long enough and it worked pretty well. Tilting the blade about 15 degrees like you see here is REAL important, the hole on the bottom of the hood is basically larger than the hole on the top so the hood brace will go on easily.

Now, to find out how I did... the only damage to the paint was in the front on the hood ridges that stick up. Good thing that the chips in the paint are well within my 2" zone that will be completely covered up with the trim ring...

The hood brace is pre grinded and actually went all the way down and just dropped right in with not even any work to clean up the hole. and there was no side to side movement and no question exactly where it goes!!! A few minutes of screwing the 16 self tapping screws in the marked locations and we are just about done!

Next I put the insulation back in place and marked it about 1/2" inboard of the hood brace and got my big sissors and chopped out the center.

In go the 2 insulation pieces with the factory plastic retainers and we are done on the bottom!!

For now, I just temporarily stuck the trim ring on with double sided tape. Once it gets painted, I will install it properly with 3M tape and some adhesive underneath. It's a perfect fit as unsual and sits right onto the hood brace flange.

Now to get the hood back on!

Notice the Holley High performance air filter peeking through the scoops. this is what we will use on the inside so the factory airbox will not be needed.

Stay tuned for some more updates as I fly through this project. Got plenty of projects going on right now so I got to get this one done quick and get his car back to him!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updates: Today I spent a lot of time getting the shaker centered and sitting just right so I can start on the mounts.

Here is a pic of the 2 front mount. The 2 rear ones are a bit more tricky and will take a little longer to figure out.

Now I'm to the point that I can start shaping the inside of the shaker base to flow with the lines of the engine. There will be a large removable cover (hole on the right) to access the oil filler lid.

Stay tuned for more updates!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
wow, this is AWESOME. just to clarify, this is true ram air correct? And will you still use the factory air box? Sorry for the dumb questions....

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
wow, this is AWESOME. just to clarify, this is true ram air correct? And will you still use the factory air box? Sorry for the dumb questions....
This shaker version will be sold in 2 stages:

1) non functional (besides of course: A) Acting as a Heat Extractor B) Cooling the exhaust like the SRT hood does. C) Being able to see your engine shake!)

2) All of those "important" benefits of stage 1 along with a FULLY Sealed RAM AIR with a high flow Holly filter that is designed for a V8 and mounted INSIDE the scoop, leaving the spot for your air box open for a supercharger !

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Any way to make it work with say a 14x3 or similar round filter to make it look more "old school" and have more options for replacements if/when needed.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Any way to make it work with say a 14x3 or similar round filter to make it look more "old school" and have more options for replacements if/when needed.
NO! this is all you V6 people get so be happy LOL Anyway there is not enough room inside the shaker for that

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now for the daily update :D I gotta tell ya, I spent an entire day Just looking at this darn engine trying to figure out a resonable way to make rear mounts to the shaker....After many long hours, I established that there are no good places to mount directly to the shaker hense I will need to make a sub-mounting platform to mount the rear shaker mounts!!! so after all this work, here is what I came up with... The 2 mounts fasten under the rear intake lid bolts, and then the 3"x8" aluminum platform bolts up to those. Tomarrow I'll install the 2 rear shaker mounts onto the platform and it will be more clear where I'm going with this...Stay tuned for more updates!!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here is a picture of the rear shaker mounts in their final resting place after wandering under the hood for days...

My Air Tubing hardware finally came in today and I am NOT happy where the hoses land..right in the middle of the stupid sensor mounted on top of that cover, and right ontop of the dang oil filler cap... No worries...cant move the sensor so I just ordered (overnight delivery) some new hardware to try to alleviate this situation. Anyway, you can now check out the mega cool Old School Holly High Flow air filter that I will use inside the shaker! Dont worry, a full water management system will be in place to take care of the water.

Finally, I was able to plant all 4 Shaker mounts receivers into the shaker base so you can see where the mounts will end up. This shaker is now officially mounted!! all that is left to do is to finalize the shape of the inside of the shaker to accept the air filter and air hoses and water system. Stay tuned for some more pics on this fast moving project!!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spent a lot of time today tweeking the shape of the base plate and smoothing out the mounting areas.

Finally, I was able to plant all 4 Shaker mounts receivers into the shaker base so you can see where the mounts will end up. This shaker is now officially mounted!! all that is left to do is to finalize the shape of the inside of the shaker to accept the air filter and air hoses and water system. Stay tuned for some more pics on this fast moving project!!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the new air pipe hardware and I'm glad to see that this set up clears both the oil filler cap and the sensor >!< After test fitting the base it is clear that not much of the air hose wil be visible and there will be easy access to the oil fill lid without even removing the shaker scoop so there will be no reason for an access lid under the scoop like I originally planned! I ordered some replacement aluminum tube cause I think it may look better but not sure which one I'll use at this point. I'll be working on Sunday getting this car ready for pickup so stay tuned for some more updates ~

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's finally time to figure out the filter mounting situation. It took many trials with many spacer plates, bolting the scoop on and off over and over and checking inside clearance and future manifold positioning in relation to the air pipes. After careful consideration, I picked this position so it would be back far enough to be able to create the largest possible lower manifold with the least restriction of air flow with a full size 3" ID pipe instead of the standard 2.75" TBI the car comes with. Once the baseplate was bonded to the shaker base, I next fiberglassed it in. This final step basically concludes the design portion of the shaker base. I'm now putting the customers car back together so he can pick it up with a Danko loaner hood installed until I can get the mould finished of the engine cover. The next step will be to totally rework the entire piece with bondo and make it look like a thing of beauty before I make the mould. The design of the lower manifold (to facilitate an air connection) will have to wait until I get a V6 production shaker base to work with and then we can contiue with that design work so at this point the shaker is still non functional without the air connection. Stay tuned for more updates as this project progresses!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been working on this on and off while trying to figure out exactly what i wanted. I decided on this design. This highly effective straight shot ram air design is gonna also work with the 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi and be adaptable to function with a supercharger as well!

·
Registered
964 Posts
looking MO.. cant wait to see the final product

1 - 20 of 48 Posts